The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

9 hours ago, DlNGLE said:

As long as they keep moving on, (being “poached”) they’ll have been doing a good job, the worry is they stay here long term, but whilst ever the bloke who brought data analysts into sport is a stake holder in the club, I can’t imagine highly regarded people in this field not wanting to come and work with/for him. Every club is just a steppingstone for players wanting to reach the top, and if you manage to get players that don’t see your club as a steppingstone, you’re probably recruiting the wrong players. 

Very good points.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

I thought the same, unless Moore doesn’t see Palmer as left back and just a right back 

I think Palmer will fill left back role quote a few times this year 

I actually think he plays it really well and can’t call if he’s better on left or right 

put it this way he’s never disappointed me at left back and I’d be more than happy if he was our main left back this year 

I think some fans are just over critical 

I know it was against port vale but we’re pitching against this kind of quality this year 

he got forward we’ll and supported the attack and got on end of a couple of chances 

he’ll be a good league one left back 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Connor Ogilvie would be my shout for left back..........................and still available on a free.

Absolutely.

Equally good going forward and when defending and possibly best left back in League One last season.

9 hours ago, s29wfc said:

Ahh but that's not what you said yesterday, you said if Wilder wants it Wilder gets it and Wilder wants it. Now your changing it to if Swansea want him. They want him that much that they are about to pay Mk Dons compo for Russell Martin.

What? Wilder wants the job. That is a given. It's exactly what I said yesterday. Swansea will give him the job soon enough.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, malek said:

Absolutely.

Equally good going forward and when defending and possibly best left back in League One last season.

wonder why he hasn’t got a new club yet? 
I can see someone like Sunderland or Ipswich getting him but would be perfect for us and free too

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I think Palmer will fill left back role quote a few times this year 

I actually think he plays it really well and can’t call if he’s better on left or right 

put it this way he’s never disappointed me at left back and I’d be more than happy if he was our main left back this year 

I think some fans are just over critical 

I know it was against port vale but we’re pitching against this kind of quality this year 

he got forward we’ll and supported the attack and got on end of a couple of chances 

he’ll be a good league one left back 

I’m not anti Palmer, by any stretch. But I also associate our mental weaknesses with him. He has got used to losing and IMO, he doesn’t fight enough for a result. 

We and he need a new start. I think it can be recovered, but I would like to see him start on the bench and build back his hunger, desire and confidence on the training field. 

• Like 5

Apparently Jerome Opoku from Fulham has gone to a Danish club on loan.

Thought he might’ve been a good fit for us, left footed centre half who can play left back as well - two positions where we could use an extra player, but we don’t necessarily need another centre half and another left back, would be handy to sign someone who can do both

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DlNGLE said:

We’re making poor investments all the time, but at the same we’ve got 5or6 sort after players that are well worth a few quid,  we’re getting the best out of a very low budget, due to having a very good recruitment policy/strategy coupled with a brilliant data driven recruitment team. Who are finding young undervalued players with plenty of room for improvement all the time,  and we’re employing good coaches with proven ability to play the style of football we’ve recruited for, as well as a record of developing players.  whilst the players will inevitably be sold at some point if the do indeed realise their undoubted potential, as long as we reap the rewards on the pitch before they are sold we’ll be fine and continue to move forward as a club, because the people behind their recruitment in the first place, will continue to keep recruiting in the same manor. 

You've done very well with your recruitment. I don't know anything about your coaches so I can't comment.

Good luck for the season ahead. I don't see you as rivals to us despite you being 'local'. Our rivalry is the other side of the city not the small  towns in the area.

Edited by prowl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

What? Wilder wants the job. That is a given. It's exactly what I said yesterday. Swansea will give him the job soon enough.

I’ll be very surprised if Wilder takes the Swansea job, they are a busted flush pal. Rodin and James money over £30m from last season swallowed up by debts and American owners, Cooper walked cos he was told he has to sell Grimes to cover operating losses for this year and parachute payments have stopped. 

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I don't doubt Wilder wants the job. Fact of the matter is Wilder would have it by now if Swansea wanted him,No compo to pay should have been plain sailing. Odds do matter, Russell Martin is 1/16 on this morning for a reason.

• Like 1

I like what we've done this window after a slow start and the restrictions we are in. We've kept enough with experience to help the new signings who in turn offer athleticism and a want to prove and progress. 

I'd like to see a squad that cna cope with injuries and suspensions without being cut to the bare bones. I completely agree in wanting to get some of our existing youngsters our on loan. We've been guilty of not helping them develop in that manner of late, so if we do I'd imagine we could still look for 4/5 signings to make us complete. 

For me I'd want cover at CB (but maybe go back for someone like Bola who would be able to accept that role), LB as I think Palmer could be asked to cover all across the back line, so could do with another fullback to help with that. With this in mind and having a squad to cope, I'd want Johnson as he can cover/play on wing too, or be a very attacking fullback where we need in games. I get call for ogilive and that'd be totally fine. 

Further up another CM would be good if we sees outgoing loans. We need to learn to play without bannan, as teams will gang up on him and that was our downfall in many games last year. Everything had to go through bannan, so having additional options is a must especially if playing with a 3 and luongo having previous injury concerns. Whether that is Byers will leave that to DM. 

A winger would be good too, so signing Sims would be good business. Though if ogilive is the LB option for me it would be Sims or Johnson. 

I do think up top we need 1 more body. As really we only have the new guy and Paterson, with windass being injured. I can see Green & the Everton lad up there if no other signing, but if budget can stretch I would try for one. I'd like Ellis Simms or would try for Hudlin from Solihull. 

That is a big ask and don't expect all that, but if those positions are covered in some form then I think we can all be more positive about the direction we are aiming for. 

If it's a concern about cash, then if bannan were to go, it could very well pay for 3 of them too. 

All if buts and maybes of course, but I'm more positive in DMs signings than last few windows. There is a direction, a plan, a balance. Its been a long time since we've seen that! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shetland Owl said:

seems strange to me that we need another LB with Brown and Palmer

Palmer isn't really a LB. He did really well when he played there but it's not his natural position. I'd prefer a left footed player.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, prowl said:

You've done very well with your recruitment. I don't know anything about your coaches so I can't comment.

Good luck for the season ahead. I don't see you as rivals to us despite you being 'local'. Our rivalry is the other side of the city not the small  towns in the area.

We see yourselves as rivals same as Leeds due to the amount of you in our tarn. But I’m still gutted for you being run into the ground by a cünt. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, prowl said:

No matter how much ground work you do or how many scouting hours you put in there are so many variables when signing players that in best case scenario you are making educated guess. When you are looking to sign young player with little or no first team experience it gets even harder. For me it looks like you are doing good job, long may it continue.

Despite our rivalry I like to see you do well as you are doing smart job on terms you can afford, and in today's football when even Championship clubs are throwing around crazy money it must be appreciated.

Btw. I believe that Burnley brought in on free superior player before they decided to sell you Benson. But it is perk of been Premier League club and nothing to do about it.