Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?

Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Should Garry Monk's contract be extended beyond the end of the 2019-20 season?

• Offer him an extension/new deal
    • Send him packing/on Fernandos bike

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

IMO he lost Nando because of his magnificent man management skills? It wasn’t a very good idea to question his professionalism in public in the way he did after the Forest game?

Should have 'lost' Nando in my opinion after he refused to play against Norwich mate,whats he done really since his first season?..and Nando allegedly was offered the same deal as Big Dave,one stayed to help the Club fight,the other....?? How many Millions in wages do you think we will have to spend with 25% attendances only (and a potential Championship salary cap) in season 20/21? Just being realistic,..

Edited by parajack

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

He was on the official site again today saying all that matters is 3 points on Wednesday, nothing less will do. Why is he saying it before this game? Why not say it for previous games. Very odd. 

I thought he explained it quite clearly myself.  Saying that the 3 points are needed to finish strongly and to do it for the fans and themselves.  Nothing about needing a win to stay up.... 

“We have one game left and we want to finish with the points. Nothing less than three points will do for us to make sure we finish the season properly.

“We have to make sure that we’re more desperate for those points and that our attitude for those points is stronger than Middlesbrough’s.

“It won’t make amends for the run we’ve been on in the second half of the season but we want the three points for the fans, for ourselves - the need should always be there for three points and yes, I won’t accept anything less from them”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

I thought he explained it quite clearly myself.  Saying that the 3 points are needed to finish strongly and to do it for the fans and themselves.  Nothing about needing a win to stay up.... 

“We have one game left and we want to finish with the points. Nothing less than three points will do for us to make sure we finish the season properly.

“We have to make sure that we’re more desperate for those points and that our attitude for those points is stronger than Middlesbrough’s.

“It won’t make amends for the run we’ve been on in the second half of the season but we want the three points for the fans, for ourselves - the need should always be there for three points and yes, I won’t accept anything less from them”

you don’t think it’s a daft thing to say? What if we lose when he has been giving it the whole all that matters is 3 points. Obviously he didn’t say we needed the win to stay up but why not say it against Huddersfield or PNE? Just because it’s our last game? 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 01:00, TomtheOwl95 said:

Who?

Someone who will sign the contract, proclaim his love for the club... and then sod off. Bruce, Big Ron, Harry Catterick. Being senile, or dead, should not preclude anyone from being in the running.

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

you don’t think it’s a daft thing to say? What if we lose when he has been giving it the whole all that matters is 3 points. Obviously he didn’t say we needed the win to stay up but why not say it against Huddersfield or PNE? Just because it’s our last game? 

I think it’s specifically because it’s the last game, so to end a terrible season with a win would be good, to make fans happy and make the players feel better about themselves.

i feel he believes it won’t mean anything to the league table if we win or not - so he’s stated it to the fans that he has demanded a win and expects nothing less, in case some fans think he doesn’t care or is indifferent about getting result or doesn’t have enough passion etc.

Anyway who knows, we won’t win as the team is cr*p and Warnock will do a number on us as usual 

:duntmatter:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

If every manager did the exact same thing as their record suggests all you would need to do is hire a manager who always gets promoted and you would get promoted

Could not agree more seems to work with Bruce and Warnock promoted 8 times each.

8 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I think it’s specifically because it’s the last game, so to end a terrible season with a win would be good, to make fans happy and make the players feel better about themselves.

i feel he believes it won’t mean anything to the league table if we win or not - so he’s stated it to the fans that he has demanded a win and expects nothing less, in case some fans think he doesn’t care or is indifferent about getting result or doesn’t have enough passion etc.

Anyway who knows, we won’t win as the team is cr*p and Warnock will do a number on us as usual 

:duntmatter:

Ha ha bloody Warnock probably can’t wait for the game. Think it’s a dangerous thing  for Monk to say, he’s just opening himself up to more questions and doubt if we lose when he is demanding a win.

Edited by WalthamOwl

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Ha ha bloody Warnock probably can’t wait for the game. Think it’s a dangerous thing  for Monk to say, he’s just opening himself up to more questions and doubt if we lose when he is demanding a win.

Yes it’s a bold move, but I think it is just a self preservation message by him to Chansiri and the fans as if we lose he can now have the attitude of  “I said publicly that I demanded a win so it’s not my fault they didn’t”. 

52 minutes ago, parajack said:

Should have 'lost' Nando in my opinion after he refused to play against Norwich mate,whats he done really since his first season?..and Nando allegedly was offered the same deal as Big Dave,one stayed to help the Club fight,the other....?? How many Millions in wages do you think we will have to spend with 25% attendances only (and a potential Championship salary cap) in season 20/21? Just being realistic,..

I’m not arguing with anyone about the mess we’re in and things we both should’ve and shouldn’t have done. In all fairness all opinions are valid.

My opinion and one I don’t see changing anytime soon is Monk is out of his depth. He’s been out of his depth since Swansea showed him the door. 5 jobs in 6 years should raise questions amongst any group of fans as to whether he’s up to management or not? Let’s not forget he left both Middlesbrough and Birmingham under a cloud? He continues to f**k up here then he’s finished at least as a championship manager?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes it’s a bold move, but I think it is just a self preservation message by him to Chansiri and the fans as if we lose he can now have the attitude of  “I said publicly that I demanded a win so it’s not my fault they didn’t”. 

A bad performance or result is never his fault anyway?

1 hour ago, parajack said:

I would say the same to you,as other Monk critics,show me a post of yours(any) from Xmas OR before,where you thought that...The only place we differ,is i see the issue being the team,and the Players(for a variety of well documented reasons) NOT the manager.

Presumably thats why he is still in post...who knows 

I appreciate your reply. I also take into account Monks precious record.... totally bland. Ive never changed my opinion of Monk...I just feel he brings little passion to rhe team. And im afraid his previous record gives us nthjng to hold onto in Hope.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

I appreciate your reply. I also take into account Monks precious record.... totally bland. Ive never changed my opinion of Monk...I just feel he brings little passion to rhe team. And im afraid his previous record gives us nthjng to hold onto in Hope.

WAWAW? whats its about...having the Clubs best interests at heart,and agreeing to disagree(where appropriate) with good will...all i want is the Club to refocus...Cant do that thinking the problems with the Manager every time....Problems(allegedly of course!) much,MUCH higher than that..

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim said:

IMO he lost Nando because of his magnificent man management skills? It wasn’t a very good idea to question his professionalism in public in the way he did after the Forest game?

This would be the same Nando who wouldn’t get on the bus to Norwich then? How dare anyone question that level of professionalism? 

Totally indifferent to Monk. Can’t see him going anywhere. Would seem odd to let better players run down contracts, allow him to phase them out to turn bring somebody else in to pick up the pieces. 

That being said, ASSUMING we were to start the season on negative points next season, it needs a real us against the world mentality to get out of the mess, with someone in charge that can galvanise players and fans, even if only for a season.  Monk is as bland as it gets, so really can’t seem him being the man for the job. 

• Like 2