The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

1 hour ago, DlNGLE said:

We’re making poor investments all the time, but at the same we’ve got 5or6 sort after players that are well worth a few quid,  we’re getting the best out of a very low budget, due to having a very good recruitment policy/strategy coupled with a brilliant data driven recruitment team. Who are finding young undervalued players with plenty of room for improvement all the time,  and we’re employing good coaches with proven ability to play the style of football we’ve recruited for, as well as a record of developing players.  whilst the players will inevitably be sold at some point if the do indeed realise their undoubted potential, as long as we reap the rewards on the pitch before they are sold we’ll be fine and continue to move forward as a club, because the people behind their recruitment in the first place, will continue to keep recruiting in the same manor. 

It's a matter of time before your recruitment team is broken up and poached too. Football is all about money and status. Barnsley is and always will be a stepping stone club. 

1 hour ago, DlNGLE said:

We’re making poor investments all the time, but at the same we’ve got 5or6 sort after players that are well worth a few quid,  we’re getting the best out of a very low budget, due to having a very good recruitment policy/strategy coupled with a brilliant data driven recruitment team. Who are finding young undervalued players with plenty of room for improvement all the time,  and we’re employing good coaches with proven ability to play the style of football we’ve recruited for, as well as a record of developing players.  whilst the players will inevitably be sold at some point if the do indeed realise their undoubted potential, as long as we reap the rewards on the pitch before they are sold we’ll be fine and continue to move forward as a club, because the people behind their recruitment in the first place, will continue to keep recruiting in the same manor. 

Terrible grammar, and wrong forum 

Si thee 

4 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Now 16/1 at skybet, wonder whats happened there then 🤔

I repeat.

Where was Moore in our odds.

Don't read into bookies odds. Especially ******** like manager specials. It's a small market with about 200 quid on it. Could put a tenner on someone who's 50s now and he'll shoot up to 5th fav. If Swansea want Wilder he will go. Simple as.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yeah could go either way. I’m just glad we’ve signed a proper centre forward who (hopefully) can hold the ball up and give us a bit of a focal point up top. Paterson is a work horse and puts himself about, but I don’t think he really has presence up top. Just has a bit of a habit of being in the right place every now and again. 

Agree with this. He may not be prolific, but if he can hold it up and get 8-12 goals then I think he could turn out to be a decent signing. We’ve needed a back to the goal striker since Fletcher & Nuhiu left. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I repeat.

Don't read into bookies odds. Especially ******** like manager specials. It's a small market with about 200 quid on it. Could put a tenner on someone who's 50s now and he'll shoot up to 5th fav. If Swansea want Wilder he will go. Simple as.

Ahh but that's not what you said yesterday, you said if Wilder wants it Wilder gets it and Wilder wants it. Now your changing it to if Swansea want him. They want him that much that they are about to pay Mk Dons compo for Russell Martin.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

It's a matter of time before your recruitment team is broken up and poached too. Football is all about money and status. Barnsley is and always will be a stepping stone club. 

As long as they keep moving on, (being “poached”) they’ll have been doing a good job, the worry is they stay here long term, but whilst ever the bloke who brought data analysts into sport is a stake holder in the club, I can’t imagine highly regarded people in this field not wanting to come and work with/for him. Every club is just a steppingstone for players wanting to reach the top, and if you manage to get players that don’t see your club as a steppingstone, you’re probably recruiting the wrong players. 

• Like 4

I've been very impressed by the transfer business that Darren Moore has done so far - most excited about Wing, but also think Hunt, BPH, Adeniran (from little I've seen), Shodipo, etc. are exactly the kind of players we need.

The one player I'm not that keen on us signing is Byers. Some Swansea fans seem to rate him, but it just strikes me as a similar kind of move as to when we signed Jordan Rhodes when we had just signed Winnall on top of having Joao, Hooper, Fletcher, Nuhiu and young Hirst (before both sides ruined him).

With Bannan near to ever-present, Wing as the more attacking option and Luongo/Adeniran competing for the spot alongside Bannan it seems like overkill to sign another player who plays a similar role to Bannan. Particularly one with a patchy injury record. Better to have Dele-Bashiru, Alex Hunt and Waldock as backup. If we have injuries Wing can also drop deeper (with Paterson as the attacking midfielder) or Hutchinson can also play midfield.

Think the squad is nearly taking shape, but if we have space for a couple more then another striker or another winger like Sims seems like a much more strategic signing.

• Like 1

So according to Moore we are after the following positions. Some of them we can put names to as there are

strong links currently. The others I have no idea as Kamberi came out of nowhere.

Centre Back

Left Back

Centre Midfield

Winger

Striker

Cant help but think Moore is keen on Jamie McCart for CB as he was very vocal in his admiration.

