Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?

Monk has one game left of his contract. Should we offer him an extension?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Should Garry Monk's contract be extended beyond the end of the 2019-20 season?

• Offer him an extension/new deal
    • Send him packing/on Fernandos bike

It is a difficult one as you would like to think that Monk and the club have a list of players to improve this squad. 2nd part of the season has been horrendous and can’t wait for Wednesday night for this to all be over.

However, look at some teams pushing for playoffs this season, they are not “quality” sides. Take Preston and Millwall for example, they just have a togetherness. Said before, anyone was never going to turn this around quickly.

Not really our choice and DC seems satisfied with him. 

Not being a Monk apologist, form since Christmas and points gained unacceptable, but could argue that considering what he's had available since lockdown and general form, there has been an improvement.

He's also been spot on in terms of transitioning this squad and what is needed. 

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

I still have a degree of sympathy for Monk, there is so much wrong with our club on every level, much of it out of his control. That said, my vote would be to let him go after the last game, primarily because we need to reset on a massive scale.

I'm not sitting in judgement on anyone, but I am very interested to know what positives people have seen in him that has given them a belief that he's the right guy going forward?

1 hour ago, Jamie_W said:

I agree with your first sentence entirely. 

However the second sentence is lunacy. What ‘top manager’ is going to come here exactly, we may even be in League 1 next season. Wednesday are not in a good state and are not a big draw.

Chances are we need to ride it out with Monk and see what we can get out of the summer when the replacements for those we’ve shipped off have been found. Only then, with his staff and his players can he be properly evaluated.

Two great posts, I find myself agreeing with both, although one has Monk let go at the end of the season and the other suggests we ride it out with Monk.  This is such a marginal call for me, given my lack of faith in Chansiri making a decent appointment if Monk was to go.  What both posts have in common is an understanding that this is not all down to Monk, far from it, and it’s not simply a case of ‘anybody but Monk’ when trying to progress as a club.

If he was to go, maybe Mick McCarthy could be our next Big Jack - will a young assistant groomed to take over.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

Don’t trust him to rebuild our team, he’s spent millions at other clubs and done nothing. Not saying we will have millions to spend but just can’t see him bringing in the right players. 

In fairness he took Pablo Hernandez, Pontus Jansen, Keira Roofe, Rob Green and Luke Ayling to Leeds United.

All of which would walk into our team right now.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, striker said:

Not really our choice and DC seems satisfied with him. 

Not being a Monk apologist, form since Christmas and points gained unacceptable, but could argue that considering what he's had available since lockdown and general form, there has been an improvement.

He's also been spot on in terms of transitioning this squad and what is needed. 

"Luton, meanwhile, have just one win from their last 12 outings but know a victory this evening would see the Hatters rise from the foot of the division."

He played Forestieri as a Left wing back and then took him off at half time against the worse team in the league  and we lost 1-0

Regardless of the resources he's had , he has been an absolute calamity.   I have given him the benefit of the doubt , given the circumstances, but if his contract is up on Thursday morning. there is no justification to extend or renew.

Edited by Vaughan

It seems that Nigel Pearson won't be staying on at Watford.

We should pay the money to bring him in with his coaching staff to completely restructure the football side of the club. Give him the control and he'll turñ the club around at all levels.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was a monk supporter but have to admit now I just don't see him being the man to take us forward. 

This should have been a "steady the ship" season, but we've continued to go backwards under him and we need a complete overhaul everywhere, top to bottom. Squad, manager and leadership.

Sean Dyche

Paul Cook

The villa manager 

All would be amazing but I'm not sure any are realistic even if we do stay up.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

I think there are ample reasons to make

a change if a clear replacement was there.

But as there isn’t and as we are now on the eve of a new transfer window and new season. It may be more damaging to make change for the sake of change.

It could be worse to completely mess up this window, find ourselves with the same points tally up to Christmas we have had since Christmas this season, sack him anyway and leave someone else trying to avoid relegation

13 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I'd take Paul Cook and I like to think we could interest him

He seems to know what he's doing.

I don't trust Monk not to fall out with anyone else or lose the dressing room.

I hope he does fall out with this group of players ... the same players that fell out with luhukay.  The same players who dropped tools for carvahal,  these players need weeding out of our club ... back youth and back great loan signings and back smart investment in young talent ...  why are we still debating the manager .. honestly owlstalk does not represent the normal fan anymore . Its getting ridiculous on here.  No offence lol wawaw

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness he took Pablo Hernandez, Pontus Jansen, Keira Roofe, Rob Green and Luke Ayling to Leeds United.

All of which would walk into our team right now.

Yet he is not there to manage them, and when he did they were outside the play off places

so he can spot a good players, but cant manage them correctly

11 minutes ago, the third man said:

It could be worse to completely mess up this window, find ourselves with the same points tally up to Christmas we have had since Christmas this season, sack him anyway and leave someone else trying to avoid relegation

Very true. But it’s whether someone new coming in has had time to assess what is needed. 

I believe Monk has done most of the dirty work for the Owner of the club. He’s cut away most of the deadwood but that’s only half the job. He should now be given a chance to put a new team together alongside the recruitment guys that Bruce brought to the club.

It should be a fair chance though. It should be with a proper coaching setup of his own choosing and a wage structure to keep the clubs P&S nose clean for the future.

If he is to depart it must be with immediate effect Thursday. No more delay and drift that would disadvantage the new manager.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

On balance I would let monk go.  It is a results business and we have been awful for a sustained period since the stoke city game.

I would tackle the future differently.

1.  Bring loovens to the club as a football CEO 

2.  Martin o Neill as manager

3.  Gary Cahill as player head coach 

With a view for 3 to succeed 2 in time. 

Thank god your not in charge 

-What experience does Loovens have to be a CEO? 

-O'neill is well past it

-Cahill has another year at Palace and turns 35 this year, why would we sign a aging player on silly wages 

• Like 2