3 groups of people

Checking social media I see 3 groups of people. 

- People who still defend Monk 

- People backing Pulis to succeed

- People who never wanted Pulis 

He’s here now. Should we all give the guy our support ?  Maybe judge him in 3 months, instead of 3 games. 

I think I’ve supported (or at least ‘bought into’ supporting all managers - despite some reservations (that they probably will fail) until it  became apparent they were doing terribly. 

We’ve been through some tough times as a fan base, and are up against it yet again - so can we maybe see how it goes with Pulis ?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

He’s here now. Should we all give the guy our support ?  Maybe judge him in 3 months, instead of 3 games. 

I think I’ve supported (or at least ‘bought into’ supporting all managers - despite some reservations (that they probably will fail) until it  became apparent they were doing terribly. 

We’ve been through some tough times as a fan base, and are up against it yet again - so can we maybe see how it goes with Pulis ?

I am actually not in any of those groups. Pulis isn't the manager I wanted, but also know he will do whats needed. I don't count staying up as succeeding. I gave monk a second chance this season, but definitely thought it was the right time to go. Pulis for now has my full support, I want him to succeed. But don't think he can do much more than he is now, with out a couple of signings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think I fall into 4th group and think Wednesday's problems go deeper then who is manager.

Mods - rename this thread The Spanish Inquisition.

7 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

They’re called brigades, please use the correct terminology 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

(We know the Chairman is mostly to blame... more people know that now than before)

but re: the manager, seeing ‘PULIS OUT’ and other such stuff before the guy even gets the keys to his flat is just sad, a bit distasteful and overall just puts out a negative vibe before we’ve even started trying to move on. 

We just don’t want to be that sort of fan base do we ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

What about people who think the Manager is largely irrelevant at the minute and the issue is DC ? 

This.

I suppose I fit into all three categories in some way...

- I defend Monk against those who pin too much of our current plight on him, yes.

- I'm certainly backing Pulis to succeed in so much as I really, really bloody hope he does. Whether or not he will remains to be seen, of course.

- I can't say Pulis was my first thought of who I wanted as our manager, but he's here and he certainly brings a wealth of experience and know-how with him. He might turn out to be just what we need.

But to return to the post to which I'm replying, no manager is set up for success at Wednesday, are they? The chairman has run the club up a blind alley with no idea how to get us back on track. We're just flailing around in the dark.

If Pulis - or any other manager for that matter - succeeds here, it will be in spite of the structures above him rather than because of them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, No Uniform said:

I am actually not in any of those groups. Pulis isn't the manager I wanted, but also know he will do whats needed. I don't count staying up as succeeding. I gave monk a second chance this season, but definitely thought it was the right time to go. Pulis for now has my full support, I want him to succeed. But don't think he can do much more than he is now, with out a couple of signings.

Nail on the head. 

29 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I fall into all 3 groups.

And I agree. He's here now. Whatever reservations I have about his style of football he's hugely experienced. And given time he might just be the right man to steady the boat.

• Like 1

People who think Monk was the problem and to blame for everything should maybe explain

the results of the last three games

the lack of shots on target

lack of goals

lack of points

zero wins

playing players out of position

bizarre substitutions

saying players shouldn’t be on the pitch as they’re injured then putting them in the starting lineup repeatedly,

recalling ‘westy’ after her hadn’t played since canned a year ago, only for it to blow up in our faces spectacularly

Spending a week saying Paterson wasn’t a striker but a midfielder then playing him up front 

etc etc etc 

I like Pulis and think we will be totally fine at the end of the season and still in the Championship but it doesn’t mean we can’t look at (and challenge) some of his decisions so far 

Owlstalk Shop

I think to form a judgment on pulis in three months would be incredibly difficult 

personally I think he’s done extremely well to get two points

i honestly think he’s been given an impossible task January will be his get out of jail card but realistically how much can he do and what level of backing will he have 

how far off pace will we be? Will we have significantly climbed the league 

we must have a current available squad where our league position says we are so it keep picking up points is a little miracle he’s working 

to judge him after 3 months would put him mid February 2 weeks after the transfer window shut is a little harsh 

he’s got 3 targets for me 

keep us competitive and In reach of 21st before January ( or out of bottom three better )

assemble effective offensive play to climb the table from January 

then he’s a full preseason and transfer window to see what he can put together 

Any manager should be given at least 4 transfer windows 

• Like 1

Monk has to be culpable, while not being totally responsible. We were well placed this time last year, while he was still taking stock. Sitting third at Christmas, all it needed was 2 or 3 strategic signings, and to leave things as they were. Sadly, he never managed to do that. This season’s rebuild was a disaster, which has left the squad unbalanced and completely lacking in attacking areas. 
Pulis, it’s too early to tell yet, but it has the potential to be a Rhodes style managerial appointment, ie something that maybe would have been OK five years ago. Football has changed a lot in those five years and we’ve yet to see whether he can adopt a more enlightened approach. I suspect he won’t be able to, but the way he had us playing at Swansea, gives me a little bit of hope. 
Ultimately, it seems to me that, whoever is advising DC, is out of step with the direction football is traveling in. There lies the biggest problem

42 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I'm in a group that wanted shut of Monk, and didn't want dinasaur Pulis either 

• Like 2