Who is most to blame for this season?

Guest Grandad

Who is to blame?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Who is most to blame for our clubs bad season?

• Manager
    • Chairman

2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

You could put guardiola or klopp in charge of this team but the individual errors would still be there.

It is his job to iron them out or play in a manner to minimise them.

As the tables I posted previously indicate, he managed this in his first 17 games in charge but as is the case in his managerial career it doesn't take long before results go south for him and it has happened big time with us. 

I don't expect this team to be top 6 as it was for half a season but I do expect it to be better than 23rd as we have been by a fair distance this year.

Edited by Guest

43 minutes ago, Grandad said:

This has been a stick used to beat the manager and team for the second half of the season

Anybody who had watched us home and away in that first half of the season knew it was a false position. We really didnt deserve to be there

Disagree. Being third at Christmas is not false. The amount of last minute goals we conceded prior to the festive period was ridiculous. If we had hung on in games we could easily have gone into the New Year in the top two.

The team has just completely folded. We were actually playing some decent stuff under Monk when he first arrived.

• Like 2

I haven't voted cos there are multiple answers, numerous issues this season, and on and off the pitch ever since Wembley. I keep hoping we will learn from mistakes and start being more sensible and astute as a club but it just seemingly gets worse every year. Results have been atrocious after Christmas day along with our home record. Utterly depressing, felt optimistic before Bruce left us in the lurch but apart from a few seasons this century and several in the 90s, it's been mediocre and depressing supporting Wednesday for the majority of my lifetime. Hopefully better times will come again but it seems a lifetime ago when we were last in the top flight. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It is his job to iron them out or play in a manner to minimise them.

As the tables I posted previously indicate, he managed this in his first 17 games in charge but as is the case in his managerial career it doesn't take long before results go south for him and it has happened big time with us. 

I don't expect this team to be top 6 as it was for half a season but I do expect it to be better than 23rd as we have been by a fair distance this year.

I reckon 100% he has tried and tried to iron out individual errors, but it is blindingly obvious from his comments, and the performances that some just aren't learning. You cannot pin the blame for this on monk.

You're putting the blame for the downturn in results entirely at monks door. So none of the players, and their continued individual errors are to blame? I think you've counter argued against yourself there without knowing it.

33 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Disagree. Being third at Christmas is not false. The amount of last minute goals we conceded prior to the festive period was ridiculous. If we had hung on in games we could easily have gone into the New Year in the top two.

The team has just completely folded. We were actually playing some decent stuff under Monk when he first arrived.

I seem to remember Sky saying several times that our stats were way out of sync with our position, and pointed to a mid table team.

2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

I reckon 100% he has tried and tried to iron out individual errors, but it is blindingly obvious from his comments, and the performances that some just aren't learning. You cannot pin the blame for this on monk.

You're putting the blame for the downturn in results entirely at monks door. So none of the players, and their continued individual errors are to blame? I think you've counter argued against yourself there without knowing it.

Of course the players have responsibility but they are led by the manager and he is ultimately responsible, that's how football works I'm afraid. He has cast aside players he doesn't want and results have got worse.

As I have said any struggling team first looks to be resolute, nothing about the way Monk has set up the team suggests he is capable of instilling this and results have got alarmingly worse since Christmas with the same squad of players, the direction he has taken the team in has been of a downward trajectory. 

3 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

I seem to remember Sky saying several times that our stats were way out of sync with our position, and pointed to a mid table team.

If only we had performed like that rather than easily the 23rd best over the past 22 games......

Chairman has his faults

Manager has his faults

The root of the problem is the playing staff - you forgot to add them to the vote. 

The players have collectively failed for a few years now, every change of manager results in the same failure - the players.

The chairman should stop treating them as family and accept we need rid of the majority of the squad, sell some of the "asset players" won't get much for them now but it's something, he also needs to appoint a footballing CEO or Chairman, we need someone at the top there day to day to support and help the club and manager.

The manager needs to be able to bring his players in with a value to move on if need be, he also needs to be able to bring in his coaches he trusts and works with and he must be given time to implement a new strategy.

The club is rudderless, it lacks leadership at the top, the team massively lacks leadership on the pitch - nobody is stepping up, we need a captain who is not a mate of mates but a leader who wants success. (Iorfa for me) 

Changing manager wont solve the problem while keeping the same players who most don't look like they care and keeping the rudderless ship hitting the iceberg continually thinking you will break through eventually.

Then you start the rebuild. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Of course the players have responsibility but they are led by the manager and he is ultimately responsible, that's how football works I'm afraid. He has cast aside players he doesn't want and results have got worse.

As I have said any struggling team first looks to be resolute, nothing about the way Monk has set up the team suggests he is capable of instilling this and results have got alarmingly worse since Christmas with the same squad of players, the direction he has taken the team in has been of a downward trajectory. 

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If only we had performed like that rather than easily the 23rd best over the past 22 games......

Of the players cast aside, who would you have kept?

How would you have made us more resolute?

You can't use a section of the season to say how good/bad we are. We aren't 23rd as you keep saying.

29 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

You can't use a section of the season to say how good/bad we are. We aren't 23rd as you keep saying.

The goalkeeper is still being paid, is under contract for another season and has not conceded more than 2 in any game this season despite a drop in his previous standards

Most managers are able to set up to be resolute, if not they lose their jobs. Do you think the likes of Barnsley, Wigan and others have much better defensive options than us? They are able to defend much better than us.

We have slid from 3rd to 16th and the highest we can possibly finish is 14th. A slide like that which includes being the 23rd best in the form table for half a season and conceding 2 goals per game on average would see the vast majority of managers lose their job.

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

Still seeing lots of people saying we need to change the manager this summer... But will that fix things?

Chairman chose the manager and didn’t act in March. 

But the manager is the one who picks the team and is ultimately responsible. It’s not the worst squad in the league by any stretch of the imagination. 

Just now, crookesowl said:

Chairman chose the manager and didn’t act in March. 

But the manager is the one who picks the team and is ultimately responsible. It’s not the worst squad in the league by any stretch of the imagination. 

Are you sure on the playing staff? Bunch of spineless failures for the most part (admittedly with a few exceptions) 

Manager can only work with what he's got. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GLOwl said:

50 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The goalkeeper is still being paid, is under contract for another season and has not conceded more than 2 in any game this season despite a drop in his previous standards

Most managers are able to set up to be resolute, if not they lose their jobs. Do you think the likes of Barnsley, Wigan and others have much better defensive options than us? They are able to defend much better than us.

We have slid from 3rd to 16th and the highest we can possibly finish is 14th. A slide like that which includes being the 23rd best in the form table for half a season and conceding 2 goals per game on average would see the vast majority of managers lose their job.

So playing Westwood is the answer to all our problems? I don't think so. I've highlighted the questions for you so you can actually answer them this time.

Please enlighten me.