YOU GET PIGEONHOLED

21 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

Well you tend to get pigeonholed when you've done the same thing a few times don't you?

That said, I've got no problem if we're playing high tempo stuff and getting the ball slung in their box..

I know one thing I prefer seeing the ball in their box more than seeing it near ours.  

Then again when I first started going Howard were manager and I found it right exciting. Whenever I saw a ball being driven towards Chapmans head in were out me seat. 

Exactly. Wilko also played with wingers and attacking fullbacks, bombing on. Yet, he was the architect of 'long ball'....Like you, I loved the high intensity, aggressive stuff. I also liked winning games and being feared by everyone.

Even if you look at Big Ron's style of football, he advocated getting it forward early. Sheridan would always receive the ball from the centre halves and find palmer, hirst, carr, irish, atkinson - whoever the runners were, with an inch perfect 60/70 yard pass. That side transitioned from defence to attack, better than any Wednesday team I have seen - and it was all about off the ball movement, knowing full well Sheri would find the open man. Monks style of play was too static. How many times was the player with the ball stood facing at least three of four stationary options? 

Long ball, tika taka, its all irrelevant. The route to success in football is co-ordinated, systematic off the ball movement. Moving into space, making yourself available for the pass and then in turn, doing something with it once you get it e.g. starting with controlling it and not letting it bounce 3 yards off your knee...then pass and move. Get enough people arriving on an overload, at the right time and bingo - the pass, the cross - becomes simple. When you are trying to hit a static 5'4'' player with two 6'5'' centrehalves all over him and a DM sat 5 yards in front - good luck.

Lets give the man a chance. Please, oh please Tony, bring back a style of football that is dynamic and with purpose, so we can all get behind the team, win, lose or draw.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

20 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Burnley must have seen us coming with that signing.

An absolute bust flush of a player. 

Still sends a shudder down my spine.

Especially Dyches parting thank you "We can't stand in his way or match what Sheffield Wednesday can give him"

Man City couldn't match what we was paying Dave jones:duntmatter:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Pieman said:

Exactly. Wilko also played with wingers and attacking fullbacks, bombing on. Yet, he was the architect of 'long ball'....Like you, I loved the high intensity, aggressive stuff. I also liked winning games and being feared by everyone.

Even if you look at Big Ron's style of football, he advocated getting it forward early. Sheridan would always receive the ball from the centre halves and find palmer, hirst, carr, irish, atkinson - whoever the runners were, with an inch perfect 60/70 yard pass. That side transitioned from defence to attack, better than any Wednesday team I have seen - and it was all about off the ball movement, knowing full well Sheri would find the open man. Monks style of play was too static. How many times was the player with the ball stood facing at least three of four stationary options? 

Long ball, tika taka, its all irrelevant. The route to success in football is co-ordinated, systematic off the ball movement. Moving into space, making yourself available for the pass and then in turn, doing something with it once you get it e.g. starting with controlling it and not letting it bounce 3 yards off your knee...then pass and move. Get enough people arriving on an overload, at the right time and bingo - the pass, the cross - becomes simple. When you are trying to hit a static 5'4'' player with two 6'5'' centrehalves all over him and a DM sat 5 yards in front - good luck.

Lets give the man a chance. Please, oh please Tony, bring back a style of football that is dynamic and with purpose, so we can all get behind the team, win, lose or draw.

What i hate is over cautious,playing like we are away when at Hillsborough,too many in defence,playing too deep and hoofing it high into the middle in the hope we win it.

If we are playing with more intensity,getting it wide and getting balls in the box that can be exciting and show we are trying to win the game instead of nick it.

Long ball can be exciting.

• Like 3

The thing is take any 18 of our Bar Room Managers and throw into the mix Jos and Monk. Give them a Premier league club each and I would favour the chances of any one of our Bar Room Managers for winning the Premiership over Joss and Monk.

The point I make is that there are n't too many Managers around at our level, (Hence Jos & Monk). Whether you like the style of Pulis is a different matter. Personally, give me substance over style, as results improve so will style !    

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

I have pigeonholed everything I've read about him prior to now. I'm giving him a clean slate of support.

I thought he sounded very pragmatic. We will play to the strengths of our current squad, not look to make them fit a style and system they don't have the skills for. At the same time, he knows how he'd ultimately like to play.

This season is about the here and now, very little margin for error, we need to become "effective" and quickly. We can embellish things later all being well.

Hard-work and determination will be the cornerstones of how he plays, now and going forward.

I don't think we can or should expect instant results. Injuries are still a major factor. So long as we can see a steady progression (something Monk was never able to show) I think fans will back him with patience.  

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 18:45, oldishowl said:

It’s more the mentality issue, he refers to winners and character.

As a club we struggle with this and I can’t get my head around why.

Is it something the player just has or can a manager instil it.

We take winners and turn them into wimps. We did that with Dave Jones for example. He played lots of games in a successful Burnley side under a very competitive manager and we turned him into a girls blouse.

