Vladimir Ivić

28 minutes ago, striker said:

Some good points. If that's the choice Chansiri has made, that's who we have for the next few months.

I think it will be difficult to buy into any sort of long term tenure beyond the end of the season. I don't think his character suits the squad or meets the attributes stated by Chansiri. Which is the cause of my reluctance.

Been reported by a few, Nixon amongst others the relationship between a certain advisor and the owner's of Watford. That doesn't sit easy with me, Watford will usually have a financial outlay as part of his severance package until he gets a new job, now being recommend to us, despite not meeting the person specification inferred by Chansiri, it just seems a bit murky.

I'm not as against him as I was Pulis, just think it's a bit of a waste of time appointment. Just re watched the game vs Watford earlier this season, not much to get excited about there, especially considering the players he had at his disposal. But as you say he does have a decent points per game ratio. 

There isn't much we as fans (or is it customers?) can do about who the manager is. Not that that should stop debate on the subject. Likewise, you've made some good points and if there is an proven link between the clubs (Nixon is often right on things and certainly has more knowledge than the average fan), it could be that we are simply the fall guys for Watford's finances. That's no reason to employ anyone. Hard to prove beyond any reasonable doubt of course, but that won't stop speculation or rumour. Like you said; it's a bit murky.

If it does turn out to he Ivic and based on what you've said, which is more that plausable, to me that would just enforce my concerns about the type of advice DC is receiving, and who ultimately that is benefitting. Because it sure as hell isn't us.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

There isn't much we as fans (or is it customers?) can do about who the manager is. Not that that should stop debate on the subject. Likewise, you've made some good points and if there is an proven link between the clubs (Nixon is often right on things and certainly has more knowledge than the average fan), it could be that we are simply the fall guys for Watford's finances. That's no reason to employ anyone. Hard to prove beyond any reasonable doubt of course, but that won't stop speculation or rumour. Like you said; it's a bit murky.

If it does turn out to he Ivic and based on what you've said, which is more that plausable, to me that would just enforce my concerns about the type of advice DC is receiving, and who ultimately that is benefitting. Because it sure as hell isn't us.

Agree. Not much we can do, suppose we could hope to look forward to some wins at least (hopefully) based on his stats.

It may just be a case of us making contact with the shortlist and someone in Serbia got excited or lost in translation. Only time will tell.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

I remember when Chansiri came to the club, all the talk about entertaining, attacking football.

Since then he’s gone on to hire Carlos Carvalhal, Jos Luhukay, Tony Pulis and now possibly this guy.

At a time when fans are falling out with the club in their droves (largely thanks to the chairman) he goes and tries to bring in another negative manager to serve up more boring garbage like what has been inflicted upon us for the vast majority of the Dejphon Chansiri era.

Absolute genius!!!:Chansiri:

• Like 1

Excerpt from "thesackrace.com";

"On paper, Ivic ticked all the boxes. Young, exciting, no-nonsense and a 'winner.' However the reality, despite their league position is that they have been below average in all but one game this season, but more importantly  the style of football has been poor and painful to watch"

Excerpt from "thetotallyfootballshow";

"Watford sacked Vladimir Ivic because his style of football was too dreary, and that they want a younger more dynamic coach."

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

"On paper, Ivic ticked all the boxes. Young, exciting, no-nonsense and a 'winner.' However the reality, despite their league position is that they have been below average in all but one game this season, but more importantly  the style of football has been poor and painful to watch"

"Watford sacked Vladimir Ivic because his style of football was too dreary, and that they want a younger more dynamic coach."

Younger? He's only 43!

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Last thing we need after Monk and Pulis. It is possible to fight, be solid and attack occasionally. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

So it wasn't a done deal, then he signed and it was a done deal...

Yeah sure. You don't reckon Green would have known he was signing a good few days before he actually travelled up? So a good itk journo would have known that too. Nixon is all guess work. 

