Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

14 minutes ago, LoanRanger said:

Think he's a snip at that price but both the fee and wages could be a problem. I know we had £1m set aside for Leko initially, but then again, Windass' fee might only have been used because Leko failed.

Murphy or Jutkiewicz would be absolutely incredible signings anyway.

James Collins is the man we need to front and with Brown in loan could well develop into a great goal scored for us.

I would still have a look at Maddison, would be better than what we currently have on the right. No fee and minimal wages.

21 minutes ago, LoanRanger said:

Think he's a snip at that price but both the fee and wages could be a problem. I know we had £1m set aside for Leko initially, but then again, Windass' fee might only have been used because Leko failed.

Murphy or Jutkiewicz would be absolutely incredible signings anyway.

Jutkiewicz would be a smart signing. He's experienced at this level and would be an ideal replacement for Fletcher, plus he seems more mobile too.

I feel, that the main striker we bring in, needs to not only be able to play up top on his own but also to be effective in a partnership or a front three too, and to have a bit of athleticism or dynamism. The way we seem to be setting up, to get the most out of our creative players, they need runners and players to get onto the end of things. Adaptable ans dynamic attackers would stretch the opposition and would allow our creative players to play them in and support them. 

Murphy for me would be a important signing, as I feel he was very effective for us last season. He suits how we play, and it's significant that we bring him back or bring in someone similar that can replicate his threat and end product. 

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I accept that we need at least another option in the striking department.

But all this doom and gloom, and almost acceptance that we simply won't be able to win a game until we sign another striker, is ridiculous.

Having a goalscorer is often a luxury...it's not a necessity. 

Many teams have been promoted from this league, without relying on a particularly goalscorer. Loads of teams, every single season, compete with that luxury.

First and foremost, what needs to happen with this team, is they need to start been able to believe they can keep clean sheets. That hasn't happened for a long time, and that's why we've become so reliant on goalscorers.

In the 2014-15 season, we finished 19 points clear of the relegation zone (surpassing our primary aim for this season) with a top goalscorer with EIGHT goals (Maguire and Nuhiu). In the 2016-17 season, when we finished with a huge 81 points, our top goalscorer scored 12 goals (Forestieri) and only Fletcher also made double figures.

We weren't successful in those season because of our ability to score goals...but because we kept clean sheets...and a lot of them. If we can become an organised unit, then the amount of goals we'll be required to score to achieve our goals, will be considerably less. 

Indeed but the only difference was we had a great defence not one shipping two goals a game.

If we can tighten up at the back, We don't need as many goals but if we are conceding 2 a game, as we average from Jan to the end of the season with we need to score at least 2 to get anything from the game a feat we managed just 14 times out of 46 games last season.

Share the goals around - Fletch, Murphy, Nuihu got 29 between then the next highest player got just 3. We currently don't have any goals from midfield or defence.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Ah okay so we’d be looking at the below then,  strikers and goalkeepers chosen TBC

Striker    Striker 

Brown
         Bannan    Luongo 

Penney                      Sanderson 

Borner  Dunkley  Iorfa

GK 

That’s basically what I was thinking but I’d play Kachunga alongside ANother up front.

Jesus, where has all this Jutkiewicz love come from? Is he even for sale? He's Birmingham's top scorer! We're not going to spend millions on a 31 year old surely?

It's like that summer we left the 9 shirt vacant, got linked with Billy Sharpe and Rasiak - who were never gonna come - and ended up with Franny Jeffers.

3 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Jesus, where has all this Jutkiewicz love come from? Is he even for sale? He's Birmingham's top scorer! We're not going to spend millions on a 31 year old surely?

It's like that summer we left the 9 shirt vacant, got linked with Billy Sharpe and Rasiak - who were never gonna come - and ended up with Franny Jeffers.

In this instance we might re sign Nuhiu for free the target man role rather than pay 1-2m for a james Collins or Jukiewicz who are all around the same age

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

In this instance we might re sign Nuhiu for free the target man role rather than pay 1-2m for a james Collins or Jukiewicz who are all around the same age

but Jutkiewicz does things a lot better than Nuhiu especially scoring goals! 14 & 15 goals scored in the last 2 seasons. 

• Like 1

Guest domSWFC

I think we'll definitely be after a decent striker, well that's what I'm hoping we left the #9 free for. 

I'd take Jutkiewicz but I'd also take Martin. 

Guest wilyfox
28 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

I think we'll definitely be after a decent striker, well that's what I'm hoping we left the #9 free for. 

I'd take Jutkiewicz but I'd also take Martin. 

Not sure how Bristol City would feel about that.

*beaten to it ^

Edited by wilyfox

8 hours ago, room0035 said:

Both midfielders what's your point.

Kachunga in the last 3 season has played 81% of his games right wing, and we new from when Windass was here last he's an attack minded midfielder.

Both been signed to score goals they are strikers but not center forwards

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vulture_squadron said:

Birmingham will not sell us their top scorer for 1 or 2 million.

He was in the last year of his contract and Forest had supposedly bid around 1.5m. Not sure what happened with that

But even so it makes re signing Nuhiu the sound financial choice 

Edited by Bluesteel

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

but Jutkiewicz does things a lot better than Nuhiu especially scoring goals! 14 & 15 goals scored in the last 2 seasons. 

He does but perhaps we can’t get Jukiewicz for an affordable price. I know who I’d rather have but we want 3/4 more players on a shoestring 

Nuhiu and Jukiewicz are very similar players 

Edited by Bluesteel

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not sure Jukiewicz is sufficient an upgrade on Nuhiu from the bench, and even less convinced about him as a starter

He’s definitely not a multimillion pound upgrade or worth double / treble the salary.