Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?

Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Should Garry Monk's contract be extended beyond the end of the 2019-20 season?

• Offer him an extension/new deal
    • Send him packing/on Fernandos bike

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He was driving a porsche and had a pit crew

Monk's having to ride a clapped out bicycle

I not sure who I would compare Carlos to in terms of professional drivers, I'm not sre Monk would be classed as a professional driver at all by the same token.

It’s weird in the sense I’m so torn on him. Any other manager would have slowly made their exit with a whimper after the last 6 months, but Monk seems a real fighter. It’s clear to see he’s in the middle of a transition and he’s trying to implement change.

Heart says get rid, head says give more time 

1 hour ago, Carbone said:

If he’s staying I want him to be given funds to build a squad he wants.

If it’s going to be bugger all investment for 3 or 4 years, we might as well get Mick McCarthy

Might as well ??

Mick McCarthy is a massive step up

fron Monk 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Guest gizowl
5 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Unless we can get a top manager like Bielsa or Bruce keep with Monk. It's the tools he has had to work with. Try asking Hamilton to win a grand prix in a Skoda rather than a Merc. 

Hey, I drive a Skoda karoq 4x4,best car I've had including BMW and Mercedes in the past. Never have another Mercedes. 

14 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Unless we can get a top manager like Bielsa or Bruce keep with Monk. It's the tools he has had to work with. Try asking Hamilton to win a grand prix in a Skoda rather than a Merc. 

I bet Hamilton would fare better in a grand prix in a Skoda than I would in his Merc though. A good F1 car still needs a decent driver. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

It’s weird in the sense I’m so torn on him. Any other manager would have slowly made their exit with a whimper after the last 6 months, but Monk seems a real fighter. It’s clear to see he’s in the middle of a transition and he’s trying to implement change.

Heart says get rid, head says give more time 

He’s lost too many games as Wednesday manager to turn it round now.

It just doesn’t happen after such a wretched run of form. 

This club needs a character to lift the place. It always has. The best periods supporting Wednesday in my time we’ve had a real character in charge who the fans get behind. 

Bruce, Megson, Carlos, Sturrock, Laws. Before my time Big Ron and Jack Charlton. 

Monk is in the same category as Irvine, Luhukay, Dave Jones, Yorath. Divides the fanbase, doesn’t inspire and hard to warm towards.

This football club is at its best when it has a personality which can handle the demands of the fanbase. A man who commands the respect of the players.

That will never be Monk.

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Might as well ??

Mick McCarthy is a massive step up

fron Monk 

Big Mick would be the ideal man to oversee this transition. Won’t put up with any poo , will command respect, will make us hard to beat and will get players fighting for the shirt. 

• Like 1

I'd have Carlos back in a heartbeat.

If that's not an option, it's clear that either Monk or half the squad need to go.

His interviews for a while now have been along the lines of "I keep telling them, but they're not doing it..."

This sounds like a manager out of ideas, or players that just can't do what he's asking of them

• Like 1

To all those defending Monk and saying its not his fault its all DC's fault.

Remember the times before DC.  We have I think still a better squad than we did in those times when we were flirting with relegation and a good season was just about managing to scrape into top half.

Monk did well before Christmas, its the same players, yes I agree with over performed however when you look at our form post Christmas it has been appalling.  Pre DC with a much worse team we would have been calling for any managers head with the results we have had.

This summer is extremely important, we will be changing up the squad, we will be getting players in on 3yr contracts.  If we get this wrong we will have to live with the dead wood for 3 yrs.  

If we do get rid of Monk though we need make sure we have someone lined up that is better, we need to wait and see what happens with the EFL, if we are in league one next season I think might as well stick with Monk as he is probably better than we can get but if we do stay up then I think there are alternatives that are as good if not better.  Its quite obvious Monk has lost the changing room.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

He’s lost too many games as Wednesday manager to turn it round now.

It just doesn’t happen after such a wretched run of form. 

This club needs a character to lift the place. It always has. The best periods supporting Wednesday in my time we’ve had a real character in charge who the fans get behind. 

Bruce, Megson, Carlos, Sturrock, Laws. Before my time Big Ron and Jack Charlton. 

Monk is in the same category as Irvine, Luhukay, Dave Jones, Yorath. Divides the fanbase, doesn’t inspire and hard to warm  too. 

This football club is at its best when it has a personality which can handle the demands of the fanbase. A man who commands the respect of the players.

That will never be Monk.

Definitely agree we need a larger than life character 

I made the point yesterday on how the club was down when Monk took over - but in turn he seems to have done absolutely nothing since then to install positivity within the camp.

We’ve had a year of suicidal post match interviews, and his pre match ones are equally depressing 

Granted I have no idea what he’s like around the club, or in the dressing room, but I‘d like to think after watching him for this long we’d have a pretty good idea of the person he is 

4 minutes ago, The Wall said:

I'd have Carlos back in a heartbeat.

If that's not an option, it's clear that either Monk or half the squad need to go.

His interviews for a while now have been along the lines of "I keep telling them, but they're not doing it..."

This sounds like a manager out of ideas, or players that just can't do what he's asking of them

Seem to remember Dave Jones saying the same thing before he was sent packing and then Stuart Grey came in and thing’s changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Definitely agree we need a larger than life character 

I made the point yesterday on how the club was down when Monk took over - but in turn he seems to have done absolutely nothing since then to install positivity within the camp.

We’ve had a year of suicidal post match interviews, and his pre match ones are equally depressing 

Granted I have no idea what he’s like around the club, or in the dressing room, but I‘d like to think after watching him for this long we’d have a pretty good idea of the person he is 

Problem is we’ve had this points deduction hanging over us all season and the Pigs have been flying so it really has been a horrible season and hard to find any positives.

As for Monk i still don’t understand what his style of play is. When he first came I thought he was making us tough to beat, then we started leaking goals and now he’s changed to three at the back but we still look soft as hell. He says the players can’t do the basics yet the same squad when he first arrived managed to get to third in the league? 

I just think he’s lost it. He’s been dealt the worst hand but you look at a team like Wigan and see how they’ve responded to adversity and it puts our lot to shame. 

• Like 2

Also I feel for Monk in that he doesn’t have his usual backroom staff to help.

Clotet and Beattie aren’t here and he’s stuck with Bullen and Thompson. Two coaches he’s never worked with before and two coaches who alongside the players need to learn his methods. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Problem is we’ve had this points deduction hanging over us all season and the Pigs have been flying so it really has been a horrible season and hard to find any positives.

As for Monk i still don’t understand what his style of play is. When he first came I thought he was making us tough to beat, then we started leaking goals and now he’s changed to three at the back but we still look soft as hell. He says the players can’t do the basics yet the same squad when he first arrived managed to get to third in the league? 

I just think he’s lost it. He’s been dealt the worst hand but you look at a team like Wigan and see how they’ve responded to adversity and it puts our lot to shame. 

He’s lost it re team selection as he just seems to be trying anything at this point with no substance 

Stevie Wonder could see that Murphy and Dave have been our best players since the restart - playing people like Da Cruz over them is unforgivable

Our defensive frailties have been there since day one, so he plays three at the back. Odubajo has been all over the shop but he trusts him in the reliant wing back position? 

All decisions made by an ex defender would you believe, with another ex defender (or perhaps more accurate - estate agent) on the bench 

• Like 1