G Hirst On Loan

25 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Definitely won't have made him a better player

Football is a multi dimentional game, both Physical and Mental.

The young Hirst may well have required a drink to take the edge of the pressure of playing top flight football, but I'm not advocating that the older Hirst, should have needed to have continued this, once confidence, wealth and responsibilty had been earned from his past experience. 

This is where self indulgence curtailed the length of Hirst's carreer

20 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Hirst was nowhere near in the same league as Shearer.. people who say otherwise have blue and white specs on.

Yes Man Utd wanted Hirst, but they also wanted Shearer. Shearer scored 283 top

flight goals and was consistently hitting 20+ a season for many years in his prime and wasn’t even at one of the top clubs in Newcastle after their mid 90s decline. There’s no chance that Hirst would have bettered that if he’d not been injured.

I disagree, well to a point. At the time, I would say Hirst was the more complete striker, offering more than Shearer at that stage. Bottom line was, Shearer was more of a professional, and continued to develop, whereas Hirst never really seemed to take the sport seriously, preferring nights out with his Cudworth mates. It was that approach that led to him having so many fitness issues, in my opinion

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

True. But I'm sure a greater boffin than me will talk about oxygen in blood levels and recovery etc. Smoking tabs and drinking ale I'm sure won't have helped.

Though I do also have another bit of a theory. 

I think as the weight fluctuated his running gait changed. Perhaps he flattened his arches with it. Is that possible? I have no idea. 

When you watch early Hirst footage, of which there's plenty available,  he runs springstepped through the toes and ball. The latter footage, IMO,he thunders through the heel of the boot.

I've jot knowledge of the subject (other than having a keen eye for someone carrying a knock. I've won many a chocolate lime from my seat mates predicting someone who's going to be subbed in advance due to a subtle in game change of gait). But I digress.

I'm sure a flattening foot would pull some other muscles or tendons or some such in a way not designed to be twanged and strained?

Perhaps @scram and @Ellis Rimmermight indulge me of giving their view on my theory?

I've only seen highlights of him so can't comment on his gait much but I think the injuries would causes weight gain which would cause more injuries and those injuries would be more likely to change his gait than flat footedness which if it happens is more of an old age thing

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I think that although there was some disharmony over the transfer to that Belgian team owned by Leicester, it could be a good time to get him back on a season long loan deal with option to purchase. He doesn't get much if any game time at Leicester. Now could be ideal opportunity for us to get him in the first team line up as number 9. It could be good for all parties! 

Anybody else have any thoughts on this? 

So he takes the pìss right, he wants mega dollars, the club says no ( rightly ) he ends up playing for some no mark Belgium side then comes back to his parent club and cant even get a sniff because he's not good enough.

How many years has he wasted out of his promising football career through greed? ...move on from him pal.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I disagree, well to a point. At the time, I would say Hirst was the more complete striker, offering more than Shearer at that stage. Bottom line was, Shearer was more of a professional, and continued to develop, whereas Hirst never really seemed to take the sport seriously, preferring nights out with his Cudworth mates. It was that approach that led to him having so many fitness issues, in my opinion

I agree that Hirst could have made more of himself by being more professional and cutting out the booze, fags and cleaning up his diet. But have a hard time seeing him getting nearly 300 top flight goals even if he did that. It's a feat that only Shearer has achieved and nobody else has really come close yet. Suspect Harry Kane will get there. But either way, Hirst isn't on that level IMHO. Very good player still and a Wednesday legend

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Have to disagree. Said earlier, I believe that Hirst had superior physical attributes. His issue was north of his shoulders IMO.

So he could have got 300 top flight goals then?

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Interesting on the subject of injury recovery.

Worth noting that Shearer also suffered a couple of shocking injuries during his career. 

One does wonder how much of the recovery of the two were down to discipline. 

I've no time for Pleat really  but I do recall him once lamenting (in that-end of-the-tether way that shows on the dial of the frustrated manager)  "David's....erm....refuelling habits"

The refuelling habits comment reminded me of a game at Crystal Palace in the early/mid 90’s..

I was temporarily working in Kent and persuaded a workmate who knew little about football to join me watching Wednesday in a night match.

Hirsty had been injured and was on the subs bench. After half time he started to warm up with a few runs up and down the touch line. My mate turned to me and said ‘Who’s this fat bloke running up and down in front of us’ . Sort of sums up David at the end of his time with Wednesday and why his gaite changed for the worse.

We drew 1-1 that night by the way. Think it was a rare goal by Paul Williams if memory serves.

3 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I think that although there was some disharmony over the transfer to that Belgian team owned by Leicester, it could be a good time to get him back on a season long loan deal with option to purchase. He doesn't get much if any game time at Leicester. Now could be ideal opportunity for us to get him in the first team line up as number 9. It could be good for all parties! 

200.gif

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
3 hours ago, The Wall said:

Yeah, get him and Ched Evans up front

I believe Ched prefers a side or back entrance...

3 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

Not snowballs chance in hell.

Guest freerole
4 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Another George Hirst Megathread.

garymegson

I saw him play a preseason game for Wednesday at the Prozac in Chesterfield, before his Dad allegedlly knocked out one of Carlos's coaching staff...

Did we ever find out who King David chinned?

I went to that one. Lightweight but skillful

4 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

yes, but neil says i've to stop swearing on here.

• Haha 2