Vladimir Ivić

So I just looked through the stats from Watford's games this season. They started the season with a 5-4-1, spent most of the games after that with a 5-3-2, before briefly switching to 4-4-2 and the mixing it up the last few games.

The things others have said about Ivic being a pragmatic, defensive manager seem to ring true - they rarely had lots of shots in a game, and didn't seem to dominate many matches (e.g. even against the worst teams in the league - Wycombe, Rotherham, us(!), both teams had a similar amount of shots). The only two games where they seemed to have loads of chances and dominate were a 4-1 win at home to Preston, and ironically, the 2-0 defeat to Huddersfield that got him sacked. They were very rarely outclassed either - lots of close matches.

I'm not saying its a terrible record - but he didn't seem to settle into a system, and with the wealth of players at his disposal I would have expected a little more. But his record up to then was very impressive - perhaps there's more to what happened at Watford than meets the eye.

I wasn't very impressed with the 5-4-1 they set up with at Hillsboro - although to be fair he seemed to make changes at half-time and Watford looked better in the second half.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

1. I don’t support Chansiri and want him out of the club too, so you have assumed wrong there. 

2. Unlike some people I try to find the positive in things that might be happening with our club, including hiring a manager who has won league titles and cups. 

3. I find your post above saying I’m talking poo offensive. This is a forum to discuss opinions, if you don’t like it then you should explain why.  

All this tosh about “I’m happy being bored”. It’s not an either or. I’ve had enough of the negative, passive football we’ve played over the last few seasons - and I stress the I. Why not try something radical - a manager that wants to get on the front foot? 

44 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I can’t believe it’s going to be anyone other than Thompson till the end of the season. 
Just feel it’s heading that way. 
Not too long to wait I hope whichever way it’s going to go!

I did think that up until today..he's spoken to 3 we now know of, probably more...don't think he would bother if Thomson until end of season.

Wouldn't be against Thomson btw

• Thanks 1

I can think of plenty of more “pragmatic”, “reactive” managers (both of which are euphemisms for defensive managers that you like) that have been successful at Wednesday than freeflowing, attack minded ones. 

We just want to bloody win some games. That’s what makes us feel good and that’s the only common denominator between all the managers we’ve liked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something doesn’t make sense. People are saying Chansiri meddles in the team etc. He sacks Pulis coz the football is poo. Not only that, he comes on telly and tells everyone. So, if he’s a meddler and wants attacking footy, why would he appoint this guy?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Something doesn’t make sense. People are saying Chansiri meddles in the team etc. He sacks Pulis coz the football is poo. Not only that, he comes on telly and tells everyone. So, if he’s a meddler and wants attacking footy, why would he appoint this guy?

Let's be honest if this time next year we were in top half of championship playing decent football scoring plenty and challenging for play offs then 99% of fans wouldn't give a damn who the manager was or who was suggesting / sourcing the players.

• Like 1

Like@Emerson Thomegood informative post said above he does sound pragmatic at his time at Watford, but was doing well. After reading up on him I think he is strict, but fair and wouldn't be hard all the time. Would you prefer carlos's level of strictness or someone who treats the job seriously? I feel some people have too much of a negative outlook, but I can't really blame you 100% haha. I guess if he gets appointed we will soon find out everything. Also if Chansiri wants a foreign head coach, I would think Fink (no pun intended haha) would suit his "attacking style" more though.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, striker said:

And so the dreary football continues. 

Would be underwhelming with a sense of inevitability about his sacking in a couple of months. 

Based on what a few Watford fans have said?

He had a 40% win percentage, the best defensive record in the division and the joint best home record. 

Seems he got a few of the Watford players backs with his no nonsense methods, maybe they should look closer to home given the way they managed to get themselves relegated last season.