Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

His goals yesterday were excellent, a diving header, a one on one with the keeper, and a neat turn and swivel in the box

He had been scoring some excellent ones for us too which is why we got 7m for him.  If it wasn’t for the ridiculous P&S rules we could’ve kept him 

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He had been scoring some excellent ones for us too which is why we got 7m for him.  If it wasn’t for the ridiculous P&S rules we could’ve kept him 

Have a look at his hat trick yesterday, I just googled it Just what we are missing, especially as we now have the players who can play the ball to feet

Edited by gurujuan

Bizarrely Joao is the sort of striker we could do with now. Once again he’s a player we didn’t manage or use as well as we might have done. 

Lukuhay got the best out of him. In fact he forged a partnership between him and Nuhiu that was successful and then for some reason ditched it early on in his second season here. If he hadn’t things might be a lot different to what they are now? 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

There was almost zero chance of Joao 'developing' properly under the SWFC set up during his time here. Who has? Bannan is probably the only one.

For the times he was given runs in the side he absolutely bossed it, despite being at a complete basket case of a club when it comes to multiple managers, what seemed like zero proper coaching and huge amount of upheaval going on around him.

His sale was forced on us through our own inept money management. Ideally, we wouldn't have let him go at all - barring for huge money.

I think we're coming at it from different angles but ultimately agreeing with each other. He wasn't properly developed or looked after, and we allowed much of his potential to go untapped. We've hardly been a hotbed for player development in recent years...actually, make that the last few decades!

By the time we sold him last summer, it was probably the right call given the circumstances we'd created thanks to a series of terrible decisions over several years, but in an ideal world he'd not have been the player to make way.

I imagine Monk would quite like to have him as part of the current squad.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think we're coming at it from different angles but ultimately agreeing with each other. He wasn't properly developed or looked after, and we allowed much of his potential to go untapped. We've hardly been a hotbed for player development in recent years...actually, make that the last few decades!

By the time we sold him last summer, it was probably the right call given the circumstances we'd created thanks to a series of terrible decisions over several years, but in an ideal world he'd not have been the player to make way.

I imagine Monk would quite like to have him as part of the current squad.

I hope that would be Monk’s take on it, but I suspect he’d opt for the more static type of target man. Really hope that isn’t the case, especially as we now have one of the most creative midfields we’ve had in recent times

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Have a look at his hat trick yesterday, I just googled it Just what we are missing, especially as we now have the players who can play the ball to feet

I saw it. But there’s no point beating ourselves up about it. 

We just need to get a centre forward in now

Edited by Bluesteel

Ethan Ampadu from Chelsea wasall the rage two seasons ago spent last year on loan in Belgium. If we are looking for ball playing defender he may fit the bill. We helped them sell Hector and have done well for Newcastle with Murphy so maybe we could get him. Not seen him linked with any one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quist said:

Ethan Ampadu from Chelsea wasall the rage two seasons ago spent last year on loan in Belgium. If we are looking for ball playing defender he may fit the bill. We helped them sell Hector and have done well for Newcastle with Murphy so maybe we could get him. Not seen him linked with any one.

We have as much chance of getting Messi as Ampadu. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I saw it. But there’s no point beating ourselves up about it. 

We just need to get a centre forward in now

No I’m not, and I think we got a fair price for him. What I don’t want us to do though, is make the same mistakes again, by opting for a traditional, but more limited target man. Armed with our new, comfortable on the ball midfield, let’s look for a Joao type of player, someone who opens up more avenues towards scoring a goal. Constantly aiming high balls for a strikers head and hoping for knock downs is too limiting for the modern game

Edited by gurujuan

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No I’m not, and I think we got a fair price for him. What I don’t want us to do though, is make the same mistakes again, by opting for a traditional, but more limited target man. Armed with our new, comfortable on the ball midfield, let’s look for a Joao type of player, someone who opens up more avenues towards scoring a goal. Constantly aiming high balls for a strikers head and hoping for knock downs is too limiting for the modern game

I think we need one of each type.

• Like 1

Just now, sonofbert2 said:

I think we need one of each type.

I was fine with a Nuhiu type as a plan B, but I want my centre forward to offer more than him or Fletcher Someone who can do all those things Joao did yesterday. There are plenty of them we could pick up on the continent I’m sure, for a similar fee to what we paid for Joao. Don’t forget, clubs on the continent have also had to deal with the same Covid related issues, and will have been hit harder as they don’t get anywhere near the tv revenues we get