Monk no better than Jos

38 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

I still fail to see what they are doing all week in training and that is the worrying thing for me. When we were winning we were very direct, even managers and fans called us a direct team. Since Fletchers injury we've become a long ball one trick pony team. Its not very inspiring watching our performances regardless of results, there is just no entertainment at all. Are we going to employ an archaic style of football or will he try to change it and get us at least passing the ball. At one point in the first half Millwall had made more than twice as many passes as we had but the same amount of long balls. 

Lets not blame the chairman though, tactics and team setups have nothing to do with him. The internal turmoil shouldn't influence those decisions as they lay solely at Monks door. 

You can't polish a turd, and now 4 managers have tried.  We're lumbered with an ageing, past it squad of players, half of which are out of contract at the end of the season.  I'd imagine a good few of them know they won't be here next year.  So as a manager what do you do?  Your best player has just got a long term injury (after carrying the team to the top 3 at xmas.  The other options open to you couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.  I struggle to see what the manger can do about that.  We've clearly got bad apples in the squad too (now highlighted by 2 managers).  It's incredibly unfair to judge Monk on 4 weeks of football post xmas.  He's done an admirable job up until then and seemingly the Fletcher injury has badly exposed our weaknesses.  We can only hope that Wickham hits the ground running and things turn around.  But I certainly lay very little blame for our situation at Monk's door.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

3 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

You can't polish a turd, and now 4 managers have tried.  We're lumbered with an ageing, past it squad of players, half of which are out of contract at the end of the season.  I'd imagine a good few of them know they won't be here next year.  So as a manager what do you do?  Your best player has just got a long term injury (after carrying the team to the top 3 at xmas.  The other options open to you couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.  I struggle to see what the manger can do about that.  We've clearly got bad apples in the squad too (now highlighted by 2 managers).  It's incredibly unfair to judge Monk on 4 weeks of football post xmas.  He's done an admirable job up until then and seemingly the Fletcher injury has badly exposed our weaknesses.  We can only hope that Wickham hits the ground running and things turn around.  But I certainly lay very little blame for our situation at Monk's door.

As most will point out. Out of the players who played yesterday only Dave, Reach, Bannan and Palmer are old school, with only Dave being out of contract in the summer. Its the way we play that is most worrying. Strikers can't score if we don't create anything and lumping it won't and hasn't worked. That for me is the manager/coaches fault, no one else.

I am judging him on his performances as a whole. Admirable job is what Jos did when he came in and we had nearly no players except kids available due to injuries, Monk has players and decent ones at that. We were long ball with Fletcher and we are even more so now. 

13 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

As most will point out. Out of the players who played yesterday only Dave, Reach, Bannan and Palmer are old school, with only Dave being out of contract in the summer. Its the way we play that is most worrying. Strikers can't score if we don't create anything and lumping it won't and hasn't worked. That for me is the manager/coaches fault, no one else.

I am judging him on his performances as a whole. Admirable job is what Jos did when he came in and we had nearly no players except kids available due to injuries, Monk has players and decent ones at that. We were long ball with Fletcher and we are even more so now. 

So if we play direct and win you're not happy?  Surely you play to your strengths.  We don't have the players to play an open expansive game, and due to the financial f*ckwhitterie of our transfer policy over the last few years we can't buy our way out of it.

I also think the issues being discussed are more than just yesterday's game.  We've got a squad that is mostly made up of players who've now been here since the Carlos days.  Jos tried to freeze them out and the replacements clearly weren't up to the task.  Bruce managed to get them playing a bit more but the cracks were apparent even then.  Him leaving meant we never really found out what was possible.  Monk has come in and had to work with the same players.  He found a way that worked.  Fletcher has got injured and we don't have anyone to fill his boots so we're being exposed now as we have no out ball or threat up front.  It happens at better teams than ours, just look at Man U without Rashford, it's the same scenario.

There's also clearly issues off the pitch with some of the old guard (Hutch & Westwood).  That isn't going to lead to a harmonious dressing room.

Just not bothered...

22 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

It all comes back to not breaking up the play off failure team and squad building.

We put too many players on big long term contracts and called them family.

Totally the wrong approach and not healthy.

Hope we have learned a painful lesson.

Agreed.  It will take time to put right and with the P&S situation we need to be smart about the way we do it too.  Replacing managers every 12 months isn't the answer.

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Agreed.  It will take time to put right and with the P&S situation we need to be smart about the way we do it too.  Replacing managers every 12 months isn't the answer.

A lot easier than replacing all the players every year

Football in this day and age is all about the head coach. 

Look at our little brother across the city, as much as I hate him he is an amazing coach. He gets the last drop of ability out of every player that plays for him. He achieved what he has under worse conditions than we have here. 

No money, the board split down the middle, selling assets etc but yet he managed to achieve promotion to the promised land and they are now light years ahead of us. 

All that is down to wilder. 

Huddersfield went up the other year because of Wagner. 

Cardiff the same season because of warnock. 

Leeds are best footballing side in league because of bielsa. 

He is a good example, he came into Leeds and changed their poor performing average team in to world beaters, his 1st season he barely made any signings. 

The coach is everything. Now tell me what has monk done at Hillsborough to give you the confidence that he is the right man for the job? 

We have had so so many opportunities when well placed to really cement our place and each and every time we have bottled it. 

