Westwood statement

5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Supporting is a massive stretch.

Seems Westwood's been told he's not going to be picked, no matter what.
Tick another box in Monk's manual of awful management.
Westwood doesn't have much option but to respect the decision, fair play to him for setting the record straight.

Makes you wonder about Hutch too.

Perhaps I chose the wrong word but saying it is nothing personal between him and Monk.
Although if a player is still on the wage bill unless something major happens you should never burn your bridges IMO.
Still have no idea why Westwood and Hutchinson are the two frozen out by a second manager, very bizarre.

Just now, gurujuan said:

No, because there isn’t anything to say All this rubbish about players undermining the manager, is another Owlstalk myth

You don’t know that either way, and his statement doesn’t say anything about that either way. You’re basically creating ‘another Owlstalk myth’ without any substance.

Any manager would know that the two goalkeepers in the pecking order at Hillsborough are Westwood and Dawson. The only deciding factor would be in which order. 

If Westwood has been fit for the last few weeks why hasn’t he been named as a sub on the bench?

In my opinion that’s simply down to 2 things-either because Westwood has refused to sit on the bench or that Monk suddenly said to Westwood ‘you know what, I can’t see you playing for Wednesday again so I’m not going to even put you on the bench’.

I can’t think for a second why Monk would do that? 

My hunch is that Westwood knows he isn’t getting his contract renewed and doesn’t fancy sitting on the bench. 

I can’t for the life of me think that Westwood is available to be selected as a substitute but Monk picks Wildsmith ahead of him.

Its such a shame as I’m a massive fan of Westwood the goalkeeper. I don’t know him as a person, but as a goalkeeper he’s been excellent, even into this season. Yes he made a few errors and it was right to give Dawson a crack, but now that Dawson has had his dicey spell, it’s a shame that Westwood can’t again come back into the side.

31 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

If I recall correctly, one rumour posted a couple of weeks back was that the deal for him to go to Huddersfield was essentially sorted, but then DC decided he wanted more money and pulled the plug.

Going off of everything we know, I can easily believe it 

Shambolic. I read somewhere that Sunderland had a deal lined up for Winnall but again we blew it up after deciding we wanted more money. DC absolutely refuses to be helped.

I understand why he’d publish such a thing, and I totally get that nasty abuse online and rumours are not nice for anyone. 

However It doesn’t really answer anything, and it raises more questions. It also puts Monk under even more pressure - because all I’m seeing now on social media is people throwing abuse at Monk. 

Bizarre. 

Just now, Sonny said:

You don’t know that either way, and his statement doesn’t say anything about that either way. You’re basically creating ‘another Owlstalk myth’ without any substance.

No I’m not, I’m saying there’s no evidence that the manager was being undermined, other than what people have said on here If Westwood’s statement is to be believed, there is no bad feelings between the pair of them

Just now, gurujuan said:

No I’m not, I’m saying there’s no evidence that the manager was being undermined, other than what people have said on here If Westwood’s statement is to be believed, there is no bad feelings between the pair of them

You didn’t say ‘there’s no evidence’, you said ‘it puts it to bed’.

Literally the opposite.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

You didn’t say ‘there’s no evidence’, you said ‘it puts it to bed’.

Literally the opposite.

Well yes, and I’m sure people will continue to make up this sort of stuff, but all you can do is ignore it, or come out with a statement, as Westwood has decided to do

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Perhaps I chose the wrong word but saying it is nothing personal between him and Monk.
Although if a player is still on the wage bill unless something major happens you should never burn your bridges IMO.
Still have no idea why Westwood and Hutchinson are the two frozen out by a second manager, very bizarre.

I don't think Westwood was frozen out by Jos, he just opted to play the younger players, to try and stop them all leaving, like Hirst did. It was about the time of Wildsmiths contract coming to a n end iirc. That's he's frozen out now doesn't make much sense to me, but then not much Monk does makes sense to me..

Hutch I can understand managers shying away from. Carlos understood what Hutch's could and couldn't do and that he wouldn't always be available, and worked with it. But for a manager to look at a player who's ability to play 25+ games a season has pretty much disappeared over the last few years and think that he can't be a mainstay of the side if he's not available to play is kind of fair enough. That said, he was almost ever present the 1st 3 months of this season, and there is some correlation with him dropping out and our form dipping as well. Not even having him on the bench, is bonkers to me, but.. it's Monk..

A statement that leaves more questions than it answers. Clearly Westwood and Monk have had a disagreement - what, we don't know.

Westwood is not included in the squad, is fit, and has a fairly new 2-year contract.

The whole thing is pathetic.

You can only conclude that the Hutchison situation is similar.

Just 7 months ago Westwood was given a new 2 year contract. His 4th contract for Wednesday overall

He must be a proper bad apple for us to keep rewarding him with all these new contracts. 

/sarcasm