Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Am I missing something with Joao? He’s scored a few in preseason and against lower league opposition? Awesome! Fingers crossed there’s some clauses he’ll trigger. But he’s never been consistent here in UK, never held down a place in any team, never lead the line for prolonged period doing the graft needed and more importantly never scored enough goals at this level. 

I hope he goes on to have a great season as I said, there are likely clauses he’ll trigger. But would I take him back tomorrow, even at half we had received for him as our focal point, no way! 

Not got what it takes for long, hard, gritty season that is championship football. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Could be. Can't see Dion Sanderson liking or commenting on any previous post. Also they're 5 years apart in age so don't know how 'well' they'd know each other. 

Wonder how Sanderson would fit into our first team plans.  He’s a right back or centre back, so might mean we change to a back 4? 

7 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Am I missing something with Joao? He’s scored a few in preseason and against lower league opposition? Awesome! Fingers crossed there’s some clauses he’ll trigger. But he’s never been consistent here in UK, never held down a place in any team, never lead the line for prolonged period doing the graft needed and more importantly never scored enough goals at this level. 

I hope he goes on to have a great season as I said, there are likely clauses he’ll trigger. But would I take him back tomorrow, even at half we had received for him as our focal point, no way! 

Not got what it takes for long, hard, gritty season that is championship football. 

Joao is a talented and good striker at this level but will never lead the line or make a consistently good impact over a full season. He seems best for 20-25 games and has a strong impact off the bench. He does have some of the raw attributes many strikers would love but just can't produce it often enough. That's why we did do really good business by selling him to be honest. It's an expensive option we could no longer afford on our bench. Is he better than what we have? Yes, but not often enough. It's too much having a player like that on the roster that can only do half a season.

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
43 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Wonder how Sanderson would fit into our first team plans.  He’s a right back or centre back, so might mean we change to a back 4? 

Can play wing back supposedly 

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Spot on Phil, yes it’s all been pre season, and lower league opposition, but which of our players looked like doing that yesterday. The concern, or points you make about him are valid, and he has yet to prove his critics wrong, but even a Joao firing on one cylinder is better than anything we have, or had. That’s my point, bring in better than Joao, and I can see we are improving, but all the while we keep signing mediocre strikers, we will continue to plummet 

4 hours ago, Quist said:

Ethan Ampadu from Chelsea wasall the rage two seasons ago spent last year on loan in Belgium. If we are looking for ball playing defender he may fit the bill. We helped them sell Hector and have done well for Newcastle with Murphy so maybe we could get him. Not seen him linked with any 

Edited by King_Monkey
Comment

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Spot on Phil, yes it’s all been pre season, and lower league opposition, but which of our players looked like doing that yesterday. The concern, or points you make about him are valid, and he has yet to prove his critics wrong, but even a Joao firing on one cylinder is better than anything we have, or had. That’s my point, bring in better than Joao, and I can see we are improving, but all the while we keep signing mediocre strikers, we will continue to plummet 

The key is to bring in someone who has similar attributes but yet to prove self as an option. Not as the main striker but as an option who can develop. I liked idea of Da Cruz as his attributes were good, application not so good.

To lead the line though, do the majority of games as our focal point I think you need a less exciting more pragmatic option - especially this season. 

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

The key is to bring in someone who has similar attributes but yet to prove self as an option. Not as the main striker but as an option who can develop. I liked idea of Da Cruz as his attributes were good, application not so good.

To lead the line though, do the majority of games as our focal point I think you need a less exciting more pragmatic option - especially this season. 

You are probably right, but I’d keep the pragmatic (more limited) player, as an option from the bench. Go with the player with more attributes, as Brentford would always do, and try to hone those skills. Not just for the player himself, but because it gives us different avenues to scoring a goal. We have a top notch midfield, but if all they are encouraged to do is, funnel it out wide, or knock it long looking for the head of some Fletcher type striker, then what’s the point?

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

You are probably right, but I’d keep the pragmatic (more limited) player, as an option from the bench. Go with the player with more attributes, as Brentford would always do, and try to hone those skills. Not just for the player himself, but because it gives us different avenues to scoring a goal. We have a top notch midfield, but if all they are encouraged to do is, funnel it out wide, or knock it long looking for the head of some Fletcher type striker, then what’s the point?

If we were starting this season on 0 I think you’d be spot on. But knowing it’s a scrap this year from -12 I think we need a slightly more boring approach. That said, if there’s a hard working, exciting target man out there I’d love us to sign him. 

Watching wales again, think we’ve missed the boat with Moore. He’d score loads with Brown, Bannan and Penney putting balls into him. 

13 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

If we were starting this season on 0 I think you’d be spot on. But knowing it’s a scrap this year from -12 I think we need a slightly more boring approach. That said, if there’s a hard working, exciting target man out there I’d love us to sign him. 

Watching wales again, think we’ve missed the boat with Moore. He’d score loads with Brown, Bannan and Penney putting balls into him. 

I certainly don’t bemoan our failure to sign Moore, but that’s just my opinion. The problem I have with taking this season in isolation, and gathering a bunch of players to grind out enough points to secure 4th bottom, is one that there are no guarantees, and two, that we will again acquire a bunch of limited players who we will then be stuck with. Of course I want us to secure our place in the division, but I’d like us to aim for more than that. We need to put a platform in place to take us forward, and I believe our recruitment should be aimed at doing that, rather than simply survival

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Can play wing back supposedly 

Ah okay so we’d be looking at the below then,  strikers and goalkeepers chosen TBC

Striker    Striker 

Brown
         Bannan    Luongo 

Penney                      Sanderson 

Borner  Dunkley  Iorfa

GK 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Ah okay so we’d be looking at the below then,  strikers and goalkeepers chosen TBC

Striker    Striker 

Brown
         Bannan    Luongo 

Penney                      Sanderson 

Borner  Dunkley  Iorfa

GK 

Are we even after a keeper? Think Sanderson, and maybe Clarke-Salter may come in as late window loans. Not sure Monk is convinced by Borner. He looked the part early on, when paired with Iorfa, but in a three, he’s never convinced

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Are we even after a keeper? Think Sanderson, and maybe Clarke-Salter may come in as late window loans. Not sure Monk is convinced by Borner. He looked the part early on, when paired with Iorfa, but in a three, he’s never convinced

No we are sticking with Dawson and wildsmith apparantly, but I justput GK, as when you put Wildsmith, people reply to say it should be Dawson. And when you put Dawson, people reply to say it should be Wildsmith. So I was keeping clear of controversy 

I agree that Borner seems to be losing a bit of form and his position might be under threat soon. 

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Borner looked very shaky yesterday. 

• Like 2