Man of the match - Stoke (H)

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, torryowl said:

deary me ........what on earth was wrong with his organizing ?.......

Nothing at all. I could have sworn we kept a clean sheet. Certainly a lot more of a calming influence than sponge Bob flannel hands Westwood. 

2 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Dire game that we edged. 

Wildsmith 6.5 one excellent save but he made a mess of the other and was awful on crosses and organizing 

Palmer 6 steady 

Lees 5 battled but he gave away ridiculous fouls for pushing in both boxes . Peed me off massively

Borner 8 super again

Van Aken 6 he tries, he’s not good enough 

Harris 7 everything right except his crossing. 2 excellent shots

Bannan 7 so important 

Luongo 7 as above

Shaw 4 a rabbit in headlights 

Reach 5 did nothing 

Paterson 5 I don’t think he’s good enough 

Rhodes 6 I really felt for him

Odubajo 5

Brown 5

Shaw was excellent. He’d been asked to man mark Clucas and sort from the late slip was exceptional. Understand why he was taken off but he was perfectly fineS ridiculous post. You’re also talking poo about Wildsmith. Perfectly good game from him today. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Borner, Van Aken, Luongo and Shaw all did well for me. 

shaw did a really good job, shame he got booked. 

Pulis dropped a ball subbing Rhodes. Didn’t like that at all

Spot on,thats only gunna shake his confidence and wont do him any favours,thats poor from TP

• Like 1

Thought Borner reverted to type and was sloppy and had a poor game,he made too many gaffes,luckily,he had help at hand to cover his many mistakes,cant fault his application,certainly tries,alas hed struggle to get in the starting 11 at a majority of the other champonships clubs.

Reach and Palmer had decent games,alas Reach failed to pick Palmer out NUMEROUS times when he made himself available,and instead went infield.

Harris put in the effort,but when it comes to the end product,he hasnt got it,which is why he was released,hes pace to burn,but zero ability.

Bannan and Luongo worked hard,I dont see why Bannan further forward is such a great idea,he shoots like hes kicking a baloon,once per season he hits one right,Luongo has a football brain and tenacity,a poor mans Kieran Lee, he lacks the anticipation and awareness to pose a real threat in the area.

Pattersons about as poor a substitute for Nuihu as you could possibly get ,playing him upfront is almost a complete waste of time,hes got a long throw and thats about it,cant hold the ball up,doesnt have any ball skills,theres no way he could skip past 5 Preston defenders and stick one in the top corner,even if PNE put out there youth team

• Haha 1

Harris, his shot was well blocked. Our best outlet today. 

Luongo in with a mention if not just for the professional foul recovering after Brown forgot how to play football. 

I thought Rhodes should have got on the end of the one good ball played to him, he just let it bounce. 

8 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Thought Borner reverted to type and was sloppy and had a poor game,he made too many gaffes,luckily,he had help at hand to cover his many mistakes,cant fault his application,certainly tries,alas hed struggle to get in the starting 11 at a majority of the other champonships clubs.

Reach and Palmer had decent games,alas Reach failed to pick Palmer out NUMEROUS times when he made himself available,and instead went infield.

Harris put in the effort,but when it comes to the end product,he hasnt got it,which is why he was released,hes pace to burn,but zero ability.

Bannan and Luongo worked hard,I dont see why Bannan further forward is such a great idea,he shoots like hes kicking a baloon,once per season he hits one right,Luongo has a football brain and tenacity,a poor mans Kieran Lee, he lacks the anticipation and awareness to pose a real threat in the area.

Pattersons about as poor a substitute for Nuihu as you could possibly get ,playing him upfront is almost a complete waste of time,hes got a long throw and thats about it,cant hold the ball up,doesnt have any ball skills,theres no way he could skip past 5 Preston defenders and stick one in the top corner,even if PNE put out there youth team

Just re-reading it a few times to see if I missed something you got right...can't find anything yet

12 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Dire game that we edged. 

Wildsmith 6.5 one excellent save but he made a mess of the other and was awful on crosses and organizing 

Palmer 6 steady 

Lees 5 battled but he gave away ridiculous fouls for pushing in both boxes . Peed me off massively

Borner 8 super again

Van Aken 6 he tries, he’s not good enough 

Harris 7 everything right except his crossing. 2 excellent shots

Bannan 7 so important 

Luongo 7 as above

Shaw 4 a rabbit in headlights 

Reach 5 did nothing 

Paterson 5 I don’t think he’s good enough 

Rhodes 6 I really felt for him

Odubajo 5

Brown 5

Wildsmith...only had one shot to save. Extremely difficult shot to save and saved it really well...didn't drop anything, distribution was good to say Stoke prevented anything but a long kick. Read the game well and came out when needed...defence restricted Stoke to one shot...what organising (no z) did he get wrong and which cross did he drop?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
12 hours ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Shaw was excellent. He’d been asked to man mark Clucas and sort from the late slip was exceptional. Understand why he was taken off but he was perfectly fineS ridiculous post. You’re also talking poo about Wildsmith. Perfectly good game from him today. 

