Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?

Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Should Garry Monk's contract be extended beyond the end of the 2019-20 season?

• Offer him an extension/new deal
    • Send him packing/on Fernandos bike

How many goals have we scored from open play since Christmas? And by open play I mean not within about 5-10 seconds of a set piece either (so Murphy's deflected goal yesterday doesn't count). Monk supporters... answer the question. Actually do it.

Once you've answered that question, ask yourself an introspective one: do you honestly believe that a manager who has coached his team into scoring that many goals from open play in half a season has the required tactical nous to coach a team to unlock defences?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shandypants said:

Give him an extension to his contract. We need stability and he is willing to stay and try to turn it around (unlike Bruce was). People talk of getting in a top manager but which top managers would come to us?  Monk knows what to do. Let him do his stuff.

Like take us down?

22 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

I cant believe  that nearly 3 in 10 Owlstalkers think that Monk is the man to take us forward. Have they not seen the results since Xmas?

I'm not sure which is worse, this or 14% of Americans having a Zombie Apocalypse plan........

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, scilly owl said:

Difficult situation... Monk maybe the only option open to us at the moment but I’m not convinced that he’s capable of building  a unified team .

As for the Chairman, I’m not convinced that he is capable of identifying a suitable Managerial  candidate or whether he knows where to go for good in-depth advice.

This is one of the big problems with Monk. D’Argtanian he ain’t? ‘All for one and all your fault?’ 

I can’t see anyone out there, who is capable of turning this around.

We need an experienced manager like Big Jack, who will have a chance of getting some respect from the players. Unfortunately modern day overpaid players don’t give a to$$ about anything, but their bank balance and take liberties with inexperienced managers.

The PLAYERS are to blame for this situation, not the manager.

• Like 2

I still have a degree of sympathy for Monk, there is so much wrong with our club on every level, much of it out of his control. That said, my vote would be to let him go after the last game, primarily because we need to reset on a massive scale.

I'm not sitting in judgement on anyone, but I am very interested to know what positives people have seen in him that has given them a belief that he's the right guy going forward?

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 4

Let me think - how did we get Monk ? Ah now I remember, SB and the TWO Steve’s did a runner, Houghton and Pearson wouldn’t come, Pep and Klopp were busy. Check the merry go round and see a) whose available and b) will they come here with no coaching staff or assistant ? Then, come Xmas wash and repeat.

Edited by doubleo
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, scilly owl said:

As for the Chairman, I’m not convinced that he is capable of identifying a suitable Managerial  candidate or whether he knows where to go for good in-depth advice.

It's my opinion that his current advisors are not capable either.

Guest mrbluesky

Not sure it will matter who`s in charge going forward, we seem to be a poisoned chalice, tied with that, our budget next season is going to be lower Championship, by the looks of it. 

Monk is not a good fit for us at this moment. At any other club he would have been sacked already. This squad is more than capable of securing safety by now and if -12 points will see us relegated then it has been a disastrous season and he hasn't shown anything to suggest he is capable of turning this ship around at this level without significant investment which is task at hand.  Id only renew if we get relegated as it is his mess to put right and my vote is reflective of that. 

17 minutes ago, Jamie_W said:

I agree with your first sentence entirely. 

However the second sentence is lunacy. What ‘top manager’ is going to come here exactly, we may even be in League 1 next season. Wednesday are not in a good state and are not a big draw.

Chances are we need to ride it out with Monk and see what we can get out of the summer when the replacements for those we’ve shipped off have been found. Only then, with his staff and his players can he be properly evaluated.

We weren’t in a good state when Jos went but we still managed to get Bruce in

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shandypants said:

Give him an extension to his contract. We need stability and he is willing to stay and try to turn it around (unlike Bruce was). People talk of getting in a top manager but which top managers would come to us?  Monk knows what to do. Let him do his stuff.

Sorry, but on what basis are you making this claim?

Monk has never won anything in management. His record is bang average. His best spell was with Leeds when over 53 games he achieved 1.7 points per game. Well short of the 1.89 needed on average for automatic promotion.