The official back Monk thread

2 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Not in a million years.

The man is inept, stupid and quite probably guilty as charged in regards to the allegations previous clubs have thrown at him.

Also, and this is a big one - I just do not like him, with his smug arrogant face.

Get the turd out of this club ASAP

Plus one for calling someone a turd

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

Sadly I can’t help but feel that any manager will be up against it at Hillsborough until there is a change at the top of the club and we are able to press the reset button.

Sacking Monk right now would solve nothing.

Do you not think Bruce was heading in the right direction.

Without DC calling it a day then getting rid of Monk solves nothing right now. If we can get to the end of the season without the EFL docking us enough points to go down then I’d call that a successful failure of a season.

In the Summer I hope something drastic happens (like a new owner) or we will just keep going down the same road.

I have sympathy for him.

No-one at the club he can trust.

Possibly no-one at the club to communicate with, maybe he talks to the groundsman.

Not being able to choose who he wants to bring in.

It's just a case of get on with it.

However I came to the conclusion that we like to play direct, I think.

We have no ball winners in the middle of the park. for the second ball.

Fletch got injured and everything fell apart. no way of addressing it, although that could have been down to nobody upstairs.

Sunday morning kids tactics at times,  of sticking as many forwards on as possible.

He sounds fed up and as though he is just binding his time, due to a complete lack of order at this club.

I can imagine the groundsman who Monk has a chat with, locks up on a Saturday then goes on the BBC website to see when he has to open up again.

Back Monk?

Aye he's doing a great job (if you're a pig that has wet dreams about Wednesday getting relegated).

The incompetent t0sser should never have been hired.

3 hours ago, Stoop said:

Imo we need to limp along until the summer then show the fairies, jessies and can’t be arsed mob the door

Which would be a fair enough take on the situation IF we were already mathematically safe, or we were getting palatable results, or we were at least putting in decent performances.

None of the above is happening though.

This season is unravelling and Monk's contribution to this whole farce cannot be discounted.

He's been a terrible appointment and I hope he goes before he can do anymore damage.

Guest LondonOwl313

Think one of the issues is going to be who picks who stays and goes in the summer. If we get rid and bring someone else in they won’t have much time to assess the squad. What’s more likely is he goes and Bullen takes over for a few games then who knows who’s in charge of recruitment then.

If we start from the basis of the objective being promotion and work backwards it shows you how much work needs to be done.

Keepers

Westwood - question marks over his form this season.. form last season was good enough for a promotion team. If Monk stays he’s gone in the summer 

Dawson - not good enough for a promotion team.. would be ok as a number 2

Wildsmith - not good enough for a promotion team 

Defenders

Iorfa and Borner - looked good enough for a promotion team pre Xmas but have been in poor form

Lees - looks like he’s past it now 

Fox and Palmer - not good enough for a promotion team but would be decent squad players

Bates - gone in the summer

Odubajo - not good enough 

Midfield 

Bannan - in poor form but has quality, good enough for a promotion team 

Hutchinson - out of contract and probably gone in the summer.. would be good enough for a promotion squad but question marks over playing in a two man midfield

Pelupessy - garbage

Lee - past it after his injuries 

Reach - would have been good enough last few seasons but been a shadow of himself this season

Luongo - probably good enough to be a squad player but didn’t get anywhere close at QPR to suggest he’s a promotion winner

Harris and Murphy - not good enough for promotion team.. could be squad players and Murphy will go back anyway

Da Cruz - doubt he’ll be back next season

Windass - done ok I think so far, but if he can’t get in Wigan’s team is he going to get in a promotion team

Strikers

Fletcher - good enough for a promotion team

Rhodes and Winnall - both need to go 

Nuhui - bang average and will be released

Wickham - will go back to Palace

Forestieri - good enough for a promotion team on his day but doubt he will accept a reduced contract here. Probably will go to Italy after he’s done here

So I make that players good enough to start most games in a team who’s objective is promotion who Monk will keep:

Iorfa, Borner, Bannan, Reach and Fletcher

with question marks against some of those

players to keep as squad players:

Dawson, Fox, Palmer, Harris, Luongo

Rest either will go for one reason or another, or need to go if the objective is promotion.

Doubt we have the money to bring in the dozen or so players we need to add to that lot to be competitive.. and wouldn’t trust Monk to build the team if we did. The whole thing is going to be a mess next season 

Monk said: “We’re going from one extreme to another at the moment". No we're not, we just happen to have had a couple of half-decent games in amongst a raft of shocking performances. As for Charlton, they were smashed 4-0 at Huddersfield today, thereby putting our 1-0 result into proper perspective.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Do you not think Bruce was heading in the right direction.

I did - after his 18 games in charge, I thought he was doing well, but then I also thought Monk was doing well after his first 18 games...

29 points out of 18 games for Bruce

30 points out of 18 games for Monk

I'm not convinced it's beyond these players to put in the kind of dreadful performances we've seen for any manager, and it may have been only a matter of time before Bruce discovered this for himself.

The Luton game did it for me,  playing  3-5-2 which is probably our best bet with the personnel we have , but we looked like he just decided to do it 30 mins before kick off......…………………..FF at left wing back FFS.

Regardless of all the problems at our club , after 6 months in charge we should be seeing an identity, a style , a plan ,  but we don't...…...we are a shambles.

• Thanks 1

Guest LittleG
8 hours ago, sibon said:

Did you manage to read all of my words?

Or just the ones that you wanted to argue about?

We’ve lost  four managers in roughly the same number of years. Yet the same problems persist.

But, hey, let’s sack another one. That should sort it.

Not arguing just disagreeing with what you wrote, that you would judge Monk when those 4 players have left. He is working under difficult circumstances but I'm sure he knew the full picture before he took the job. My opinion is we have some decent players but he is certainly not getting the best out of them and it can't be the fault of the 4 players you mentioned.