Garry Monk post match reaction - "We controlled the game"

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

"I am pleased overall. It's the first 90 minutes for all those players," 

"We knew we were going to play against a team that was a little further ahead than us in terms of minutes.

"We knew they were going to physically compete but I think, overall, we controlled the game.

"Defensively the structure was good and we didn't really suffer on our goal, which was pleasing, and offensively we got in some good situations.

"We didn't finish off the chances we created in the second half but I think in terms of getting 90 minutes in their legs and getting that match sharpness will do them a world of good.

"A win's a win and we are into the next round. I knew we were going to have to match them physically.

"I thought we controlled the game as a whole but we just didn't finish off in the good positions that we got in.

"Playing 90 minutes will have done those players in terms of getting that match sharpness a world of good.

"The attitude was great and the focus was there and we got the win."

Meanwhile on planet earth the fans witnessed a bore draw which had to be settled on penalties.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

"We knew we were going to play against a team that was a little further ahead than us in terms of minutes.

"We knew they were going to physically compete but I think, overall, we controlled the game.

"Defensively the structure was good and we didn't really suffer on our goal, which was pleasing, and offensively we got in some good situations.

"We didn't finish off the chances we created in the second half but I think in terms of getting 90 minutes in their legs and getting that match sharpness will do them a world of good.

"A win's a win and we are into the next round. I knew we were going to have to match them physically.

"I thought we controlled the game as a whole but we just didn't finish off in the good positions that we got in.

"Playing 90 minutes will have done those players in terms of getting that match sharpness a world of good.

Posted 1 hour ago

Posted 1 hour ago

Posted 1 hour ago

Yes Well said Garry !

53 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Did he mention the M6 motorway ‘cause the bastardcommentator did every 10 bastardminutes?

Counting the wagons passing on the M6 was the most entertaining part of the 90 minutes. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Does DC buy into this cool talking conman, we can all talk the talk, look at his cv. we need better mr C .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frazzlebeak said:

I’m no Monk fanboy but ffs it’s a pre season friendly. If we are still doing the same 7 games in then by all means 

I’ve been sat here reading all these comments from the bed wetters thinking to myself  ‘it’s a pre season friendly ffs ‘ .... you’re the first one to actually recognise it ( and say it )  👏

2 hours ago, trev said:

Why does he have to repeat the same things over and over in his interviews?

It's as if before the interview he picks out one of his cliche manager responses from his training manual and he just repeats it over and over.

Bit weird.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm astounded that he thinks that game had any positives in it other than Penny's 30 mins.

The other day he said the players were ready. That didn't show up at all.

If he'd come out and said it was an awful game (both sides) we were well below what he expected or wanted, there's lots to improve on but a win us a win and it's the first game, then I'd have had more respect for him. Those post match comments insult our intelligence.

• Like 3