Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

We really need to stop leeching quality, it’s time to put back. This is a huge window for us, having cleared the decks. I’m happy enough with Dunkley, he adds a bit of steel to our back line options, and we need to replicate that with a new defensive midfielder. Beyond that, we need to up the quality in our attacking areas.

That's the problem I reckon. We haven't got the money to spend. 

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

That's the problem I reckon. We haven't got the money to spend. 

I don’t think DC has any intentions of spending big again,  but I do hope he finds a few quid for a couple of permanent signings 

Just now, Royal_D said:

I don’t think DC has any intentions of spending big again,  but I do hope he finds a few quid for a couple of permanent signings 

I think the room, or lack of, with FFP determines our transfer strategy. Going for 3 strikers in this market, with the time left, in a post covid world. With FFP. 

Be prepared to be underwhelmed. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I like the look of Walker but not sure about Dykes. To be honest I’m not sure what he has done to warrant a big move? 

He’s been scoring a lot over the last 2/3 seasons and will probably get an Australian call up. To be fair it’s hard to judge from Scotland as some players score a lot of goals and fail elsewhere. But I think if we are looking for potential, at a reasonable price (assuming he can be purchased for one) he’s got the attributes in terms of height, aggression, quite strong in the air and no slouch. Quite similar to George Hirst in build. 

We’ve seen others like Wood have slower starts to their career and then find their feet. But he would need some time rather than have the expectation of being the main man. He did supposedly give Rangers and Celtic problems at the back which is rare. 

Cosgrove is another one doing well north of the border. With similar attributes.

A safer bet would be someone like Chris Martin but they would be expensive in terms of wages with no resale value. Assume we signed him on 15k a week for a year thats 750k gone. But he might score the key goals. If we hit lucky with a player like Dykes or Cosgrove they might cost 1.5m now and 450k a year in wages but as seen with the likes of  Hugill who Preston brought on, that could earn us 7/8m in a year or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

I wouldn’t think we would get a striker of renown in this summer, they cost money and usually lots of it. A Gregory or Jutkiewicz type signing will be the best we can hope for along side a couple of young unknown lower league or prem loans trying to make their name. To be honest that’s ok with me as long as they add dimension to our play and of course know where the net is. Who knows we might strike lucky on a 20 goal a season man it’s been a while.

That’s so friggin depressing, we need to be more creative with our thinking. Signing players that struggling clubs like Wigan and Stoke don’t want is only going to take us in one direction

Never mind the squad size/dynamics.

Start with 11 who aren't crocks.. crybabies..or egomaniacs then the backups will sort themselves out.

It's fun to play the transfer game but the truth is that we need a first team who want to go to war this season.

If we stay up then perhaps the planning will come into play.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Never mind the squad size/dynamics.

Start with 11 who aren't crocks.. crybabies..or egomaniacs then the backups will sort themselves out.

It's fun to play the transfer game but the truth is that we need a first team who want to go to war this season.

If we stay up then perhaps the planning will come into play.

it doesn’t matter how we play next season, would take 1v0 wins in as many games as possible. 

24 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I think the room, or lack of, with FFP determines our transfer strategy. Going for 3 strikers in this market, with the time left, in a post covid world. With FFP. 

Be prepared to be underwhelmed. 

That’s why I thought Kachunga would be a decent option. The longer the wait for a forward goes on, the more chance Charles Hagan has of getting an opportunity which maybe not be such a bad thing TBH?

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

it doesn’t matter how we play next season, would take 1v0 wins in as many games as possible. 

Monk has addressed the most urgent concern. Leaking goals in an attacking system.

Sell Lees for what we can get.

Make Bannon an attacking mid or out him... he's no good next to the cat.

Tell Reach it's now or never and Palmer to get his fitness sorted.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

That’s so friggin depressing, we need to be more creative with our thinking. Signing players that struggling clubs like Wigan and Stoke don’t want is only going to take us in one direction

I know man City dint win league this year but  wouldn't say they are struggling. And Wigan  Players  actually finished higher than we did. I actually think there is a couple more players we could cherry pick from Wigan, yes it's taking advantage of there situation but we have had it done to us in the past. 

1 minute ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

I know man City dint win league this year but  wouldn't say they are struggling. And Wigan  Players  actually finished higher than we did. I actually think there is a couple more players we could cherry pick from Wigan, yes it's taking advantage of there situation but we have had it done to us in the past. 

It’s not that I have an issue with, there are players I would take from both Stoke and Wigan, but it would be their better players. For example, Dunkley was one of their better players, who they would probably liked to have kept, so signing him is a good deal. On the other hand, Windass who can’t get in their side, is not someone I feel we should be chasing. Ditto Gregory.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s not that I have an issue with, there are players I would take from both Stoke and Wigan, but it would be their better players. For example, Dunkley was one of their better players, who they would probably liked to have kept, so signing him is a good deal. On the other hand, Windass who can’t get in their side, is not someone I feel we should be chasing. Ditto Gregory.

Kind of agree with this, Windass certainly offers work rate, dynamism and energy but still question his quality. He missed plenty of chances at tail end of season which if others like Nuhiu, Rhodes etc missed we’d have slated him. But because he offers other aspects I guess it’s forgotten/excused. 

With 3/4 forward places to full, I don’t mind a Windass or Kachunga but need to mix in some goals and areal prowess to go with that. 

Im still hopeful Norwich come in for Rhodes and that frees up some salary for a quality forward. 

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Kind of agree with this, Windass certainly offers work rate, dynamism and energy but still question his quality. He missed plenty of chances at tail end of season which if others like Nuhiu, Rhodes etc missed we’d have slated him. But because he offers other aspects I guess it’s forgotten/excused. 

With 3/4 forward places to full, I don’t mind a Windass or Kachunga but need to mix in some goals and areal prowess to go with that. 

Im still hopeful Norwich come in for Rhodes and that frees up some salary for a quality forward. 

Can we sign some forwards first before you sell the last one we have? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

One thing I like about Gregory is he doesnt seem to ever be injured, which is a factor we have to consider in our signings this summer. That said, i didnt realise he was as old as he is at 31. That makes him the same age as Jutkiewicz and Chris Martin, who are a little more proven. We will need 1 experienced striker though

2 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Can we sign some forwards first before you sell the last one we have? :ph34r:

Fair point! But freeing up his salary may be the enabler to signing the replacements. 

Just had a thought that what if our Owlstalk Write-offs all play next year and have magnificent seasons; Westwood, Lees, Reach, Rhodes.... That’s got to be close to 25% of our entire salary in just 4 players who most have written off.