Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?

Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Should Garry Monk's contract be extended beyond the end of the 2019-20 season?

• Offer him an extension/new deal
    • Send him packing/on Fernandos bike

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Also I feel for Monk in that he doesn’t have his usual backroom staff to help.

Clotet and Beattie aren’t here and he’s stuck with Bullen and Thompson. Two coaches he’s never worked with before and two coaches who alongside the players need to learn his methods. 

Let's be perfectly honest

If you wanted to put your new manager in the WORST possible scenario we've done exactly that

We've done absolutely nothing as a football club to help him, to give him the tools he needs do to his job, or supported him in his role

If you could write down the very worst hand you could have dealt him it would look like this season at SWFC

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, The Wall said:

I'd have Carlos back in a heartbeat.

If that's not an option, it's clear that either Monk or half the squad need to go.

His interviews for a while now have been along the lines of "I keep telling them, but they're not doing it..."

This sounds like a manager out of ideas, or players that just can't do what he's asking of them

I’m not convinced even a new group of players would listen to him? He just comes across as charmless, arrogant and so far up his own ar$e? He has no set style of play wherever he’s been. He gets jobs because he says the things owners and fans want to hear but there is always precious little evidence on the pitch of what he preaches? His position is totally untenable IMO?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If you wanted to put your new manager in the WORST possible scenario we've done exactly that

We've done absolutely nothing as a football club to help him, to give him the tools he needs do to his job, or supported him in his role

If you could write down the very worst hand you could have dealt him it would look like this season at SWFC

True but I ask why we employed him in the first place? 

He fell out with Clotet so he was never available as he got the gig at Brum. Beattie was put on some weird form of gardening leave so we couldn’t get him in. His tactical analyst Needs is here apparently although not on the official club website.

This was all known to the club before we employed Monk. 

I don't think a binary answer to this is going to give any answers - the fanbase is already polarized over every single thing the club does or is.

I personally believe a lot depends on the next few weeks but one thing I personally believe, and it's my opinion, is that with the squad we have its doubtful we would have finished much higher than we are regardless of manager and to chop and change is going to destabilise an already very rocky club points deductions or not 

• Like 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

True but I ask why we employed him in the first place? 

He fell out with Clotet so he was never available as he got the gig at Brum. Beattie was put on some weird form of gardening leave so we couldn’t get him in. His tactical analyst Needs is here apparently although not on the official club website.

This was all known to the club before we employed Monk. 

True

One for Chansiri that mate

He's the one making that decision then going missing all season

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

If we do end up in League 1, it’ll be Chansiri who took us there not Monk.

Chansiri doesn’t pick the squad, set the formation, motivate the players and decide the tactics. 

A decent manager would have this squad in the top half easy. Steve Bruce with this squad would have us top 6. 

Chansiri will be to blame to a point though as he chose Monk and didn’t sack him in March. 

• Haha 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

True

It was a strange appointment at the time. And we took 2 months to make it.

I feel for Monk he’s been dealt a crap hand. Without your own backroom staff you’re asking a manager to work wonders, particularly with the players we’ve got. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It was a strange appointment at the time. And we took 2 months to make it.

I feel for Monk he’s been dealt a crap hand. Without your own backroom staff you’re asking a manager to work wonders, particularly with the players we’ve got. 

Agree totally

Especially when THIS is the kind of fan expectation facing the club right now...

2 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

A decent manager would have this squad in the top half easy. Steve Bruce with this squad would have us top 6. 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

True

I think this is part of the problem at the moment as the owner is not around. The club needs a figure head, we don’t get any communication from SWFC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Agree totally

Especially when THIS is the kind of fan expectation facing the club right now...

I think Bruce would have done a better job than Monk. Plus he had Clemence and Agnew to help him out. 

But Bruce is no fool, he didn’t believe in the direction the club was heading and was getting his agent to get him the Newcastle job as soon as it was available. He got out before it all went belly up. 

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Can you provide a couple of example of this for us Jim?

You know... so we know you're not just making stuff up?

He did say, did he not that he would build a team we can be proud of? The type of thing that’s convinced some on here he’s worth persevering with.

He says the same things pre and post match but unfortunately for him his words never have a positive effect?

He talks a good game, I’ll give him that but It’s putting all that talk into practice, the essence of being a good manager that he struggles with?

A lot of the blame goes to Chansiri. Apart from Bruce, every manager he has employed has been a cheap left field option with a history of having more clubs than Tiger Woods on their CV's. He has never once shown ambition and tried to poach a manager employed by another club who is successful. Out of work managers are out of work for a reason, they keep failing. 

Monk is just the latest of these failures to be employed by Chansiri. 

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I disagree with this.. ok things aren’t the best but they certainly aren’t the worst.

When Bruce was here we had him, Agnew and Clemence plus a host of other backroom staff including the much coveted Strudwick. Monk has come in, and other than not being able to bring his own assistant in he has the exact same backroom set up that was able to produce top 6 form for the back half of last season, including only 4 defeats in 23 games and numerous clean sheets. 

Playing wise he had the likes of Westwood, Iorfa, Borner, Fox, Hutchinson, Bannan, Luongo, Murphy, Forestieri, Fletcher available to choose from. All of which are competent and proven Championship players. That’s much better than what half the division had available. Yet we’ve yielded 13 defeats from 22 games over the back half of the season.

This narrative that Monk is somehow hard done to and there’s nothing he could have done to prevent the slide is false. Ok we might not be promotion standard but there’s more than enough for a comfortable top half finish there with competent management. He’s underachieved here and therefore doesn’t deserve a contract renewal