3 groups of people

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

People who think Monk was the problem and to blame for everything should maybe explain

the results of the last three games

the lack of shots on target

lack of goals

lack of points

zero wins

playing players out of position

bizarre substitutions

saying players shouldn’t be on the pitch as they’re injured then putting them in the starting lineup repeatedly,

recalling ‘westy’ after her hadn’t played since canned a year ago, only for it to blow up in our faces spectacularly

Spending a week saying Paterson wasn’t a striker but a midfielder then playing him up front 

etc etc etc 

Monk was a defensive manager whose approach is not to lose. Pulis is a defensive manager whose approach is not to lose. That explains the similarities. 

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Checking social media I see 3 groups of people. 

- People who still defend Monk 

- People backing Pulis to succeed

- People who never wanted Pulis 

He’s here now. Should we all give the guy our support ?  Maybe judge him in 3 months, instead of 3 games. 

I think I’ve supported (or at least ‘bought into’ supporting all managers - despite some reservations (that they probably will fail) until it  became apparent they were doing terribly. 

We’ve been through some tough times as a fan base, and are up against it yet again - so can we maybe see how it goes with Pulis ?

I can only think of three managers who could keep us up: Colin, Pulis and Six Fingers.

Pulis was the only one available.

All play crap football, but that's part and parcel of keeping a crap team up.

Along with time-wasting, grim defending and spoiling tactics.

Ye Gods, we've had it done to us often enough.

5 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

He’s here now. Should we all give the guy our support ?  Maybe judge him in 3 months, instead of 3 games. 

I think I’ve supported (or at least ‘bought into’ supporting all managers - despite some reservations (that they probably will fail) until it  became apparent they were doing terribly. 

We’ve been through some tough times as a fan base, and are up against it yet again - so can we maybe see how it goes with Pulis ?

Pulis is a backwards step and we'll be relegated this season.

• Like 1

Wasn’t my choice.

I wanted Monk out but wasn’t keen on Pulis either.

Backing him though.

Hoping his brand of football can be exciting to watch, but he’ll need his own players in first, so we’ll just be in transition mode until then, which means it could all be a bit unpredictable n the interim.

Tony Pulis’s Army’s Barmy

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

My issue isn’t with Pulis, it’s with the players.

Theyre not good enough to even play the shithouse game 

That’s why I’m worried 

I agree with this to an extent, although you can’t blame the players for ability.

In the summer we lost a number of players who had been part of the team that had been competitive in this league, but who by and large had gone stale as a squad. It was time to move on for most of them. Unfortunately, we were signing players , with a 12 points deficit hanging over us. We now have a squad that contains a number of players of the standard who were willing to join a club in that position. 

All we can do now is try to pick up as many points as possible between now and the start of the window and hope that we are in a good enough position to pick up a better standard of player then. Clearly getting a couple of players capable of scoring is going to be key.

As TP said it’s a tough gig - let’s hope we can do it.

5 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Im all for backing Pulis, but i cant back a manager that doesnt field a centre forward in a starting 11!

Surely all Wednesday fans are in Group 2.  Why would you not want Pulis to succeed ?  If he succeeds, Wednesday succeed. Is there really any Wednesdayite who WANTS him to fail, get us relegated just so they can say I told you so ?

I hope he wins manager of the year for keeping us up, then again next season for winning promotion.

• Like 1

Why’s everything so divisive these days?

Remainer or Brexiteer

Left wing or Right wing

Pro-Lockdown or Anti-Lockdown

For Pulis or Against Pulis

A lot of the time people with these polar opposite opinions all share the same personal and societal ambitions anyway. We all want the same thing but we differ on how to get there. 

We’re not 3 groups, we’re one group of people who share overlapping opinions on a subject we’re all passionate about.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

People who think Monk was the problem and to blame for everything should maybe explain

the results of the last three games

the lack of shots on target

lack of goals

lack of points

zero wins

playing players out of position

bizarre substitutions

saying players shouldn’t be on the pitch as they’re injured then putting them in the starting lineup repeatedly,

recalling ‘westy’ after her hadn’t played since canned a year ago, only for it to blow up in our faces spectacularly

Spending a week saying Paterson wasn’t a striker but a midfielder then playing him up front 

etc etc etc 

I like Pulis and think we will be totally fine at the end of the season and still in the Championship but it doesn’t mean we can’t look at (and challenge) some of his decisions so far 

Monk lover 

6 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I posted elsewhere that he would need until a fair way into next season to see if he is judged. 3 months is nothing like long enough.

He's only going to be able to tinker with the squad in the new year window, maybe 3 incoming loans at the very most, probably less. In the summer he can maybe bring in more players subject to availability of funds. Give those players a few games to settle and see how we are doing. Even then I don't expect wonders. We've been getting worse for 20 or more years, it's going to be a big job to stop the rot.

Survival this season is success, midtable the year after is progress, then a challenge for promotion.

I agree there does need to be balance and we need to stop these extreme views either way.

Having said that , I can guarantee Tony Pulis is the footballing equivalent of Thor, a man who has come to our club with a massive hammer and 12 massive nails which he will smash into our coffin and finally send our rotting corpse into the underworld.  Like every other club, he will pack us full of hoofing lumps, and poison their brains against any form of joy or creativity on the pitch. Like every other club he has managed, we will be screaming for the sweet relief of relegation before long, and have to totally rebuild the club as our next manager turns up and sees 25 broken, lumpen drones who have long since forgotten who or what they are.

1 hour ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

I agree with this to an extent, although you can’t blame the players for ability.

In the summer we lost a number of players who had been part of the team that had been competitive in this league, but who by and large had gone stale as a squad. It was time to move on for most of them. Unfortunately, we were signing players , with a 12 points deficit hanging over us. We now have a squad that contains a number of players of the standard who were willing to join a club in that position. 

All we can do now is try to pick up as many points as possible between now and the start of the window and hope that we are in a good enough position to pick up a better standard of player then. Clearly getting a couple of players capable of scoring is going to be key.

As TP said it’s a tough gig - let’s hope we can do it.

It’s looking like the Italian Job.

I honestly don’t think any manager could save us this year 

I’ve said before I’d be shocked if we even reach 20-25 goals, it really is that bad.

The best chance we’ve got of winning a game is sticking 11 behind the ball and nicking a 1-0

Problem is we’re actually barely capable of scoring even 1 

• Like 1