Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?

Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Should Garry Monk's contract be extended beyond the end of the 2019-20 season?

• Offer him an extension/new deal
    • Send him packing/on Fernandos bike

15 minutes ago, the third man said:

Yet he is not there to manage them, and when he did they were outside the play off places

so he can spot a good players, but cant manage them correctly

So he brought in the players that had Leeds in the playoffs for most of the season but then they dropped off at the end and fell out of the playoff places on the last day. Last season Leeds spent most of the season in the playoffs/automatic places only to drop off at the end and go out of the playoffs with a whimper to derby. Sound familiar? 

16 minutes ago, the third man said:

Yet he is not there to manage them, and when he did they were outside the play off places

Monk left Leeds because they would only offer him a 1 year rolling contract and Boro came in and offer him a lot more money on a much longer contract.

As for what he did at Leeds, he turned them from a side who were nowhere near the promotion mix (and hadn’t been for some time), into a side who were at the top end of the division fighting for promotion and just missing out on the playoffs in the last couple of weeks of the season.

I would add however, my post was in response to somebody saying he couldn’t be trusted to bring players in, I was just showing that clearly he can.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness he took Pablo Hernandez, Pontus Jansen, Keira Roofe, Rob Green and Luke Ayling to Leeds United.

All of which would walk into our team right now.

At a guess (Green aside) all could or have been sold for more than they cost to bring in as well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

It seems that Nigel Pearson won't be staying on at Watford.

We should pay the money to bring him in with his coaching staff to completely restructure the football side of the club. Give him the control and he'll turñ the club around at all levels.

I honestly don’t know how many times Nigel Pearson has to say he doesn’t want to manage in Sheffield before some Wednesday fans get the message.

My concern with Monk is he doesn’t seem to know what to do when a team/squad has lost confidence. He did brilliantly at Leeds but it was odd the way they collapsed at the end and anyone looking at Wednesdays season since the fateful last five minutes at Stoke would have to conclude that he can steer a ship OK but he can’t turn it round. 

I tip my hat to him and the team for the FA Cup performances but if he stays we will break all sorts of calendar year records for crap-ness and we will be down by Christmas with any kind of points deduction.

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

26 minutes ago, the third man said:

Leaving Leeds was his own decision.. they were fuming when he left ... did a good job at Birmingham with massive behind the scenes issues ... I back him 100 hundred per cent 

I don’t think Monk is the man. I feel as if we are stuck. He’s already started making changes & probably identifying targets for next season. 

We aren’t in May....we are in July, with a really short turnaround. Unless we axe Monk & get a replacement in the next day (Under Chansiri that won’t happen!) 

Then a new guy would have to

sort pre season etc....identify new transfer targets which puts us behind. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Morepork said:

I've got so much anger fatigue that I can't even force myself to write what I think in full. 

Monk will be the fall guy, partly his fault but mostly because DC has failed in his duty to run this club in a professional manner. 

Worth posting again, couldn't agree more.

And who will be the next fall guy as it is probably only a matter of time before Monk gets forced out.

Would any decent manager want to risk their reputations. 

Edited by Vic Flange
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

My concern with Monk is he doesn’t seem to know what to do when a team/squad has lost confidence. He did brilliantly at Leeds but it was odd the way they collapsed at the end and anyone looking at Wednesdays season since the fateful last five minutes at Stoke would have to conclude that he can steer a ship OK but he can’t turn it round. 

I tip my hat to him and the team for the FA Cup performances but if he stays we will break all sorts of calendar year records for crap-ness and we will be down by Christmas with any kind of points deduction.

Leeds also collapsed last year under bielsa.

• Like 1

I voted to keep Monk but I’ll qualify that. 

Monk should have been sacked during lockdown. Results and performances since Christmas have been unacceptable. Monk’s lucky to still be in a job, and I’m sure he’s fully aware of that. 

But a new manager is going to have no time to assess our players - it’s not just about match day, it’s also about how they conduct themselves in training, how they behave in the dressing room; are they the ‘right characters’ that Monk keeps referring to. Any new manager is essentially going to have to rely on the likes of Bullen and Weaver to advise him which faces fit and who needs offloading.

