Sam Ellis joins Owls backroom staff.....

Just now, prowl said:

It was, poor lad was thrown in at the deep end and sank. Not his fault at all but he wasn't up to it. My dad knew him quite well.

He went on to be a decent player which is a surprise because the experience of the final could have ruined him. Nice bloke apparently.

he played ok and ive never seen any  blame  he can be attached too for us losing .......how did he sink ?

3 hours ago, keefdave said:

I wonder if he could still hit the Cantilever clock.

😄 Ha, I was there, think it might have been a League Cup game v Bournemouth. I didn't think Sam was very good as a player but he's been in the game a long time, must have learnt something mustn't he??

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he played ok and ive never seen any  blame  he can be attached too for us losing .......how did he sink ?

It's a long time ago. I was 11 at the time but I can remember he came in for a lot of stick after we lost. If you are older maybe you can remember the game.

My dad knew him and always said it was unfair that he got the stick , his point was he was inexperienced rather than that he had a good game..

41 minutes ago, prowl said:

It's a long time ago. I was 11 at the time but I can remember he came in for a lot of stick after we lost. If you are older maybe you can remember the game.

My dad knew him and always said it was unfair that he got the stick , his point was he was inexperienced rather than that he had a good game..

Sam  Ellis only played in the F.A.Cup Final because Vic Mobley got injured in the semi final against Chelsea at Villa Park. In those days there was no subs., so Vic played the full 90 mins. with this injury, knowing that it would rule him out of a potential final spot. In the final Sam was not the reason for our defeat, a certain Gerry Young was the culprit when he allowed the ball to go under his foot so that  a certain Dereck Templeton raced through to score the winning goal. ( after we were winning 2-0 ) The only victory we had that day was that we were the first losing team to do a lap of honour in front of their fans after losing the final !! Even though we lost on the day, the homecoming reception for the team was outstanding, something our present day supporters could learn from !!! What do you think ??

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Billque said:

Please explain what age has to do with the ability of finding future talent for our club !!

Like I said, I hope this bloke unearths some gems for us.

I might be wrong but I think the vast majority of club around our level tend to employ scouts younger than 74 and if this bloke was so sought after we wouldn't have been dragging him out of his rocking chair! 

lol

6 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

The club have released a photo of the new coaching team.

Last-of-the-Summer-Wine-965985.jpg

I'd be tempted to give the tall lad a run out up front! 

39 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

Scouting is one area where experience is golden. The manager tells you what kind of players he needs, the scout provides a shortlist based on his work. The experienced people have seen so many players come and go that they can see potential etc. if it is there.

Sometimes that wealth of knowledge is not relevant to what’s needed today though My conversations with older dudes, even ones who were involved in football, suggest most are out of touch with the modern game. Can remember talking with the late Jim Smith, and being shocked about how little he knew about modern football. Listening to the older pundits on the box, like Souness for instance, it’s almost embarrassing, some of the stuff he comes out with. It’s like he’s mired in the past. I guess part of it is a nostalgia, and a believing that things were better in the old days. Whether they were, or they weren’t, things are certainly different nowadays. There will be exceptions of course, but given Pulis’s take on how football should be played, I don’t see it being an inspired appointment