I just think within half a dozen games he will see the issue , probably already knows it.

We have a ridiculous foul and card count yet are the most naive and bullied team in the league.

I agree with every word! If Pulis can just stop us conceding after 85 minutes it's worth 10-15 points!! And that's down to mentality and strength of character.

He has to get us scoring goals, defence this season has not been that bad, with a bit of organisations it will be solid. If he doesn't get goals we will have draws and that's the real relegation threat under him. It really isn't likely to be pretty at all. He has never changed. If he can get us scoring goals and we win fairly regularly people will put up with it. If not like everywhere else people will remember the price of their ticket and want him out. Staying up and getting to a clean slate where we can spend money again then sack him and let new guy spend money but with top DOF to make sure we buy good. Or we will have to get another new squad to go for promotion after Pulis. We don't want to let him reshape the squad more than he needs to. It's harsh but that's what we need to do. If we have to have him then it's when to move on that will be hugley important. That's if he is successful..... like I say it's cruel but the thing we need most is a long term strategy to get us up so we can get some money in.

As others have said, I must admit Pulis is growing on me...It might just be a case of him  saying the right things who knows.

but the Westwood saga basically he's said he's the best keeper at the club so we should play him

pretty much a no brainer

We've had people on here recently saying we cant play Westwood as we have to give him a million pound bonus

We cant play him as other members of the team wont play with him and all the usual bull

but here he is straight back in the team

No nonsense management  and fingers up the bull that people post

• Like 3

On 16/11/2020 at 18:45, oldishowl said:

As a club we struggle with this and I can’t get my head around why.

Is this, in part, down to us, the fans and the negativity we can so often throw around on social media? Pulis mentioned the fact that players aren't as mentally strong as they used to be. Even DC recently said the negativity has, allegedly, scuppered a potential sponsorship deal.

I know this isn't unique to just our fans. Fans across the country do it all the time. But we do have one of the biggest football forums going which makes it easier for players to view the negativity.

It's a question I am throwing out there, not a finger of blame being pointed otherwise I'd be pointing the finger at myself at times. I get why people are negative and it's simply due to the fact that they want more, from the club they love and so they are hurt and respond accordingly. A very basic and understandable human reaction. Equal to that reaction, is the reaction of the player(s) the comments are aimed at, so I can also understand why some players feel the negativity more than others, as everyone is different.

Are we the fans playing some part in this, both on and off the terraces?

I didn’t want Pulis, but I’m realistic enough to realise that people like Howe are going to get better opportunities than us.

Pulis certainly isn’t the most exciting appointment, but here’s why I’m relieved:

1. We’ve avoided the oddball appointment like Luhukay etc

2. We’ve avoided the merry go round types like Maclaren, Rowett, Pardew

3. Not the most exciting but he has a much higher pedigree than Monk, who doesn’t seem to last long ever. We’ve got a manager who was Premier League Manager of the Season. That’s huge

I’d have preferred someone like Pearson, but I don’t know if we could have got Him. He comes with his own issues too.

We’ll see at the weekend, whether this is just rhetoric, or whether he actually does have other strings to his bow. He has inherited a group of players for whom, the long ball style doesn’t work, so I will be delighted if he proves his critics wrong by adopting a pass and move game 

On 17/11/2020 at 12:19, Errol Flashman said:

Well you tend to get pigeonholed when you've done the same thing a few times don't you?

That said, I've got no problem if we're playing high tempo stuff and getting the ball slung in their box..

I know one thing I prefer seeing the ball in their box more than seeing it near ours.  

Then again when I first started going Howard were manager and I found it right exciting. Whenever I saw a ball being driven towards Chapmans head in were out me seat. 

I might get slaughtered here but, as I see it, that's exactly what Monk was trying to do. He wanted players who would run their socks off (regardless of their quality) and wanted wing-backs who would sling loads of balls into their box (regardless of their quality). If we continue the same philosophy with the same players I can't see anything changing.

1 minute ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I might get slaughtered here but, as I see it, that's exactly what Monk was trying to do. He wanted players who would run their socks off (regardless of their quality) and wanted wing-backs who would sling loads of balls into their box (regardless of their quality). If we continue the same philosophy with the same players I can't see anything changing.

I thought it was a bit of a half-arrsed miss match of styles to be honest.

Not football football but not direct either.....more tip, tap, tip tap, boot.

Sort of like , worst of both worlds.

Don't think it helped that none of the players seemed to play on their natural side.

I liked Howards team. Me first team.  Zico and Worthy.... on the correct flank arrowing the ball into to Chapmans head. Marwood buzzing about. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We’ll see at the weekend, whether this is just rhetoric, or whether he actually does have other strings to his bow. He has inherited a group of players for whom, the long ball style doesn’t work, so I will be delighted if he proves his critics wrong by adopting a pass and move game 

I'm not sure he's inherited a group of players the pass and move game suits either has he?

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.