• Like 1

Mourinho’s style of play is not exactly Brazil is it? But he’s got results at every club he’s managed. Maybe Ivic and Watford weren’t the right fit.  Their fans clearly feel they are entitled to winning and entertaining football.  Fortunately we aren’t used to either.  

Watford have previously sacked Rodgers,   Dyche, Pearson, Silva, Jackett, Jokanovic.  They obviously have very high standards to meet 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, s29wfc said:

Yeah sure. You don't reckon Green would have known he was signing a good few days before he actually travelled up? So a good itk journo would have known that too. Nixon is all guess work. 

I know for a fact and from experience that Nixon is one of the most well informed journos regarding Wednesday (and a number of other clubs) out there. He has direct links to several levels at the club and in the industry in general.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DeeJayOne said:

I know for a fact and from experience that Nixon is one of the most well informed journos regarding Wednesday (and a number of other clubs) out there. He has direct links to several levels at the club and in the industry in general.

Alex Lopez always springs to mind when when talking about Nixon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Alex Lopez always springs to mind when when talking about Nixon.

Twice I've told him something is happening and he shot me down, he didn't even say he hadn't heard it etc just said it wasn't happening (which it did) 

Don't doubt he has contacts, you'd expect that with his job, but he's far from always right (not even just with swfc) 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

And?

When he said There was nothing in the Lopez rumour, later that day he had signed too. You may be right about having good links to Wednesday, But he also hedges his bets a hell of a lot and also gets stuff wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Mourinho’s style of play is not exactly Brazil is it? But he’s got results at every club he’s managed. Maybe Ivic and Watford weren’t the right fit.  Their fans clearly feel they are entitled to winning and entertaining football.  Fortunately we aren’t used to either.  

Watford have previously sacked Rodgers,   Dyche, Pearson, Silva, Jackett, Jokanovic.  They obviously have very high standards to meet 

It’s a great point about their previous managers,  maybe we are trying to cash in on them letting the next decent one go 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I just don’t think the players need an authoritative, disciplinarian type manager just after we got rid of one. This bloke sounds in the same mould as Pulis. But a bit younger and maybe a bit less hoof ball.

Is it what we want?  

Probably not. Difficult to assess his suitability based on his time in Greece and Israel and  more red flags than positives from his time at Watford

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3mps said:

Twice I've told him something is happening and he shot me down, he didn't even say he hadn't heard it etc just said it wasn't happening (which it did) 

Don't doubt he has contacts, you'd expect that with his job, but he's far from always right (not even just with swfc) 

7 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

When he said There was nothing in the Lopez rumour, later that day he had signed too. You may be right about having good links to Wednesday, But he also hedges his bets a hell of a lot and also gets stuff wrong.

Nobody is ever 100% knowledgable about everything. Most people in the club itself doesn't know about a signing until it happens.

But when Nixon does have knowledge, he has real knowledge and is quite open with it. He is rarely wrong about the things he knows and he doesn't pin his hat on the things he doesn't know for certain (like others do). The very nature of a good journalist.

Nixon can usually be trusted on the stuff he does say.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I just don’t think the players need an authoritative, disciplinarian type manager just after we got rid of one. This bloke sounds in the same mould as Pulis. But a bit younger and maybe a bit less hoof ball.

Is it what we want?  

they need someone that can be strict but at the same time put his arm around certain players that need that. I don’t think Ivic is that man. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Is it what we want?  

Not sure I buy this argument Sal. There is no suggestion Pulis was “authoritarian” at Wednesday, he was just out dated with his tactics and to be honest I think he wanted out as soon as he got in. Ivic is a lot younger than Pulis and you’d think a lot more in touch with the modern footballer. Carlos apparently ran a holiday camp and that was the blame for his downfall.
To be honest it’s all testicles anyway because it hinges on one thing only and that’s results. If your winning it works and your a genius and if your losing your the worst manager there has ever been. Right time, right place, right manager.

• Like 2
  • Love 1