What are you still angrymad about from Sheffield Wednesday's past?

14 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Qpr took our 3 million and went and bought Trevor Sinclair for 600k  who was a better player than Sinton. We had a perfectly good keeper in Pressman, there was no need to spend the money on butterfingers  Woods. All hindsight I know but this club has a long history of not being very astute in the transfer market.

Yep we had Turner and Pressman.  Well covered in that department. 

That's one (of many) things that has angered me.  Francis spent about £3 million in the 91-92 season on Woods, Jemson, Warhurst (as a CB) and Bart-Williams.  Had we spent that £3 million more wisely we could have got even closer and, possibly, even pipped L**ds to the title.

• Like 2

Going 3-1 up against Derby in the 89th minute..Then we know what happened..Only damm Wednesday could do that.  Being kettled onto buses that took 40 minutes to get to the station and seeing fellow fans fighting each other.  I'm surprised I was still interested in following Wednesday after that.

Again Derby but this season.  Surrendered the game before kick off.  So inept it was unbelievable.

Kieran Lee not getting the penalty vs Bolton away when Carlos was in charge.  That ******** ref.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

6 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Whenever i think about the tactics used by Carlos in both play off legs against Huddersfield & his subsequent choice of penalty takers always gets my dander up.

In hindsight I get why everyone gets p@ssed off about it.

But after the first leg I wasn't that unhappy with it being 0-0.  Even a Blade mate said 'you should be happy with that'.

Carlos's relaxed nature had got us that far.  In hindsight I just wish he stamped some authority and influence on the matches, especially the second one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't have many things over the years that made me livid (other than Trevor Francis managing us)

But I'm still angrymad that we gave out those cardboard clappers at Wembley

I think it was those cardboard clappers that lost us the playoff final

Still angrymad about it

What's yours?

Allen and his Stooges dragging our club through the gutter by trying to sue our supporters. That is by far the lowest point in our history. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

But after the first leg I wasn't that unhappy with it being 0-0. 

When we scored in the second leg for a few minutes Huddersfield were there for the taking. We should have gone for the jugular. Then Carlos took Fletcher off. And the penalties.. What an opportunity missed. This is making me angry now.

9 minutes ago, September65 said:

When we scored in the second leg for a few minutes Huddersfield were there for the taking. We should have gone for the jugular. Then Carlos took Fletcher off. And the penalties.. What an opportunity missed. This is making me angry now.

Yea it's great in hindsight.

Carlos's methods had got us there with a brilliant unbeaten run at the end of the season.  In that second half we did surrender a great chance.  It looked like the pressure was weighing on the players and they floundered and crumbled (and looked exhausted).  And taking Fletcher off was a mistake.    They had defended brilliantly for weeks but this didn't work out.  Yes Carlos made a wrong call at the wrong time and managers have to excel at these moments.  But he won't be the first or the last to make a wrong call.

15 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Yes mate, Houlier is actually quoted as saying he’d agreed to take the job but was then messed about by the clubs solicitor over compensation if he were sacked, Houlier stating that the fee he wanted was quite modest by today’s standards. In the end he got fed up of waiting and being messed around and went to Liverpool instead.

Considering the direction the club took after this, it has to be the biggest mistake our club made in decades.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/i-practically-agreed-join-how-18018167.amp

I honestly didn't know that, god.......it makes the situation so much worse, if that's possible......actually, no it's not.

jeez

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

But after the first leg I wasn't that unhappy with it being 0-0.  Even a Blade mate said 'you should be happy with that'.

Carlos's relaxed nature had got us that far.  In hindsight I just wish he stamped some authority and influence on the matches, especially the second one.

If you were a boxer in a world title fight would you spend the first six rounds prancing around like a fairy without throwing a punch because you were saving yourself for the latter stages of the fight, safe in the knowledge there was no chance of your opponent winning... and then he knocks you out? At least throw a few jabs to make it look like you're interested.

Plus, it was bloody Huddersfield (with a toddler in goal to boot), not a combined Barcelona and Real Madrid all time XI. Unless you're seriously overmatched, I've never understood that approach to two leg games. Why would there be any advantage in assuming the away team will somehow be more able to shut up shop in one game than the other?

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

If you were a boxer in a world title fight would you spend the first six rounds prancing around like a fairy without throwing a punch because you were saving yourself for the latter stages of the fight, safe in the knowledge there was no chance of your opponent winning... and then he knocks you out? At least throw a few jabs to make it look like you're interested.

Plus, it was bloody Huddersfield (with a toddler in goal to boot), not a combined Barcelona and Real Madrid all time XI. Unless you're seriously overmatched, I've never understood that approach to two leg games. Why would there be any advantage in assuming the away team will somehow be more able to shut up shop in one game than the other?

But for some reasons, i've never really worked out why, the away team is naturally more negative..Maybe it's the crowd and the surroundings.  Or the players been more comfortable.  I guess Carlos had become more concerned (paranoid) and was trying his best to learn as much about the English Championship 'style' as he could in a way to get promoted.  I feel he was learning on the job. As I said this 'way' had got us there in an incredible run and perhaps at the time he wasn't flexible or smart enough to change it.  In hindsight it was a wrong call.  I can't justify it his decision but I can understand it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Yes Carlos made a wrong call at the wrong time and managers have to excel at these moments.  But he won't be the first or the last to make a wrong call.

Yes, but it was obvious to everyone in the stadium what was happening. You're right about fitness - I recall Pudil in particular struggling - and that was absolutely why we needed to put it to bed in normal time.

13 minutes ago, September65 said:

we needed to put it to bed in normal time.

I don't remember us exactly battering them in the first half.  I just think that the game came down to 'moments', the pressure eventually got to us in the second half and we weren't doing the things that we knew we could.  Both teams looked fkd and the ball was just pinging about.