G Hirst On Loan

22 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I think that although there was some disharmony over the transfer to that Belgian team owned by Leicester, it could be a good time to get him back on a season long loan deal with option to purchase. He doesn't get much if any game time at Leicester. Now could be ideal opportunity for us to get him in the first team line up as number 9. It could be good for all parties! 

Anybody else have any thoughts on this? 

Is this s joke?!

Great idea, let Wednesday become a feeder or academy club for Leicester City.

They can send us their players who've they've signed for £0 from clubs in the lower leagues who they've blindsided, players who have  no chance of playing at Leicester, we can then develop them while paying the wages thus saving Leicester any further costs, Leicester can sell them on for profit when the players have got some game time.

It'd all be worth it for an Instagram post from the player to say how much they enjoyed their time at a friendly club such as Wednesday.

It sounds amazing.  Let's do it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Young prospect whos scored lots of goals at youth level for a prem club and for England ???

I think more would want someone who's actually done something at first team level to be honest. Sharpening up a youngster for Leicester ,with a decent chance he'd end up going back in January if he had a decent start and going somewhere else, doesn't really appeal to be honest.

33 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I think more would want someone who's actually done something at first team level to be honest. Sharpening up a youngster for Leicester ,with a decent chance he'd end up going back in January if he had a decent start and going somewhere else, doesn't really appeal to be honest.

Does that apply to any inexperienced youngsters at top six Premier League clubs, who might be available for loan?

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Does that apply to any inexperienced youngsters at top six Premier League clubs, who might be available for loan?

I'd say so yeah, I think judging from the things I read and hear people wouldn't want a kid who might be amazing, they want someone who can put the ball in the back of the net now.

Take when we took Wickham the first and second times for example, that was slightly different as he had a reputation already as being decent at this level.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the excitement of signing a young player with a top reputation but I don't think that kind of signing would get the fans as excited as say an Ivan Tony or someone of that profile. (That's not me saying we'd get him, we'd have no chance.)

9 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I'd say so yeah, I think judging from the things I read and hear people wouldn't want a kid who might be amazing, they want someone who can put the ball in the back of the net now.

Take when we took Wickham the first and second times for example, that was slightly different as he had a reputation already as being decent at this level.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the excitement of signing a young player with a top reputation but I don't think that kind of signing would get the fans as excited as say an Ivan Tony or someone of that profile. (That's not me saying we'd get him, we'd have no chance.)

Then again difference in what we would be required to pay would be huge. 

9 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Fair enough, and in the case of Hirst, I wasn’t suggesting a loan. However, because of the level of recruitment needed, especially up front, we will need to supplement that area with a few younger options 

If the plan is to play two strikers in tandem, the perceived wisdom is that you will need 4 or 5 in your squad. Not all of those can be championship ready players, that would be unrealistic. With nothing emerging from the U23s, I think the only forward, is the recently promoted U18 striker, Hagan, we do need some younger back up options. It’s always a bit of a dilemma, the fact that you will be developing someone else’s player, but there can be a mutual benefit. For example, when Wigan borrowed the then unknown pair, James and Robinson, from Chelsea and Everton respectively, they turned out to be the best full backs in the division. Now, James has returned to Chelsea, and is playing regularly, while Robinson, who was allowed to join Wigan for a small fee, is now the subject of multi million pound offers from top flight clubs

Edited by gurujuan

On 04/07/2020 at 13:41, LondonOwl313 said:

Hirst was nowhere near in the same league as Shearer.. people who say otherwise have blue and white specs on.

Yes Man Utd wanted Hirst, but they also wanted Shearer. Shearer scored 283 top

flight goals and was consistently hitting 20+ a season for many years in his prime and wasn’t even at one of the top clubs in Newcastle after their mid 90s decline. There’s no chance that Hirst would have bettered that if he’d not been injured.

Maybe / maybe not we will never ever know will we. Can’t be certain about anything that wasn’t or isn’t allowed to happen.

This thread is still going then?

Now I remember being at this game. The finest Fancy Dan Football under David Pleat. We squander a lead to end up losing 5-2 at home to Derby.

Just watched the highlights because I'm certain David Hirst chinned Carbone in the second half. It may have been Hirsty last game for Wednesday. Unfortunately, Hirst chinning Carbone its not in Derbys highlights of the hame, but...

Patrick Blondeu is.... He was a French international left back before Pleat got hold of him for a couple of million pounds. Blondeu missed out on a World Cup winners medal after signing for Wednesday. (Or Maybe France won the World Cup, because Pleat destroyed Blondeu's career)

Reach is probably a better full back than Blondeu ever was....

Not that Im bitter.

lol

Guest Therealrealist
3 minutes ago, Nut said:

Seem to remember Hirst grabbing hold of Carbone's shirt in front of the south stand and getting booed for it. Don't think he actually chinned him. 

So brave of big hard hirsty..grabbing the smallest bloke on the pitch

No play our youngsters instead and develop then play them in the 1st team. Loan signings are ok, but with no youth development to compliment it we just get left behind. Who is this hirst fellow anyway? Did he play for us? 😀

20 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

No play our youngsters instead and develop then play them in the 1st team. Loan signings are ok, but with no youth development to compliment it we just get left behind. Who is this hirst fellow anyway? Did he play for us? 😀

Not a single forward graduated from the U23s, and only one from the U18s We have no young forwards of our own

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tarn owl said:

We had four forwards this season with the U23s Omar Damba, Jordan O'Brien, Fraser Preston and Preslav Borukov.  All four have been released.