What are you still angrymad about from Sheffield Wednesday's past?

48 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Where to begin....

Messing Gerard Houlier around after he’d accepted the job to the extent that he ended up taking the Liverpool job instead. We went with Danny Wilson instead and just a few seasons later we were in the Championship on the brink of financial oblivion and Liverpool had won the FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup and European Super Cup.

I’m not saying we’d have won those trophies but I firmly believe that we’d still be a top half Premier League side has he come here (which he’s already agreed to do).

Granted we couldn’t have signed the likes of Owen, Fowler, Gerard etc, but McAllister, Smicer, Haman, Henchoz and Hypia we might have done?

Such a HUGE missed opportunity, especially when you look at the fact that we went with Danny Wilson instead. 

Well you learn something everyday 

is that true? I was never aware that Houllier was targeted for the job, I thought they wanted an upcoming boss for the long term and Wilson was always number 1 candidate, I consider myself educated 

44 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

There are so many times over the last 40 years where the wrong choice has been made by the club:

Richards petty sacking of Big Ron

Failure to permanently sign Kenwyne Jones

Allowing Darko Kovacevic to leave too cheaply

Not backing Howard Wilkinson

The purchase of Chris Woods

Allowing West Ham to nick DiCanio for peanuts

Dc's inability to appoint a proper Chief Exec

Not selling Hirst to Man U for 5 Million

The signing of Francis Jeffers

Year after year of rubbish youth development

The sacking of Gary Megson

Allowing Jamie Vardy to leave.

3m wasted on Andy Sinton

The list goes on and on.

Obviously these decisions all look bad in hindsight however if even a few of the above had gone the other way then the club would be in an entirely different position today.

Re Woods and Sinton

englands number 1 goalie for 1 million and Sinton was a great replacement for Harkes and we pipped Arsenal for his signature 

I was happy at the time 

could add the Marshall fiasco to that, Sure we got Antonio but should have made sure of Marshall 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't have many things over the years that made me livid (other than Trevor Francis managing us)

But I'm still angrymad that we gave out those cardboard clappers at Wembley

I think it was those cardboard clappers that lost us the playoff final

Still angrymad about it

What's yours?

the way we handled Derek Dooleys sacking still rankles

• Love 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Oh, and Lee Chapman's disallowed goal against QPR in 1987. It was an absolute mile over the line when the keeper pushed it out, well a good 2 yards anyway, but the ref didn't have a clue and just told them to play on.

Alright we still won 7-1 but I was absolutely livid. 

Haha me too! There’s a pic of the keeper picking the ball almost out of the back of the net. I was Proper angry mad at the time.

8 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Well you learn something everyday 

is that true? I was never aware that Houllier was targeted for the job, I thought they wanted an upcoming boss for the long term and Wilson was always number 1 candidate, I consider myself educated 

Houllier was offered the job and he accepted. The sticking point was he wanted a clause in his contract that he was entitled to a certain amount of money if he got sacked.

Still dont think he would have done much with Wednesday myself.

• Thanks 1

The thread of Wednesday based footy magazine pics from the 90's that @ReginaldD has just started reminded me of this one:

Scouser Ian Nolan put us 1-0 up at Anfield in 1994 in a game we went onto lose 4-1 thanks in part to his defensive prowess. Don't know whether it was immediately after the match but he did an interview with a northwest based media outlet who asked him about the goal and he said he was happy with it but would have preferred to be scoring for Liverpool rather than against them. 

Cheers Ian!

Signing Jordan Rhodes and Sam Winnall in January 2017 when we already had Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Joao, Nuhiu and Matias at the club. And we didn’t sell anyone.

A transfer policy that led to us having to sell the ground back to DC and being in this case with the EFL

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I remember that. The keeper was just stood in the net with the ball. There was a photograph in the next home programme which wasn't at the best angle, but didn't need to be. 

Yeah I remember that photo. But that wasn't even the actual "goal". Chapman's header was "saved" from well behind the line and that picture was taken just after when the keeper was sheepishly standing holding the ball (and still behind the line).  We sat in the North level with the Lep penalty area at that time, and I still remember fans celebrating, some of the players celebrating, then looking at the ref and he hadn't a clue, just shrugged and said get on with it. He probably wasn't that bothered as I think we were 5-1 up at the time but it was a shocking decision. God knows where the linesman was. 

3-1 up at Derby at about 5 o’clock on the Saturday, with all other matches having finished yet still not managing the win.

Similar with being 4-3 up against Udders and seemingly eons into injury time which was not justified anyway, and of course we chuck it away.

These last minute throwaways are a recurring theme, and we never seem to learn.

Edited by Pablo Bonvin
  • Like 1

Getting rid of the bar in the portakabin at the Leppings Lane end of the North Stand that sold actual hand pulled ale.

Granted of the 3 women that usually worked there, literally only one could use the hand pull and the other two had to ask her to pull their orders too, but it was decent beer.

18 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Agreed, but the miss still niggles me - Bright scores and the Woods mistake doesn’t happen.

In theory yes, but if Bright had scored, Arsenal would have been forced to come at us and ‘could have equalised’ thus further changing the complexion of the game. It’s basically all ifs buts and maybes. The fact that Woods error rankles and hurts so much as it was at the end of the game with virtually no time to rectify it. Although iirc we went straight up and got a corner.

• Like 1

Losing my shoes at Anfield in the 80's. First season back we won 2 nil (Varadi I think). A beautiful and expensive pair of white loafers. I contacted the club and never heard a thing.

Some scally probably still has them.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Russian Warship.... Go fxxk yourselves.

1 hour ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Re Woods and Sinton

englands number 1 goalie for 1 million and Sinton was a great replacement for Harkes and we pipped Arsenal for his signature 

I was happy at the time 

could add the Marshall fiasco to that, Sure we got Antonio but should have made sure of Marshall 

Qpr took our 3 million and went and bought Trevor Sinclair for 600k  who was a better player than Sinton. We had a perfectly good keeper in Pressman, there was no need to spend the money on butterfingers  Woods. All hindsight I know but this club has a long history of not being very astute in the transfer market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ernie Moss’s last minute equaliser for Chezzie in a 3-3 in the Big Jack era. Too much to handle for a 12y old whose family had spireites in abundance.

Leon Clarke breaking his foot v Palace. W****r. 
Leon Clarke constantly falling over the ball when he played for us. W****r.

Leon Clarke making JVA and Tom Lees look like donkeys. W****r.

Losing a 3-0 lead to Chelsea in a league cup semi. 

Carlos not preparing the team against United. Unforgivable. Off with his head.