Monk no better than Jos

13 hours ago, kobayashi said:

Just as Monk is not responsible for whether Wednesday can afford Wickham  or not then Carlos is not responsible for the finances and debt. Only man knew what could be afforded and that was and is DCs and he 100% owns what happened then and now. 

chansiri knows that now and probably has done for over 3 years . its a bit like some stupid 19year old taking out loans credit cards and building up a massive debt with no way of paying it back. whatever monk has been allowed in loan wages /same bruce/same jos/same bullen is very small to what carlos spent . chansiri has learned the hard way and its us supporters what are paying for it for whats on the pitch . heard our summer free signings earn just over a 3rd on what we were paying hooper,jones,abdi etc. the wage bill will come down from 42 million under Carlos's expensive mistakes/misfits to probably under 30 million by end of next season as your likes of Rhodes 40k a week fessi 34k wont be replaced by anyone on them wages again. 

Monk lost me a bit by slagging the players in the media.

IF the players could talk honestly about Monk, we might hear a few things that confirm so of the worries I have watching his dreary tactics and crap substitutions.

Not Monk out yet though. Too far too soon. 

21 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Given Monk sights Brendan Rogers as one of his biggest influences, I'm surprised he plays the style of football that he does? Is it down to the players he inherited, maybe? But some would rightly say a core group of these players played fluid attacking football in that first season Carlos was in charge but I think a big difference is the quality of full-backs Carlos had then. Hunt and Pudil were and are better full-backs than Palmer and Fox. Keeping faith with our current full-backs will probably bring more of the same? Defensively solid they may be, good going forward despite the odd moment aren't.

Some of our current players struggle to make a basic pass at times, so I don't think you can be too harsh on Monk that he doesn't have us playing like Leicester. 

22 hours ago, gizowl said:

Let's see how the rest of the season pans out before we make any hasty decisions on Monk, but either way at the end of the season the decision needs to be made within the first few days and plans put in place for the following season.

DC and quick decisions don't match.

He struggles to get the playing strip here before the season starts.

My concerns about us actually keeping the ball under Monk haven't gone away sadly.
His opening 5 games we had 38%, 29%, 38%, 47%, 44%

Our possession was higher in the games around xmas and new year.. but we also lost 3 of those 4.
52% H Bristol City
47% A Stoke
64% H Cardiff
57% H Hull

And since then we've had 38%, 33%, 38%, 47%, 42%, 48% (average 41%)
We just can't keep the ball or control a game. If we can't do that then we're not going to get anywhere.
1 win, 5 losses in our last 7 league games is testament to that.

Monk's just not a very good manager unfortunately.

26 minutes ago, cookeh said:

My concerns about us actually keeping the ball under Monk haven't gone away sadly.
His opening 5 games we had 38%, 29%, 38%, 47%, 44%

Our possession was higher in the games around xmas and new year.. but we also lost 3 of those 4.
52% H Bristol City
47% A Stoke
64% H Cardiff
57% H Hull

And since then we've had 38%, 33%, 38%, 47%, 42%, 48% (average 41%)
We just can't keep the ball or control a game. If we can't do that then we're not going to get anywhere.
1 win, 5 losses in our last 7 league games is testament to that.

Monk's just not a very good manager unfortunately.

We have just got in Da Cruz, Windass and Wickham to help with exactly that. Monk plays a counter attack style and these type of players are essential for that. 

These three I have just mentioned added with Forestieri with improve our fortunes no end. Expect results to pick up now. If they dont then he can have no excuse.

Edited by pazowl55

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Monk lost me a bit by slagging the players in the media.

IF the players could talk honestly about Monk, we might hear a few things that confirm so of the worries I have watching his dreary tactics and crap substitutions.

Not Monk out yet though. Too far too soon. 

Have to say the cracks are starting to appear. 

Of course it would be unfair if Monk were to lose his job now, but an assessment before the end of the season is necessary, as we need to have someone in place for the summer recruitment Were he being assessed now, I don’t think he would be in charge come the summer Results wise, not terrible, but probably only what Bullen would have achieved. The football though, mainly dreadful. What I don’t want to see is, come the summer, people saying, he needs to have a season with his own players

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

We have just got in Da Cruz, Windass and Wickham to help with exactly that. Monk plays a counter attack style and these type of players are essential for that. 

These three I have just mentioned added with Forestieri with improve our fortunes no end. Expect results to pick up now. If they dont then he can have no excuse.

It does seem to be the only way he knows how to play, and while it's been occasionally successful, for the most part it hasn't been. We need a plan b (or in my opinion a different plan a) and we don't seem to have one.

Da Cruz looks like he might do well. Bit of pace and almost put Nando in, probably should have released it earlier, but still.. for a debut as a sub he did alright. Dont know he'll help possession stats, but he should work on the counter. With Reach too easily disappearing, Murphy having very little end product and Harris struggling to find that early season form, I can see Da Cruz getting a decent amount of time on the pitch. Fingers crossed.

Wickham, should get goals, despite having struggled to find the net since leaving us 6 years ago. But he is certainly not a pace merchant, and so doesn't really fit a counter attacking style very well. He'd probably work better up front in a 2. So that's either Nando, tho he's always struggled centrally, or the only other option seems to be Rhodes. Winnall's done nothing of note in his time up front, and Rhodes did at least look like he was starting to build an understanding with Fletch before he got injured. While Jordan's almost certainly gone in the summer (along with possible every other forward we have!) he's the most likely guy on our books of actually finding the net along side Wickham. Nando and Da Cruz wide?

