Who is most to blame for this season?

Guest Grandad

Who is to blame?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Who is most to blame for our clubs bad season?

• Manager
    • Chairman

1 minute ago, SwellOwl said:

This. Bruce leaving during pre-season would have had a major impact to all our plans. Just when chairman made a strong move, it falls apart. 

I think just saying 'Steve Bruce' is way too simplistic

What you have to ask is 'how has Chansiri managed the club since Steve Bruce left?'

Has he given us the best possible chance of success?

Has he provided his manager with all the tools he needs to do his job?

etc etc etc

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

46 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

No need for the gas lighting. People doubting monk aren't daft. There is plenty of supportive evidence to doubt monk (& most do).

For me his poor results record, his prior history of fall outs, & his inability to heal/manage the FF/Westwood/hutch rift (which Bruce was doing).

Nothing daft about it 

Playing three at the back v Fulham tells you all you need to know about Monk.

Next...

garymegson

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What you have to ask is 'how has Chansiri managed the club since Steve Bruce left?'

etc etc etc

Indeed, when Bruce left (which dragged out and took a while so we had plenty of notice) there was still 3.5 weeks before the summer transfer window shut.

A well run club has a list of replacements picked out at all times in case of these situations happening. If you have a good manager in the championship you should be prepared for a PL club to come calling.

Anyway if we had a list of replacements and they all turned us down, we still had time to get someone in (Rowett, Monk whoever) and give them a week or so to work in the summer transfer market. 

Instead Chansiri left Bullen in charge until after the window had shut.  Makes sense? Not really 

• Like 3

There’s mitigating circumstances for both of them. 
Chansiri  must have been devastated when Bruce walked out last summer during pre season, taking all his staff with him. A massive blow which it was always going to be hard to recover from. He would quite rightly have been expecting AT LEAST play offs if he’d stayed. No wonder he had a face like a slapped 4rse when Monk was unveiled. 

Monk has undoubtedly not exactly played a blinder, especially with his bizarre selections, tactics and substitutions at times. His media profile isn’t great either, where he comes across as dour and uninspiring, which I imagine is how he seems to the players. However, for him to have to work without any coaching staff selected by him is beyond unreasonable and he has also had to put up with some divisive characters behind the scenes who he should have been able to rely on as senior players. 

So on balance, Chansiri is more to blame as he expected Monk to work with one hand tied behind his back. However, if Monk had been more inspiring as a leader he would have got more out of this group so I’m afraid he has to go. 

• Like 1

I suppose the players have probably found it difficult working nearly all season with the threat of a points deduction potentially negating any positive outcomes on the pitch. However, they should have had the collective will to get on and do their best and the manager should have been an inspirational figure who drove them on to achieve the best possible points tally possible. So of course, it would have been devastating if for instance they had achieved automatic promotion and then had it taken away, but imagine how it would have united the fan-base, players, manager and owner, in their determination to right a wrong the following season. 

What are we left with now? A team who have certainly not put in a proper shift for most of the games since Christmas, leaving us vulnerable to relegation when even a half decent response would have seen us safe even from a 15 point deduction. So next season, unless there is a complete overhaul of management, coaching and playing staff, the supporters are going to take some convincing that they should get back to Hillsborough in numbers when it’s finally possible. That’s what should be focusing Chansiri's thoughts after the Boro game, if not already. 

Ultimately, the blame lies with Chansiri, but that doesn't get away from the fact that Monk is not particularly good at his job...but then Chansiri appointed him, so go figure. 

The whole thing really is a complete mess though and the scary bit is it could get even worse. 

• Like 8

We seem directionless; passive and communitive  both on and off the pitch.

Players going through the motions; an owner who's stripped the management out of the club with him sitting in Thailand for the majority of the year, and a manager who seems to have accepted this and shrugs his shoulders at our increasingly frequent capitulations.

If our post Christmas form had been replicated up until Christmas we'd be down by now, and we could have taken any points deduction the EFL choose to impose.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

etc etc etc

I think we can all agree that he has not given us the best chance. I think the chairman thought Bruce could work with what he had, left and then ran out of ideas.

The impression you get is we didnt go up in the first two seasons and Chansiri's enthusiasm has waned ever since.

Perhaps there was a momentary upsurge when Bruce came in and then since he left we have been completely directionless.

The fact Monk remains in a job despite this wretched form is testament to the fact that Chansiri a) doesn't have a clue; b) is too stubborn to accept he fooked up again; or c) both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

No need for the gas lighting. People doubting monk aren't daft. There is plenty of supportive evidence to doubt monk (& most do).

For me his poor results record, his prior history of fall outs, & his inability to heal/manage the FF/Westwood/hutch rift (which Bruce was doing).

Nothing daft about it 

Monk probably isn’t the best man to take us forward . I dunno . That’s not the issue. The rift as you put it didn’t need healing . All 3 of those players needed moving on. All 3 are 30 plus , all 3 have poor injury history and all 3 aren’t anywhere near the players they were . They were on premier  league wages for very little return. 

flogging a dead horse and relying on players who are past it and on mega bucks . That really is daft. Obsessing about monk is a waste of time . Whilst ever chansiri is here the club will be a joke 

• Like 1
  • Love 1