Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I was fine with a Nuhiu type as a plan B, but I want my centre forward to offer more than him or Fletcher Someone who can do all those things Joao did yesterday. There are plenty of them we could pick up on the continent I’m sure, for a similar fee to what we paid for Joao. Don’t forget, clubs on the continent have also had to deal with the same Covid related issues, and will have been hit harder as they don’t get anywhere near the tv revenues we get

I agree totally.  We will definitely need a Plan B option though in some games in this division.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Big fan of Hogan. I wanted him on loan in January when most kept telling me he’s not the player he used to be. Then he banged in the goals..

That said, having signed Windass & Kachunga, Hogan is now not the type we need to complement the group.

50 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Hope it’s a big week for signings, really need 1 or 2 more in before the season starts. The way Monk seems to want to play just doesn’t work without a target man up top imo. 

But Monk will get them (hopefully), then places them into a kind of managers quarantine.

Couldnt believe that Kachunga wasn't even on the bench yesterday.  Like i said before, if your club is faced without having a single goalkeeper in the club, and therefore cannot put a recognised formation out, and then sign one that week, you basically would not put a midfielder in goal just because you have a new signing and has only had a week to bed in.   And that is for a competitive match never mind a friendly!

What goes through his brain, I have no idea! When his backroom staff came I hoped that kind of thing was going to stay in the past.  Surely they'd have the balls to say, "hang on gaffa, that's a mistake, playing 7 midfielders and no attacker!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, swinners said:

But Monk will get them (hopefully), then places them into a kind of managers quarantine.

Couldnt believe that Kachunga wasn't even on the bench yesterday.  Like i said before, if your club is faced without having a single goalkeeper in the club, and therefore cannot put a recognised formation out, and then sign one that week, you basically would not put a midfielder in goal just because you have a new signing and has only had a week to bed in.   And that is for a competitive match never mind a friendly!

What goes through his brain, I have no idea! When his backroom staff came I hoped that kind of thing was going to stay in the past.  Surely they'd have the balls to say, "hang on gaffa, that's a mistake, playing 7 midfielders and no attacker!"

Sure monk said unfortunately kachunga can’t be with us today in an interview? Which sounds like he probably has another issue to deal with that the club allowed him to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

We have as much chance of getting Messi as Ampadu. 

Nobody is in for him and he was at ordinary Belgium side last year.

For whatever reason his standing has fallen and he is not hot property of two years ago. Giggs as told him to start playing regular football which he will not get at Chelsea.

Joao was a good player.

First he fell foul to Carlos and his short term objectives where he wasn’t willing to play him enough.

However there was always the conundrum that he needed to play games but when he did he regularly got injured and proved he wasn’t up to the rigours of regular championship football.

Of course he is better than anything we have now .

14 minutes ago, Quist said:

Nobody is in for him and he was at ordinary Belgium side last year.

For whatever reason his standing has fallen and he is not hot property of two years ago. Giggs as told him to start playing regular football which he will not get at Chelsea.

Wasn't he at RB Leipzig last season?

He would and could gather plenty of interest from mid table EPL clubs and higher level clubs across Europe.

Being Exeter dwelling I'd love him to join us but never gonna happen I'm afraid although I will admit his development has stalled

What I would love us to do is identify the Ampadus of the world before they join big clubs where the team you have signed for determines the value rather than the experience

Villa have just signed a player from exeter for example, 16 years old, and he specifically chose then above liverpool and Chelsea as he wanted to play or have at least a more obvious route to the first team.

• Like 1

Guest domSWFC

Maybe looking into it a bit much, but Dion Sanderson commenting on Iorfa's post... Know they are probably mates from his Wolves time, but hopefully that helps bring him here! 

Screenshot_20200906_113342.thumb.jpg.c394b5144cfc5a3f329e72efe9758350.jpg

3 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

Maybe looking into it a bit much, but Dion Sanderson commenting on Iorfa's post... Know they are probably mates from his Wolves time, but hopefully that helps bring him here! 

Likely just the Wolves connection unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

Wasn't he at RB Leipzig last season?

He would and could gather plenty of interest from mid table EPL clubs and higher level clubs across Europe.

Being Exeter dwelling I'd love him to join us but never gonna happen I'm afraid although I will admit his development has stalled

What I would love us to do is identify the Ampadus of the world before they join big clubs where the team you have signed for determines the value rather than the experience

Villa have just signed a player from exeter for example, 16 years old, and he specifically chose then above liverpool and Chelsea as he wanted to play or have at least a more obvious route to the first team.

Yes he was at Leipzig but did not play. Think just had a few minutes on pitch. Their two regular centre halves were both injured and he could not even get on bench for many games so something went wrong.

You are corrrect about identifying young players but we are not top level academy and the good young players are expensive.

Withus having Wales fitness coach thought we may be in with outside chance. Giggs has told him to start playing regular football he will have to go to Championship (or Holland/Belgium) to achieve this. Not many PL sides could guarantee player with few games a first team spot.

1 minute ago, Quist said:

Yes he was at Leipzig but did not play. Think just had a few minutes on pitch. Their two regular centre halves were both injured and he could not even get on bench for many games so something went wrong.

You are corrrect about identifying young players but we are not top level academy and the good young players are expensive.

Withus having Wales fitness coach thought we may be in with outside chance. Giggs has told him to start playing regular football he will have to go to Championship (or Holland/Belgium) to achieve this. Not many PL sides could guarantee player with few games a first team spot.

Think my point was he was at a champions league team not a team in Belgium although I do agree about the minutes he has played I can still see a Brighton, Burnley, Southampton coming in for him unfortunately.

In terms of young players I do agree that, with our budget, it is going to be difficult but I also hope signing the likes of FDB is the route we will take

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

No I’m not, and I think we got a fair price for him. What I don’t want us to do though, is make the same mistakes again, by opting for a traditional, but more limited target man. Armed with our new, comfortable on the ball midfield, let’s look for a Joao type of player, someone who opens up more avenues towards scoring a goal. Constantly aiming high balls for a strikers head and hoping for knock downs is too limiting for the modern game

Sometimes cultured strikers like Joao can’t handle the more robust approach so ideally we get a bit of both in. We are going to be scrapping all season and need to operate in the mini league at the bottom where a bit of sh17housery does the trick. Steve Howard helped keep us up with that 

1 hour ago, domSWFC said:

Could be. Can't see Dion Sanderson liking or commenting on any previous post. Also they're 5 years apart in age so don't know how 'well' they'd know each other.