Windass I don't have a great deal of time for. Saw a decent amount of him at Rangers, and while he did ok there for one season, he never convinced me that he was a good footballer. He's slumped at Wigan, and I'm not convinced he'll make any kind of difference for us. I guess he'll play behind Wickham in a 4231. He's not very creative and only seems to score against poor opposition, bottom half of the Scottish Prem or League Two level. Not expecting anything from him, most likely to just be a passenger when he plays imo.

I guess I'd like to see us actually bossing a game for a change. We have people who are built for playing football. Bannan, Luongo, Nando, Reach, Rhodes, Wickham. But we seem fixated on break with pace-break with pace-break with pace. 5 losses in 7. Wigan, Hull, Blackburn, Cardiff, Stoke. Not a single team in the top 10. It's just not good enough. Win just 3 of those and we're on the tail of Leeds. Just feels like we're throwing the season away.

Guest LittleG
28 minutes ago, cookeh said:

It does seem to be the only way he knows how to play, and while it's been occasionally successful, for the most part it hasn't been. We need a plan b (or in my opinion a different plan a) and we don't seem to have one.

Da Cruz looks like he might do well. Bit of pace and almost put Nando in, probably should have released it earlier, but still.. for a debut as a sub he did alright. Dont know he'll help possession stats, but he should work on the counter. With Reach too easily disappearing, Murphy having very little end product and Harris struggling to find that early season form, I can see Da Cruz getting a decent amount of time on the pitch. Fingers crossed.

Wickham, should get goals, despite having struggled to find the net since leaving us 6 years ago. But he is certainly not a pace merchant, and so doesn't really fit a counter attacking style very well. He'd probably work better up front in a 2. So that's either Nando, tho he's always struggled centrally, or the only other option seems to be Rhodes. Winnall's done nothing of note in his time up front, and Rhodes did at least look like he was starting to build an understanding with Fletch before he got injured. While Jordan's almost certainly gone in the summer (along with possible every other forward we have!) he's the most likely guy on our books of actually finding the net along side Wickham. Nando and Da Cruz wide?

Windass I don't have a great deal of time for. Saw a decent amount of him at Rangers, and while he did ok there for one season, he never convinced me that he was a good footballer. He's slumped at Wigan, and I'm not convinced he'll make any kind of difference for us. I guess he'll play behind Wickham in a 4231. He's not very creative and only seems to score against poor opposition, bottom half of the Scottish Prem or League Two level. Not expecting anything from him, most likely to just be a passenger when he plays imo.

I guess I'd like to see us actually bossing a game for a change. We have people who are built for playing football. Bannan, Luongo, Nando, Reach, Rhodes, Wickham. But we seem fixated on break with pace-break with pace-break with pace. 5 losses in 7. Wigan, Hull, Blackburn, Cardiff, Stoke. Not a single team in the top 10. It's just not good enough. Win just 3 of those and we're on the tail of Leeds. Just feels like we're throwing the season away.

Substitute "we're throwing" with "we've thrown". Unfortunately it cannot be underestimated what the loss of Fletcher has had on our team. The back ups, Rhodes, Winnall and Nuihu, have not stepped up to the plate because they are not good enough and need getting shut. Hopefully we will improve going forward with the loans and FF coming back but.I'm not holding my breath. Our football is stale and has been most of the season.

1 hour ago, LittleG said:

Substitute "we're throwing" with "we've thrown". Unfortunately it cannot be underestimated what the loss of Fletcher has had on our team. The back ups, Rhodes, Winnall and Nuihu, have not stepped up to the plate because they are not good enough and need getting shut. Hopefully we will improve going forward with the loans and FF coming back but.I'm not holding my breath. Our football is stale and has been most of the season.

7 points off the playoffs with 16 to play. It's not thrown yet, tho I think we agree that we're really not going to make it, but that's not because it's done already, but because none of us believe Monk has the smarts to turn things around and get us winning more than 2 games in a row (something he's embarrassingly yet to achieve!).

1 hour ago, Parsons Cross Owl said:

The time to judge Monk is next season, his hands are tied with this shower.

Could be a very good summer, and hopefully have another crack at promotion next season.

Could be an awful summer and we could very well get relegated next season tbh.

If everyone out of contract leaves (as could happen as they get that nice pay day as free agents) the squad will be:
Dawson, Wildsmith, Westwood, Palmer, Odubajo, Lees, Borner, Iofra, Van Aken, Bannan, Luongo, Reach and Harris.

That's it.. 2 mids, 2 wingers, no left back, no strikers. That's a hell of a lot of work to do in the summer!
And Monk's history in the transfer market isn't stellar.. I think I'm also right in saying that he's never signed a single player on a free.. ever.

1 hour ago, Parsons Cross Owl said:

The time to judge Monk is next season, his hands are tied with this shower.

Could be a very good summer, and hopefully have another crack at promotion next season.

Not totally writing this season off, but if we go up with this lot I would be a tad surprised.

If you think DC has appointed him to tread water for season, you might get a shock. Seriously, Bullen could have been left in charge if that was the remit

Huge summer coming up....

i think it starts with getting rid of monk and having a long term project for a change - I just don’t think he has the charisma or spark to get Wednesday going 

it’s a great opportunity for any new manager (providing no ffp / point deduction) coming in , to build and mould a squad. We need a manager who players will respect, want to play for and want to join Wednesday because of - unfortunately I don’t think monk fits into that remit