Sam Ellis joins Owls backroom staff.....

Very smart of the club this should be able to travel to watch players with his concession pass, when he goes to games will get in for an OAP ticket, I think we might be cost cutting in the wrong department though.  lol

Getting rid of Westwood and Rhodes would save us £3m a season just in wages.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owl84 said:

Can't have been bad making your debut in a FA Cup Final 

At least he will be able to understand what goes through their tiny minds after chucking away a 2-0 lead...

**beat me to it SofB2

Edited by Flat Owl
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Makes no difference how old you are if you are scouting.  

Depends on the physical fitness eyesight, memory, such things have a tendency to deteriorate with age.

A persons opinion and perspective on the attributes of players might differ based on whether their views of the sport are somewhat outdated as well. Especially when that person has a history of working with Pulis and Blackwell, not what you would describe as forward thinkers. 

Not saying any of the above will be the case with this guy but generally there are probably less 70+ year olds employed as scouts than those under retirement age at top clubs. 

The club my lad plays for is coached by 3 blokes and the eldest one, 60+, is easily the most active and involved, I sincerely hope Me Ellis finds us some gems. 

2 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Blummin he’ll, they get older.......

Tony Pulis has confirmed that Sam Ellis, who played for Wednesday for eight years and earned three England youth caps along the way, is “working for us and doing some scouting.”

Ellis is a long-time friend of Pulis’ and last worked with the Welshman at Middlesbrough, where he acted as assistant manager following the departure of David Kemp in the summer of 2018.

The uncompromising centre-half, now 74, made his debut in the 1966 FA Cup final and played 155 times in the league for the Owls before moving on to play for Mansfield, Lincoln and Watford, making over 500 career appearances along the way.

Is he fit for Saturday? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, owl84 said:

Can't have been bad making your debut in a FA Cup Final 

It was, poor lad was thrown in at the deep end and sank. Not his fault at all but he wasn't up to it. My dad knew him quite well.

He went on to be a decent player which is a surprise because the experience of the final could have ruined him. Nice bloke apparently.