Garry Monk post match reaction - "We controlled the game"

51 minutes ago, debram said:

Does DC buy into this cool talking conman, we can all talk the talk, look at his cv. we need better mr C .

We tried to get better but he was the best we could get apparently. We were looking for long enough.

2 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

Did he say why he chose to play one of the best creative attacking midfield players in the division with his back to goal as a target man?

I don't think he owes anyone an explanation. 

I wish some on here would engage their brain for more than two seconds, look past the end of their nose and try to figure out what the objective was today rather than bitching about Monk.

Maximum minutes on the pitch for ALL players likely to be in or around the first eleven, even if they were played out of position for part of the match.

Being defensively solid.

And FFS we won...

It was too soon for Windass to play 90 and Rhodes is a waste of time. The only different thing I'd have done was leaving Rhodes at home and bring in the young lad who played the last game.

Next week we have Windass and Katchunga up top. We should therefore look more balanced.

I'm already predicting that won't make some here any happier.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

We tried to get better but he was the best we could get apparently. We were looking for long enough.

Should have waited longer, best you can get at the time is not good enough, too long clutching at straws will get us nowhere. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, debram said:

Should have waited longer, best you can get at the time is not good enough, too long clutching at straws will get us nowhere. 

I seems to remember the fans kicking up a stink because we'd not got a manager appointed.

I do take your point though. Does it also apply to out search for a centre forward, is it better to sign the best we can get now or wait until possibly next summer before we get the right one.

I agree we controlled the game - we had most of the possession and the only time I felt Walsall might score was from a corner.

But - it was a very sterile type of possession. We rarely created chances. I guess that's my main problem with Monk - I like the attitude and spirit he's trying to instil in the team, building a younger squad, not accepting divisive players. But - there doesn't seem to be any sort of plan about how to build attacks and score goals. We rarely seem to create overloads, get behind the other teams defence, create lots of chances. I'd like to see a more cohesive type of attack.

I'm happy to give him some time this season, a player like Brown and the new, more dynamic forwards coming in might help. But aside from Odubajo/Penney bursting through from wingback occasionally, it was hard today to understand how we were trying to score a goal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4evaowl said:

Couldn't agree more.

I'm astounded that he thinks that game had any positives in it other than Penny's 30 mins.

The other day he said the players were ready. That didn't show up at all.

If he'd come out and said it was an awful game (both sides) we were well below what he expected or wanted, there's lots to improve on but a win us a win and it's the first game, then I'd have had more respect for him. Those post match comments insult our intelligence.

Overall, it was awful. One positive is the problem with the first 75 minutes was glaringly obvious- we had two players up front who hadn't a clue how to play the role. Utterly bemused by this, but it's an easy fix, as we saw in the last 15 mins. Rhodes isnt the striker he was, and Windass isn't match fit, hut just the fact they know where to be and what to do improved us no end- as did Brown playing inbetween the lines behind them.

So, I'd link to think (if he didn't know before) Monk now knows how urgent it is to get another out and out striker in, other than Rhodes. 

Other positives.. 

Brown (as previously mentioned) will be a threat played in the correct position, but will we be brave enough to play him.behind two forwards? I'm hoping Kachunga's much talked about work rate will allow us to do this, or Windass's ability to also drop deep and support the midfield.

Penney's willingness to deliver an early ball is surely what Rhodes needs if they're both to be given a chance.

Dawson looked assured- hopefully the new keeper coach is having an impact. In front of him the back three looked solid defensively but we'll never make a real success off this system with someone as weak as Tom Lees is on the ball playing in there regularly 

Thought the midfield three of Luongo, Bannan and Fiz were poor today. More to come from all three of them.

Reach was poor and In struggling to find a place for him in the side. 

Odubajo did ok, but his decision making in both halves of the pitch is so poor.

In summary, we must find a striker this week, or Monk needs to back Rhodes and play to his strengths- early balls into the box from wide 

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

So what you make of  other championship sides especially Cardiff  as they lost 3-0 to Northampton  and played most of first team like us? 

Couldn't care less what Cardif or any other club in the world today, I support Wednesday.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Like 2

I think perhaps Monk was being a little generous by suggesting we had control of the game. The possession stats would probably back him up, but we need to keep the ball a lot better than we did. We now have a midfield that, if used properly, has the quality to dominate better sides than Walsall. The ball spent too much time in the air for my liking, especially as it was never an avenue that was likely to bring us a goal. I don’t know whether that was Monk’s tactics, or just a case of old habits die hard. Of course it was a bit lopsided with no recognised strikers on the pitch, but we didn’t help ourselves by aiming high balls up to the two token front men. I’ve seen other sides cope with a lack of strikers by keeping the ball, playing through the opposition with pass and move football. We had the capability to do that, but strangely chose not to So, although we had the greater possession, we never really had total control

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 2

The worrying aspect for me is two games played and barely a shot on goal. We finished last season struggling to score, and we seem to be continuing that trend.

You can say that’s excusable agains a top six premier league side, but against a second division team who haven’t played since March?

I really hope I’m wrong but it looks like it’s going to be another long haul.

• Like 2