Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I’m not a massive Cook fan. I can see sensible practical reasons for hiring him. Just like I could Bruce for example That’s all. He’s got a good overall record in this country and generally has played positive football and will bring an overall air of positivity. 
 

I can see very upsides  to the other guy. 


 

 

Apart from his high win percentage at every club he has managed, including Watford? There wasn't much of an air of positivity about Cook coming out of Wigan until the games after lock-down last season, the feeling among their fans was similar to that of Ivic in terms of the style of football.

 

Cook would have been a good choice for me but by that token I wouldn't immediately say Ivic would be a bad choice, just because he isn't a cheeky chappy scouser with a media personality. 

  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Comment from a Watford fan about Ivic on another forum:

 

 

Well if you want more dull ,negative, sleep inducing football he is your man !

Ok results weren’t bad but boy the performances were soulless and depressing at a time when fans need cheering up.

Only scored away 5 goals up till Ivic went and that is with some decent attacking players.

 

 

 

Watford have a new manager and have scored 3 goals in 3 games since Ivic left. Exciting times are back at Vicarage Road! 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

Watford have a new manager and have scored 3 goals in 3 games since Ivic left. Exciting times are back at Vicarage Road! 

Has this bloke hired you as his campaign manager?

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Has this bloke hired you as his campaign manager?

 

 

 

I wish!

I know hardly anything about him but having looked at his managerial record I am not going to dismiss him on the basis that some Watford fans didn't like him when they were 5th in the division having won 40% of their games. Some players didn't like him either, the same group of players that self-destructed last season and got relegated. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flash said:

Dom has just stated that reports of us offering it him are wide of the mark! 
 

Hope this is true personally! 


AKA

 

I’ve checked Nixon’s twitter and he says he didn’t think he’d been offered the job

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From David Ornstein's column in The Athletic this morning:

 

Vladimir Ivic approached to take over from Tony Pulis at Wednesday

 

Former Watford boss Vladimir Ivic was approached by Sheffield Wednesday over their managerial vacancy, Adam Leventhal can reveal. It’s understood an agent working on behalf of the club made an enquiry to representatives of the Serbian at the end of December — around the time that Tony Pulis was sacked after just 45 days in charge.

 

Ivic is known to be keen to get back into management, but it’s thought that the instability of the Hillsborough job may have contributed to him looking for opportunities elsewhere. He has remained with his family in Hertfordshire after his sacking by Watford on December 19, rather than returning to his home in Greece.

 

The 43-year-old is keen to find the right club after his time at Vicarage Road lasted just four months. He won nine of his 22 games in charge and left with Watford in the Championship play-off places. Sources close to Ivic say that alternative approaches have been made from clubs in England and the Middle East, but the right project hasn’t presented itself as yet.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, misterro said:

Ivic is known to be keen to get back into management, but it’s thought that the instability of the Hillsborough job may have contributed to him looking for opportunities elsewhere. 

 

908565566_ShockMild.gif.aa58699705de3a4381ed3037762ac4bf.gif

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, misterro said:

From David Ornstein's column in The Athletic this morning:

 

Vladimir Ivic approached to take over from Tony Pulis at Wednesday

 

Former Watford boss Vladimir Ivic was approached by Sheffield Wednesday over their managerial vacancy, Adam Leventhal can reveal. It’s understood an agent working on behalf of the club made an enquiry to representatives of the Serbian at the end of December — around the time that Tony Pulis was sacked after just 45 days in charge.

 

Ivic is known to be keen to get back into management, but it’s thought that the instability of the Hillsborough job may have contributed to him looking for opportunities elsewhere. He has remained with his family in Hertfordshire after his sacking by Watford on December 19, rather than returning to his home in Greece.

 

The 43-year-old is keen to find the right club after his time at Vicarage Road lasted just four months. He won nine of his 22 games in charge and left with Watford in the Championship play-off places. Sources close to Ivic say that alternative approaches have been made from clubs in England and the Middle East, but the right project hasn’t presented itself as yet.


Surely not another one with reservations of taking the job on.

 

lol

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve remembered why these threads aren’t for me. 
 

“Ooooooh he’s doesn’t know if he wants to come or not, because... it’s so so so crazy at Sheffield Wednesday!” 

So he might sign.
He might not sign. 
And Wednesday are perceived as a mess. 

 

Exclusive ! 
 

:duntmatter:
 

 

 

(Sorry about me). 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Howson is saying reports wide of mark as he is used by Wednesday to put a good spin on things from Wednesday perspective regularly think it can be assumed that offer of job was not accepted or some other snag such as work permit issues have got in way.

 

We have clearly spoken with this guy and probably wanted him as manager but it was indicated over a week ago he was in line to be appointed and then to happen on Thursday. Believe yesterdays reports from Serbia were talking about what had happened over last week. if we get to Monday and nothing has happened think its certain something went wrong.

 

Athletic report indicates Ivic turned job down as club is not stable enough.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Can’t blame him for turning the job down. 

The way it stands it would be very difficult to get any foreign coach let alone a good one. How many people are going to uproot family for what is now 4month contract. When you consider requirement to get tested before travel and requirement toisolate for 10 days it means returning home would not be possible and what not arrive until February.

 

The idiotic nature of our recruitment is beyond belief. 

 

Cook has said he would take job until end of season. The majority of fans want him and them who do not it is for non footballreasons. The guy knows the division. Has good CV is well respected in football. The media like him. Place neds a lift and apparently thatis what he does. 

 

We are in precarious position and you see all sorts of non descripts being linked with job and he keeps going for individuals who play defensive football when he says he wants the opposite. If he picks a donkey when a well respected coach was available and wants job if he thinks hostility has been bad he has seen nothing.

 

DC needs to use some common sense.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What do we think the reasoning is behind appointing someone on a 4 month contract?

 

  • Waiting on someone in work to become available in the summer?
  • Not wanting to commit to a big contract in case we are relegated?
  • Potential investment on the horizon?
  • Been burnt too many times so wants to trial the next person?

There has got to be a reason behind it. I know that some of the decisions made by the chairman seem to lack logic but this seems to be a considered approach. He only appointed Pulis on a short contract also. It indicates that there is something bigger at play here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wmb said:

What do we think the reasoning is behind appointing someone on a 4 month contract?

 

  • Waiting on someone in work to become available in the summer?
  • Not wanting to commit to a big contract in case we are relegated?
  • Potential investment on the horizon?
  • Been burnt too many times so wants to trial the next person?

There has got to be a reason behind it. I know that some of the decisions made by the chairman seem to lack logic but this seems to be a considered approach. He only appointed Pulis on a short contract also. It indicates that there is something bigger at play here. 

 

You missed a reason from your list.

 

Only 4 months left in season.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

 

You missed a reason from your list.

 

Only 4 months left in season.

Regardless of the time left in the season it's still unusual practice. (I know there's nothing usual about this club).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wmb said:

Regardless of the time left in the season it's still unusual practice. (I know there's nothing usual about this club).

 

TBF I didn't know it had been stated that we were only looking to appoint a manager for 4 months.

I just replied with that addition in case it were to happen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm begging to wonder whether they have talked to a few candidates and all have asked for demands that Chansiri won't give them or they wont touch it with a barge pole!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...