Jaden Brown signed out of nowhere so no clue who his LB targets are now.

George Byers seems to be the CM that he’s identified.

Josh Sims and/or Marvin Johnson seem to be the winger option. 

Presently with Kamberi, Paterson and Adedoyin vying for the single striker slot DM wants one more. Could it be a nippy box player or another in the Kamberi mould?

8 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I repeat.

You original said if Wilder wants it Wider gets it now saying if Swansea want Wilder two very different things. 

They want the MK Dons manager and have asked for permission to speak with him. 

• Like 1

if the rumours are looking to be true are squad could be looking very healthy soon 

those slating kamberi I think we should trust in Moore he has put an attacking side together and personally o though we needed a focal big man up top who isn’t just a lump and is semi mobile 

for me kamberi ticks those boxes I’m no doubt this team will create and when it’s settled will be battling out at the right end if the division 

we could have ourself a team to be proud of here front foot attacking football 

page down the sides 

solid at the back 

passing through the middle 

we’ve still got windass to consider too 

plus another striker maybe 

plus another Cb maybe 

think Moore and co have done terrific myself 

personally I think we go into a worst division with a better squad 

8F52BF44-A792-450F-9749-117C3FB4D32D.jpeg.3b06a73c024acb7edb9797be772261c2.jpeg

Bench

wildsmith 

Dunkley

Palmer 
Brown

Adrienin

Byres 

Green

Patterson 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

I've been very impressed by the transfer business that Darren Moore has done so far - most excited about Wing, but also think Hunt, BPH, Adeniran (from little I've seen), Shodipo, etc. are exactly the kind of players we need.

The one player I'm not that keen on us signing is Byers. Some Swansea fans seem to rate him, but it just strikes me as a similar kind of move as to when we signed Jordan Rhodes when we had just signed Winnall on top of having Joao, Hooper, Fletcher, Nuhiu and young Hirst (before both sides ruined him).

With Bannan near to ever-present, Wing as the more attacking option and Luongo/Adeniran competing for the spot alongside Bannan it seems like overkill to sign another player who plays a similar role to Bannan. Particularly one with a patchy injury record. Better to have Dele-Bashiru, Alex Hunt and Waldock as backup. If we have injuries Wing can also drop deeper (with Paterson as the attacking midfielder) or Hutchinson can also play midfield.

Think the squad is nearly taking shape, but if we have space for a couple more then another striker or another winger like Sims seems like a much more strategic signing.

Agree with your comments mate. But….we do need an alternative to Baz. As good as he can be, he can also drop down gears, plus he will be targeted in this division for attention. We need to be able to play, create and win without him. A fully fit Luongo gives us that, we all know he’s a bit soft. Given the weakness of our midfield over recent years, I think someone like Byers would bring a lot to our adaptability.

5 minutes ago, fpowl said:

if the rumours are looking to be true are squad could be looking very healthy soon 

those slating kamberi I think we should trust in Moore he has put an attacking side together and personally o though we needed a focal big man up top who isn’t just a lump and is semi mobile 

for me kamberi ticks those boxes I’m no doubt this team will create and when it’s settled will be battling out at the right end if the division 

page down the sides 

solid at the back 

plus another Cb maybe 

Bench

wildsmith 

Dunkley

Palmer 
Brown

Adrienin

Byres 

Green

Patterson 

Agree tho I feel playing Marvin Johnson at left back is similar to putting Reach there.  Sure they can “do a job” but not their strongest suit.

If we can get the following in then we are looking very strong 

CB (to compete with Hutch on left side)

CM (Byers)

W (Sims)

ST (Young PL striker on loan)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Agree tho I feel playing Marvin Johnson at left back is similar to putting Reach there.  Sure they can “do a job” but not their strongest suit.

If we can get the following in then we are looking very strong 

CB (to compete with Hutch on left side)

CM (Byers)

W (Sims)

ST (Young PL striker on loan)

I was in three minds where to go with that position tbf 

and I agree but judging on how hunt has spoken I think Moore is going to want his full backs to push on as more wing backs which Johnson has played 

could go with brown or Palmer vibe benched them both 

my main point is we have flexibility and depth in this team now where we aren’t looking at being playoff contenders but challenging for automatics and if we gel and get those last few signings right there’s no reason why we can’t 

some people will still have us fighting relegation though 

27 minutes ago, fpowl said:

page down the sides 

solid at the back 

plus another Cb maybe 

Bench

wildsmith 

Dunkley

Palmer 
Brown

Adrienin

Byres 

Green

Patterson 

Like the look of that team, getting relegated this is what I wanted to see , new faces I hope we can just keep assembling it and just add to it next season now