Now obviously, if we were able to bring in Smith, Hughton or Cook then we should make the change, but I think it’s more likely that we would end up with a Lee Johnson or Carlos type who would do more harm than good. 

As others have pointed out, some of Monk’s signings at previous clubs have been quite impressive. I’m hoping he can do the same for us.

And yet, I have serious doubts about whether Monk will still be with us in a year’s time and can’t help but wonder whether extending his stay is just delaying the inevitable.

Edited by snaykz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamie_W said:

Bruce wasn't exactly a star name at that point either, I seem to remember Villa fans telling us to run a mile, we helped get his reputation back on track as much as anything.

We aren't getting a Sam Allardyce or a Sean Dyche.

Yes please.

Feel he has been dealt a poor hand really what with not bringing his own coaching team in and doing the job with one hand tied behind his back. 

However the run since Boxing Day and the football played has been horrendous.  Coupled with his insipid deneneouer and handling of players such as Hutch, Westwood, FF etc. who would improve this team its a no from me.  

44 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

We should pay the money to bring him in with his coaching staff to completely restructure the football side of the club. Give him the control and he'll turñ the club around at all levels.

44 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

A lot of people on here are not supporters of Pearson but I will repeat what I said in an earlier post

1. We is ex player who gave his all throughout his playing career especially for Wednesday and knows the club through and through

2. He has managed at all levels and knows players who are skilful and passionate with the right attitude.

3. He has an history of wearing his heart on his sleeve but doesn’t  accept under performers and speaks his mind although that does occasionally get him into trouble with the authorities.

4 Even at his age he has looked after himself and is fit in mind and body which is a good attribute.

5. A man,s man who enjoys a good joke with his players but can be a strict disciplinarian

6. Still highly ambitious and well regarded within the game 

He is definitely the man for us so Mr Chansiri if we need to break the bank to get him he’s the starting point of our revival

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness he took Pablo Hernandez, Pontus Jansen, Keira Roofe, Rob Green and Luke Ayling to Leeds United.

All of which would walk into our team right now.

Can't argue with that and probably why they did so well BUT unfortunately the transfer situation we're in won't allow that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bolton9owl said:

A lot of people on here are not supporters of Pearson but I will repeat what I said in an earlier post

1. We is ex player who gave his all throughout his playing career especially for Wednesday and knows the club through and through

2. He has managed at all levels and knows players who are skilful and passionate with the right attitude.

3. He has an history of wearing his heart on his sleeve but doesn’t  accept under performers and speaks his mind although that does occasionally get him into trouble with the authorities.

4 Even at his age he has looked after himself and is fit in mind and body which is a good attribute.

5. A man,s man who enjoys a good joke with his players but can be a strict disciplinarian

6. Still highly ambitious and well regarded within the game 

He is definitely the man for us so Mr Chansiri if we need to break the bank to get him he’s the starting point of our revival

7. He has said repeatedly he doesn't want to manage us.

Or do we all just conveniently forget this? (Rhetorical question... of course we do)

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's mad innit

lol

Some people just don't listen/get it

In my view it’s not quite as black and white as you TrickyTrev suggest...although I think it is less likely he’d come here.

In his interview in May 2019 it’s clear that his love of living in Sheffield and the demands of modern day football management make him reluctant to be our manager but he also said:

"You never say never...” 

he also said: 

"So this is not me saying I don't want to do it and I am never going to do it. I might never have the opportunity.

"I have never turned it down before because I have never been given the opportunity”.

If the job was free, and so was he, I’d bust the bank to persuade him to come, even if it’s a long shot. Give him total control of the football side, and pay him well and that might be enough.

It will probably be academic anyway as if Watford don’t keep him he’ll be a sought after man.

1 hour ago, Sticky Micky said:

Thank god your not in charge 

-What experience does Loovens have to be a CEO? 

-O'neill is well past it

-Cahill has another year at Palace and turns 35 this year, why would we sign a aging player on silly wages 

Loovens is well connected, experienced and knows the chairman. He is also very much his own man and will have no issues disagreeing with the chairman if needs be. He is trusted by DC.

cahill will come and palace will let him go if he wants to join as a player coach. Wages won’t be a problem.

MON is a gamble. I think he has one more job in him.