Man of the match - Stoke (H)

Borner and Lees were solid. 

Harris has made me head a shed. Coz he didn't do nowt good.But at least he did sumat. It's a contradiction. 

I almost want to vote for him coz him getting the ball was the only time I thought sumat would happen. ..even thouh I knew it wouldn't. 

I think he's given me a mental breakdown. 

Anyroad.

Well done to the lads for the clean sheet.

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

1 minute ago, Errol Flashman said:

Borner and Lees were solid. 

Harris has made me head a shed. Coz he didn't do nowt good.But at least he did sumat. It's a contradiction. 

I almost want to vote for him coz him getting the ball was the only time I thought sumat would happen. ..even thouh I knew it wouldn't. 

I think he's given me a mental breakdown. 

Anyroad.

Well done to the lads for the clean sheet.

Ha ha Brilliant

I slagged off Harris last week for his lack of end product but in the first half his 2 shots and 2 crosses were the best things we managed. Despite reverting to type in the second half he gets my MOM vote.

Paterson played well

Borner and Lees gave away too many daft free kicks to get my vote. 

I’m going to go for Borner. His defending was its usual solid self. However, I am giving it to him for his composure on the ball. He is our best defender on the ball by a mile. Lees has returned to hot potato land over the last two games. Borner can get the ball under control and has composure to wait that extra second for the spare man to become available.

31 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Yay! We didn’t lose and we didn’t concede!

Beyond that nothing much happened. 
Glad Fletcher wasn’t playing as he might have tipped it for Stoke?

Anyway, how do you pick a MoM from that type of game?

Widsmith did actually make a save so may as well give it to him. I know he follows my posts so will take a nice confidence boost from it!

Good luck on Wednesday Joe!

Like the other keepers who play, he could do with a dominating cb in front of him as Iorfa, despite his occasional mistakes,  and Flint are good in the air. 

18 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Ha ha Brilliant

I slagged off Harris last week for his lack of end product but in the first half his 2 shots and 2 crosses were the best things we managed. Despite reverting to type in the second half he gets my MOM vote.

Paterson played well

Borner and Lees gave away too many daft free kicks to get my vote. 

Lees gave away a bad dangerous one at Swansea too.

Wildsmith - 8 - Clean sheet. Very adept performance, and made a crucial, point-saving save in stoppage time.

Palmer - 7 - Defended well, but too many aimless hoofs upfield...again.

Lees - 8 - Man of the Match - Strong, and remain untroubled. Great header to prevent Vokes from a potential goal-winning chance. He can have the MotM because it's his birthday.

Borner - 8 - Continues his fine form. He's much more comfortable in a two.

Van Aken - 7 - Did OK, despite playing out of position. He's not going to get forward, but stuck to his task well enough. Worrying lack of pace in certain situations however.

Luongo - 7 - He's a warrior, and protects as well as anybody we've had for years. But felt he was sub-standard when in possession today...too many rushed passed, too many times he failed to slow the game down and build. Stark contrast to Obi-Mikel, who by the way, was fantastic in Stoke's midfield.

Shaw - 6 - Stuck at it, but poor touches too often lead to turnovers in possession. 

Bannan - 6 - Pulis wants him to play further forward, and I could see the reasoning behind that. But, without an element of control or quality behind him, he's going to be feeding off scraps. Felt we didn't get the best out of him today by playing him more advanced. Lack of quality/control behind him, and lack of runners/pace in front of him were reasons for that.

Harris - 7 - Probably our most dangerous player...but that says more about us as an attacking unit, then it does Harris. He was unfortunate not to score with one of his two efforts in the 1st half...but he's been here 18 months now, and hasn't improved. Lack of end product is becoming a serious issue. He infuriates at times.

Reach - 6 - Worked his nuts off, but lacked quality and purpose in dangerous areas. But like others, is been suffocated by lack of runners and options.

Paterson - 6 - Thought he was very average in the 1st half, and failed to make an impact on the game. Saw more of the ball in the 2nd half, but it doesn't come with any quality or threat.

Rhodes - 6 - That substitution was harsh. Yes...he was anonymous in the 2nd half, but he didn't deserve dragging. 

Overall...

Pfft...it wasn't pretty. But Pulis is finding out the same old problems we've had with this squad for seasons now. When we get bodies behind the ball, and stay organised, we'll do a very good job at suppressing teams...but that comes at the expense of attacking efficiency. The minute we look to commit bodies forward, we lose that formidbility.

Pulis has to find that balance, and although it's tough to watch, I fully concur with his strategy at the minute. Given our lack of attacking options, by committing bodies forward, we're probably more likely to start conceding chances than we are to create them. Until January, it's going to be a case of keeping games tight, perhaps playing for set pieces, and hope for a bit of luck or quality from a Bannan or Reach. 

The games against Reading and Norwich, although tough on paper, could suit us right now. We'll happily sit in, and look to counter on them, which gives us our best chance to utilise our resources at the minute. 

Getting Windass and Iorfa back will be key to us starting to pick some points up between now and January.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Tough to choose.

Good - Bannan, Lees, Borner, Harris, Palmer

OK - Luongo, Wildsmith, Reach

Poor - Paterson, Van Aken

Who was MoM? Bannan probably from Harris.

WHY DID PULIS SWAP HARRIS TO THE LEFT? Kept beating his man, but as we all know, he has zero end product from the left. Bizarre decision.