Monk no better than Jos

On 27/11/2019 at 22:40, Eaton_Swfc said:

There, I've said it. 

Far far far too pedestrian, backwards negative football. No movement on the odd occasions we do venture forward, and wrong formation is isolating the only decent striker we have. 

Very very poor. I give it 12 months tops. 

Very good...

Now where were we?

I have to agree I think we are seeing Garry's monks ability as a manager now. 

The football is the worst I've seen in a long while. There is fluidity no style no drive it is literally hoof and hope. 

Subs dont change anything and the wrong players are persisted with. 

Garry Monk talks extremely well, he is articulate and seems to know what he is talking about. 

However he doesn't back this up with actual action! 

Garry Monk talks a good game,

I would give him until the end of the season and if we arent in the playoffs or at least very very close he has failed and should go. 

We have a huge opportunity in the summer to totally overhaul this dreadful overpaid squad  

Do I trust garry monk to be in charge of that over haul? Absolutely not. 

3 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

The football is the worst I've seen in a long while. There is fluidity no style no drive it is literally hoof and hope. 

Garry Monk talks extremely well, he is articulate and seems to know what he is talking about. 

I would give him until the end of the season and if we arent in the playoffs or at least very very close he has failed and should go. 

We have a huge opportunity in the summer to totally overhaul this dreadful overpaid squad  

You call it a dreadful squad so I’m not really sure on what basis you can say Monk doesn’t deserve a crack at sorting it out? For me this is a mid table side and it’s looking increasingly like that’s where we will finish unless a points deduction fizzes us up. 

38 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Just stop please Drama Queen..

There are multiple games were monk has used substitutes to influence the result..

We were 3rd, 5 weeks ago for gods sake with one of the best defenses in the league, had one of top scorers in the league bang in form and scoring away from home for fun.

Considering what was going on behind the scenes Monk has done well with no resources.. the players have let him down recently. Badly.

He has had his say, signed some decent players and today was defiantly an improvement on Wigan (I was there and today was good in comparison)

Its part of football (ups and downs) ... stop looking for stuff that isnt there just to suit your attention seeking.

While Monk will always be accountable... multiple managers have failed with this bunch.. we should be showing support for Monk not hunting for his head

• Like 1

On 27/11/2019 at 22:56, Flat Owl said:

Jos was a good 8 in his first few months.

Mind you he was still dining out on that 0-0 draw at the Lane for most of that...

Doesn’t say much when his biggest achievement was a backs to the wall draw at The Lane. 

I’ll give him a gold star for knocking Wilders duck off on that night.

But a lot of the performances under Jos were turgid. Bristol and QPR away were as bad as it gets.

57 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

You call it a dreadful squad so I’m not really sure on what basis you can say Monk doesn’t deserve a crack at sorting it out? For me this is a mid table side and it’s looking increasingly like that’s where we will finish unless a points deduction fizzes us up. 

Strange how so many said at the start of the season that we were going to finish mid-table and that would be acceptable.  All of a sudden it's not acceptable.  I agree, we are a mid-table side, so we'd better get used to it.  GM 's tactics only reflect the strengths of his players.  Bet it changes with the new acquisitions.  He's no mug...

• Like 1

Monk as taken over a poor ageing squad ,and I reckon we will see a big difference very soon.

The loanees will add better options for him and we have to be patient.

Cannot understand anyone that blames Monk ,instead of the overrated,overpaid under achieving players that he as at his disposal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

Strange how so many said at the start of the season that we were going to finish mid-table and that would be acceptable.  All of a sudden it's not acceptable.  I agree, we are a mid-table side, so we'd better get used to it.  GM 's tactics only reflect the strengths of his players.  Bet it changes with the new acquisitions.  He's no mug...

It’s not pretty at the moment but what is the point of changing manager? These gutless players have been the constant over the last 3 years. Monk has had one window to bring some players in but we all know it will take big surgery in the summer to get us back on the right path. 

Im not and have never been particularly impressed with monks appointment but we really do need to give him a few weeks with the new players to see if the football and home performances (in particular) improve before we start clamouring for his head.. Im not talking about results as such (most sensible fans realise this is not a brilliant side even with the new players) but performances and effort need to improve drastically. 

Disgusting the way he slated the players on Tuesday then more or less plays the same side.

Hopefully Wickham and Windass will improve the shitwe have at the minute.

Cruz looked okay but Monk sets up very negative and predictable.

There are similarities in the situation’s they had to deal with. Jos had a tougher time with injuries. I think Jos wanted to quicken the process of change but the only way he could do this was through academy players who started well then got found out. He got the best out of Nuhiu and Joao when he first arrived then used them sporadically the following season which IMO apart from the obvious was part of his downfall.

Monk has the edge when it comes to championship experience and seems to be able to hold his emotions better than Jos. He seems to be finding himself in the same situation as Jos when it comes to relying on academy players but so far he hasn’t gone all in like Jos did. I think his handling of Urgohide shows a better grasp of things. Take him out of the firing line yet keep him involved. Clever management in all fairness. The recent loan additions may mean he can give the academy lads a shield but next season is the one where several may be forced to the forefront?

Neither Jos or Monk have the gravitas of Bruce. Bruce was respected by the players and I think we’d have been right in the thick of the promotion race had he stayed in charge even with this squad of players? But we have what we have and for me Monk has to get them back to basics and the levels of pre-Christmas between now and the end of the season, if not the there are question marks over his ability to take this club forward?

My own personal opinion is until the Chairman changes the way he runs the club then we’ll probably not have any continuity in the managers seat as a seemingly lack of control over general footballing matters doesn’t make this an easy job for whoever is in charge here? Carlos handled it well but unfortunately lost the fans, Bruce’s experience meant he could cope. Jos struggled badly where Monk started well but has found it hard recently and given his tendency to not hang around at clubs, my gut feeling is that he’ll walk in the summer? Our current situation is a mess but IMO things won’t change for the better until the Chairman gets a better grasp on the business called football?

I still fail to see what they are doing all week in training and that is the worrying thing for me. When we were winning we were very direct, even managers and fans called us a direct team. Since Fletchers injury we've become a long ball one trick pony team. Its not very inspiring watching our performances regardless of results, there is just no entertainment at all. Are we going to employ an archaic style of football or will he try to change it and get us at least passing the ball. At one point in the first half Millwall had made more than twice as many passes as we had but the same amount of long balls. 

Lets not blame the chairman though, tactics and team setups have nothing to do with him. The internal turmoil shouldn't influence those decisions as they lay solely at Monks door.