Beaten by Vokes. Would have been embarrassing if it had been an inch lower. Positioning on free kicks pathetic too. 

Wildsmith - 6 - had nothing to do other but credit to the lad made a big save on the only occasion he was required. Kicking okay.

Palmer - 6 - worked hard and defended Well, offered nothing going forward and was caught out a couple of times. Huff and puffed but no quality.

Borner 7- defended Well and worked hard. Need more from set pieces though also another chance where he should have hit the target at least but spooned it out (we got a corner but it was going well well wide) probably my MOM in a poor game

Lees - 7- defended Well and solid as per borner. Decent partnership. Offers nothing from set peices though.

Van aken - 5 - maybe harsh as he isnt a LB but he is slow leggy and got turned inside out a couple of times. Surely we must have better options available.

Harris - 6 - worked hard but poor on the ball, crossing is very poor and he is quite predictable. Our only player with any pace and he isnt even really that quick.
Couple of nice inter changes but his end result continues to frustrate.

Bannan - 4- a man bang out of form. Poor on the ball and didn't look happy watching the ball sail over his head for paterson not to win the header. Set peices were better than in recent weeks but again most of the ball went through him and he was bossed by obi Mikel. Realised he had a poor game and tried to make up for it by wasting energy with zoomy runs at the end

Luongo- 5 - does what he does. Plays very deep but is a decent passer of the ball. Needs to get further up the field. The midfield is failing this team. Real lack of ideas. There is also a reluctance to do the work and get into the box. We need a box to box midfielder in this side.

Shaw - 4 - thought he looked alright when he came on in last game but looked lost in this one. 3 defensive midfielders and 1 up top is the problem with this team. Did okay but very defensive which meant him bazza and luongo all spent most of the game in our half.

Reach- 4 - another poor performance for me. Slow leggy and another completely out of ideas. Bottled a few challenges as per. Drifted along. Passenger for the main part.

Paterson- 2 - completely ineffective. Doesnt win anything, doesn't offer anything. Runs around abit but isn't a striker. His goal to game ratio is horrendous. His shot at goal to game ratio is even worse. He must be the worst striker in the league. He doesn't hold it up. Doesnt win headers. Can't pass. Im just not sure what he does. Another very poor display.

Rhodes 1- i can see why pulis dragged him off. He is spent. When he comes on it is like he has literally never played football before. Did he even touch the ball? The chance over the top summed it up. The defence were caught out but he totally misread the ball and it came to nothing. He just needs releasing and putting down as the worst signing in the history of football.

Brown - 1 - unfit, lazy and full of his own self importantance. This guy genuinely thinks he is big time when in reality he will be released in the summer with most clubs reluctant to take a punt on him. Did nothing when he came on. Wasn't Interested in getting involved in the game and has been another expensive flop for us. But looking at his previous playing time was always gonna be the case.

Tony Pulis - 3 - very poor game yet again. We never ever looked like scoring. The formation doesn't work and leaves paterson exposed.
Its a very solid formation that teams find hard to break down. Playing like this is okay if you have a fletcher, Martin, Smith jutkiewiz type figure to ping the ball to to. We don't.
He needed to find a way to get the team playing and thus far he hasnt. I genuinely don't think we can wait until the transfer window as there is still 8 games before that. We could be done by then. We need to bring a striker in now. This week.
I've been unimpressed with pulis so far. The football is as bad if not worse than monk. His appointment hasn't lifted the players at all.
We are more solid yes but points at home will not secure us safety. We have to win games.

I was genuinely embarrassed to see us time wasting to try and secure a draw at home against a team that hadn't played well.
People lording the Swansea result. Again Swansea didn't play well. I genuinely believe our awful style drags teams down to our level and they find it really hard to play football meaning awful awful games.
As I say the above style is okay if yoh have the players to nick a goal from a corner but we don't. We had 1 corner and zero successful crosses.
It was a very very poor performance.
2 shots on target In last 3 games.
1 goal In the last 4 games.
Our top goal scorer is Barry bannan with 2 penalties.

The new manager needed to be a breath of fresh air. Reinvigorating the team. Instead its just another off the merry go round and its the same old stuff.
I genuinely cannot see a way out of this as I believe January will come too late.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
10 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

Wildsmith...only had one shot to save. Extremely difficult shot to save and saved it really well...didn't drop anything, distribution was good to say Stoke prevented anything but a long kick. Read the game well and came out when needed...defence restricted Stoke to one shot...what organising (no z) did he get wrong and which cross did he drop?

Read my above post. His positioning is poor. However I’ve been impressed with him overall this season. He’s definitely improving. His shot stopping is pretty good. Really has to improve the other parts of his game to be a Championship keeper.

30 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Read my above post. His positioning is poor. However I’ve been impressed with him overall this season. He’s definitely improving. His shot stopping is pretty good. Really has to improve the other parts of his game to be a Championship keeper.

He’s a championship keeper already and does very well in a very poor team

• Like 1