Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

45 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

I fail to see the point in looking for loan players to fit a system of 3 at the back when, most of our centre halves are more comfortable in a 2.

Maybe they should switch on and learn how to play in a 3 then 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Are we even after a keeper? Think Sanderson, and maybe Clarke-Salter may come in as late window loans. Not sure Monk is convinced by Borner. He looked the part early on, when paired with Iorfa, but in a three, he’s never convinced

I could see Borner being a target for clubs back in Germany and I would be surprised if he didn’t return there before his contract ends?

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I certainly don’t bemoan our failure to sign Moore, but that’s just my opinion. The problem I have with taking this season in isolation, and gathering a bunch of players to grind out enough points to secure 4th bottom, is one that there are no guarantees, and two, that we will again acquire a bunch of limited players who we will then be stuck with. Of course I want us to secure our place in the division, but I’d like us to aim for more than that. We need to put a platform in place to take us forward, and I believe our recruitment should be aimed at doing that, rather than simply survival

It looks like we’ve been offering shorter contracts on lower wages though and players are being recruited for “the mission”.

Nixon alluded to this a fortnight ago.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I could see Borner being a target for clubs back in Germany and I would be surprised if he didn’t return there before his contract ends?

I wouldn't say that I'd be surprised if he didn't return, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did...follow? :biggrin:

• Haha 2

After watching Van Aken against Leicester, and Borner yesterday, when Harris plays LWB, that left centre half position is a real potential problem.

Neither Borner nor Van Aken are mobile or quicker enough to cover the ground in that position, with such an attacking player in front of them.

The rumours linking us with Clarke-Salter, make a lot of sense. He's a quick, mobile centre half who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Bring in a player with those attributes, and it'll do wonders for our balance...both offensively (giving us the luxury to be more adventurous down that left hand side) and defensively (ably covering the space vacated by the attacking LWB).

Oh, and Jutkiewiez would be an ideal signing in this system. He's aerially formidable but mobile enough to run the channels. He'd be a perfect foil for the likes of Windass or Kachunga. If he's available, I'll be stunned if we weren't in for him, given how well he did under Monk previously.

• Like 6

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Borner looked very shaky yesterday. 

He has looked shaky for a while. I thought he was going to become a real player when he first came but at the moment he looks like a League one defender. I fear his place will be the one taken by Dunkley.

Guest wilyfox

Been saying for months Borner doesn’t have the legs to play that role. I still think we’re trying to recruit for that position, maybe Clarke-Salter if Chelsea let him out again.

5 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

Think my point was he was at a champions league team not a team in Belgium although I do agree about the minutes he has played I can still see a Brighton, Burnley, Southampton coming in for him unfortunately.

In terms of young players I do agree that, with our budget, it is going to be difficult but I also hope signing the likes of FDB is the route we will take

Yes I see where you are coming from but only played around 30 competative matches including internationals and some of them were as substitute for only a few minutes. looking at him I think he is either a defensive midfield player or part of a 3 man defence. That is why I thought about us it was more in hope than anything else. 

Yesterday Lees and Borner played on top of each other and went for same ball on number of occasions. I can see why he is after Sanderson and Clarke-Salter. Unfortunately neither stand out in memory although have watched game with them playing. I suspect fair bit of activity in transfer market before end of window.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quist said:

Yes I see where you are coming from but only played around 30 competative matches including internationals and some of them were as substitute for only a few minutes. looking at him I think he is either a defensive midfield player or part of a 3 man defence. That is why I thought about us it was more in hope than anything else. 

Yesterday Lees and Borner played on top of each other and went for same ball on number of occasions. I can see why he is after Sanderson and Clarke-Salter. Unfortunately neither stand out in memory although have watched game with them playing. I suspect fair bit of activity in transfer market before end of window.

I think Ampadu is better suited as a defensive midfield (just my opinion having seen him for exeter) but whilst he may be out of our reach, he has the attributes we should be looking for 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Been saying for months Borner doesn’t have the legs to play that role. I still think we’re trying to recruit for that position, maybe Clarke-Salter if Chelsea let him out again.

Clarke-Salter seems the obvious choice given he'll almost certainly be heading out on loan again.

It'll be interesting to see if we reignite our interest in Stuart Findlay at Kilmarnock again. Had a decent rejected on deadline day last season, but he's another young, left footed centre half with the mobility and technical ability to play the wide centre back role. 

Also, Jordy De Wijs at Hull. Had a superb first half to the campaign last season, and was appointed captain following the COVID break. However, he's been stripped of the captaincy for the upcoming season, and his future looks pretty uncertain. He's another left sided centre half, who had been a regular in Hull's defensive line for the past two season, with leadership qualities, and still at a good age (25).

There's options out there. It'll be interesting to see if it's an area we end up strengthening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

Maybe they should switch on and learn how to play in a 3 then 

Or maybe we should play to our players strengths instead of putting them under pressure to perform in a position they’re not comfortable in. A central defender as part of a 2 is an entirely different position to that of a 3. Especially when you factor in the players in the wing back roles aren’t essentially natural wing backs. 

2 minutes ago, djorkaeff said:

Could I suggest we start signing players from the bottom of the list this time. Having taken no 1 last time - no. 200 maybe a better option 

We'd may as well move the former no.200 on before we do that though.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Are we even after a keeper? Think Sanderson, and maybe Clarke-Salter may come in as late window loans. Not sure Monk is convinced by Borner. He looked the part early on, when paired with Iorfa, but in a three, he’s never convinced

I'm not convinced about Borner, think we need a better left sided centre back and try to get Van Aken and Lees moved on.