Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?

Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Should Garry Monk's contract be extended beyond the end of the 2019-20 season?

• Offer him an extension/new deal
    • Send him packing/on Fernandos bike

Just now, mcmigo said:

Loovens is well connected, experienced and knows the chairman. He is also very much his own man and will have no issues disagreeing with the chairman if needs be. He is trusted by DC.

cahill will come and palace will let him go if he wants to join as a player coach. Wages won’t be a problem.

MON is a gamble. I think he has one more job in him. 

I'd love to know how you know this 

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, it's a NO, from me.

Time to get a bloke in who can work with our budget of free transfers and loans, knows the mentality of us South Yorkshire folk but has not played for us and has no ties to the club, step forward Mr "Big" Mick McCarthy.

He'd bring discipline, fitness, structure, respect, hard work, heart, passion and a will to win back to S6.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

"Luton, meanwhile, have just one win from their last 12 outings but know a victory this evening would see the Hatters rise from the foot of the division."

He played Forestieri as a Left wing back and then took him off at half time against the worse team in the league  and we lost 1-0

Regardless of the resources he's had , he has been an absolute calamity.   I have given him the benefit of the doubt , given the circumstances, but if his contract is up on Thursday morning. there is no justification to extend or renew.

? My point was post lockdown. FF fizzed of along with Fletcher and Fox. 

I agree, never thought FF was wing back, but then I also thought the same about Harris.

This also the same FF who was called out by his team mates for not putting enough effort in training, hardly kicked a ball for 2 years and returned from lockdown not fit, doubt he could have lasted more than a half anyway.

Monk has made plenty of mistakes, but that one is not the most heanus!

Also, he will have a rolling contract.

Edited by striker
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_W said:

I agree with your first sentence entirely. 

However the second sentence is lunacy. What ‘top manager’ is going to come here exactly, we may even be in League 1 next season. Wednesday are not in a good state and are not a big draw.

Chances are we need to ride it out with Monk and see what we can get out of the summer when the replacements for those we’ve shipped off have been found. Only then, with his staff and his players can he be properly evaluated.

Absolute sense. I think we are agree, Monk is no better or worse than the merry go round of managers we can attract at present. What we definitely know is change after change after change, gets you nowhere.
Our plan now needs to look 3 to 5 years out. We need to:

1. Build a nucleus of loyal players willing to give their all for the club

2. A style of play that can run through the club

3. A strong fighting spirit - when you come to Hillsborough, you are in the fight of your lives

4. Finalise the EFL claptrap and put a 3 year budget in place

5. Employ an English/British Director of Football

6. Bring in 2 top training ground coaches

We need a club structure, like Brentford, that is independent of the manager. The manager is the icing on the cake, not the cook, cleaner and bottle washer.

Despite his shortcomings, Monk is best placed to do this for me, in our current situation. Get the transition above sorted; get some mid table, top of the lower half stability and then seek to attract a better calibre manager, to take us to the next level, in 12/18 months time, if Monk is not pushing up the league.

We should have gone for John Terry, but I feel we’ve missed the boat with him now. Bristol City interested in him. 

young hungry manager, great connections. Would demand a lot of respect from players. Would get the team defending well and he has served his time as an assistant with Villa. 

confident he will go on and do very well for someone. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

It's mad innit

lol

Some people just don't listen/get it

He’s not actually said he wouldn’t manage us has he? I remember years ago he said he wouldn’t when his kids were at school, but the most recent thing I can find of him on the topic is where he basically says he likes living in Sheffield, and everything could be jeopardised if he managed there, but has said that’s all hypothetical talk because he’s not actually been offered the job.

It does lean towards him not fancying it but we/he doesn’t know until he’s asked, it’s a never say never one

We need a long term plan. A style of play, a view to bring youngsters through, a plan to secure promising loans, whatever.

It doesn't matter whether Garry stays or not, we'll end up going round and round in circles if whoever we chose isn't working with a long term plan ticking away in the background.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

I cant believe  that nearly 3 in 10 Owlstalkers think that Monk is the man to take us forward. Have they not seen the results since Xmas?

The bloke is an absolute disaster on the scale of Jos, Irvine, Yorath & Eustace. The sooner he is binned off the better.

How easily we come to accept utter mediocrity at our club.

I'm convinced that the majority of people who want him to stay don't actually go to games. They can't do. It's not just the results, it's the clueless hoof and hope performances and (lack of) tactics as well, absolutely dire, the half season since Christmas is the most depressing run I've seen in my time watching Wednesday, and I've watched us under Eustace, Yorath, Turner, Irvine, and Luhukay. 

No doubt I'll get a sarcastic "uberfan" comment from somebody who backs Monk but hasn't seen the games now, I don't care. 

When a manager takes a team from this:

image.png.da078fa39798ed51d07f4d0360033b8c.png

To this (table from 25th Dec-18th July):

image.png.ad54844de85aca1f86623422a8197437.png

With the same squad plus loan signings he made in January then questions have to be asked of the direction he is taking the team in.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

When a manager takes a team from this:

image.png.da078fa39798ed51d07f4d0360033b8c.png

To this (table from 25th Dec-18th July):

image.png.ad54844de85aca1f86623422a8197437.png

With the same squad plus loan signings he made in January then questions have to be asked of the direction he is taking the team in.

Yeah but *insert standard list of excuses from the apologists here* 

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

We should crawl and grovel and get Carlos back to finish the job

But even with a squad of players who were not at our club when he was the manager the culture that currently exists (ignoring the recent 'positive vibes' that have led to 8 points from 8 games) is somehow all his fault.

8 minutes ago, Grandad said:

We should crawl and grovel and get Carlos back to finish the job

I have never understood the intense negativity towards Carlos by some fan’s.

Made mistakes but he oversaw the best period of football at our club for a very, very long time and I would love those days back.

• Like 4

Guest Grandad

In his 2 seasons here - from a standing start - Carlos got nearly as many points as we have in the 3 seasons since