I'm not saying we should sack monk, he should never have been appointed. 

That said he is here now and should be given the season to prove himself. Failure to reach the playoffs and he should be sacked. 

I for one dont want monk in charge in our biggest summer since chansiri took over. 

Hope monk proves me wrong but history suggests he wont. 

Monk is no Bruce, but way too early to call him out.

He needs a summer and time to phase out the play off failure players as a minimum.

Then judge him.

Be nice to see some sort of attacking plan though. 

You can't charge what we do to watch us, and then be the worst home team to watch in the division. It will just kill attendances even further.

14 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Look at our little brother across the city, as much as I hate him he is an amazing coach. He gets the last drop of ability out of every player that plays for him. He achieved what he has under worse conditions than we have here. 

No money, the board split down the middle, selling assets etc but yet he managed to achieve promotion to the promised land and they are now light years ahead of us. 

He is a good example, he came into Leeds and changed their poor performing average team in to world beaters, his 1st season he barely made any signings. 

The coach is everything. Now tell me what has monk done at Hillsborough to give you the confidence that he is the right man for the job? 

We have had so so many opportunities when well placed to really cement our place and each and every time we have bottled it. 

That said he is here now and should be given the season to prove himself. Failure to reach the playoffs and he should be sacked. 

I for one dont want monk in charge in our biggest summer since chansiri took over. 

this

16 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Absolutely this, 

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

I think this is a fair assessment. When we beat Bristol City to move up to 3rd place at Christmas few were making comparisons with Jos. 

Our results and level of overall performance have fallen off a cliff with the loss of Fletcher. Since that time he has tried different combinations in attack, all of which have largely failed due to the level of ability of the forwards. Monk found a way of making us pretty effective with Fletcher as the focal point, sadly when the only other options have been Rhodes Winnall and Nuhiu it is difficult to be consistently effective.

Lets see how things go now that we can get Wickham and Windass into the team, both should offer better than what we have had to work with of late. Da Cruz looked promising yesterday and Forestieri looked lively, wouldn't surprise me if we get more out of him in the next few months, he needs to put himself in the shop window if someone is going to offer him a decent contract in the summer.

Monk does have to take some responsibility for the amount of late goals we have conceded though, it is an issue that has got much worse under his management and it could so easily have happened again yesterday.

52 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Not sure about the little brother bit, I’d consider them an unwanted step kid.

100% on the rest.

Edited by Big Rons Hairspray

Guest Kameron

Awful manager, what makes it worse is the players he has at his disposal.  

what does he and the estate agent have them doing all week?  It’s not all the players fault the manager and coach staff have questions to answer, I’d get rid of the entire back room staff in the summer and freshen things up.

56 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

My main gripe, aside from the rubbish football, is that there appears to be no plan Can anybody see what Monk is trying to do, I can’t 

Well...

At the time I thought this thread was bonkers and I still do to an extent...but the brand of football under Monk is so boring. 

I suppose the one thing with Monk is he doesn't constantly change formation throughout matches and pick a new backline every single game.

Still...14 goals at home all season? Remember a lot of people losing their patience with Stuart Gray when we were poor to watch at home in his first full season. Arguably, Gray had a lot less to work with than what Monk does now.

What I cant understand is why so negative. The season is just drifting away by our refusal to go for teams. 

Whilst I do agree completely regarding the significance of the manager, let's not forgot Monk was appointed during this season, he still gets the benefit of doubt in my opinion. 

Also, whilst agree with examples raised, Wilder got the pigs up in his 2nd season and Bielsa appears to be struggling again. 

Monk has had a few months, no preseason, no transfer windows (effectively)... Let's wait and see

On 27/11/2019 at 22:40, Eaton_Swfc said:

There, I've said it. 

Far far far too pedestrian, backwards negative football. No movement on the odd occasions we do venture forward, and wrong formation is isolating the only decent striker we have. 

Very very poor. I give it 12 months tops. 

Harsh and short sighted

6 minutes ago, deano said:

Whilst I do agree completely regarding the significance of the manager, let's not forgot Monk was appointed during this season, he still gets the benefit of doubt in my opinion. 

Also, whilst agree with examples raised, Wilder got the pigs up in his 2nd season and Bielsa appears to be struggling again. 

Monk has had a few months, no preseason, no transfer windows (effectively)... Let's wait and see

Bielsa struggling? They are 2nd? 

And watching the highlights they tore wigan apart yesterday. 

Unlucky not to win 3 or 4 nil 

We were lucky to finish with a point yesterday.

One glancing header from reach was as good as it got. 

Monk cannot and should not be trusted with our biggest summer in years. 

If this is his audition 

He ain't getting the part 

• Like 1

On 27/11/2019 at 23:00, McRightSide said:

Remember the zero strikers game?

Or the dropping Hector after getting POTM game?

Or the Hutch as #10 game?

Or the Joost van Aken games?

Or the delicious football in our own box games?

Or the throwing random kids in games?

Or the refusing to play good players games?

Or the mute coach on the sideline games?

Or the rocking back and forward on the bench games?

Do you remember the Jos games?

What fun that was.

Bloody hell, what a charge sheet. 

Hutch as a number 10 at Wigan was absolutely insane, Jos should've been sent for psychiatric testing after that.