Forestieri could make all the difference

Is Fessi lazy?

Not in the big games. I seem to remember that when we've been on telly Fessi has produced absolute storming performances against the likes of Newcastle Huddersfield and Norwich (three different seasons). 

I remember when he was being hailed as the best player in the Championship (or at least one of the top few). He definitely has (or had) what we need and it would be awesome if Monk could get him back to his best.

But I have two other observations about Fessi that make me think it'll never work:

1. Even when he's fit and firing he goes missing. Has anyone else noticed that he will run around like mad for a few minutes and look like the hardest working ball-winner we could ever hope for. But then he'll have a rest for 5 minutes and do absolutely nothing until the ball comes to him again and then he'll look like he's working hard again. If you're a Wednesday full back with Fessi on the flank in front of you you know there will be times when you'll get no help whatsoever. That's why most managers looking for a wide forward would pick Reach over Fessi most of the time. 

2. He's one of the most selfish players I've ever seen. Given the ball in a promising position his first thought is invariably to have a shot. Sometimes it works (v Norwich) often it doesn't. But if you're a striker and Fessi is your partner, don't expect to get played in very often. This is why most managers wouldn't regard Fessi as the ideal no 10 either.

He's a conundrum. Can Monk solve it and make it work. We desperately need to make the most of his undoubted quality.

1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Is Fessi lazy?

Not in the big games. I seem to remember that when we've been on telly Fessi has produced absolute storming performances against the likes of Newcastle Huddersfield and Norwich (three different seasons). 

I remember when he was being hailed as the best player in the Championship (or at least one of the top few). He definitely has (or had) what we need and it would be awesome if Monk could get him back to his best.

But I have two other observations about Fessi that make me think it'll never work:

1. Even when he's fit and firing he goes missing. Has anyone else noticed that he will run around like mad for a few minutes and look like the hardest working ball-winner we could ever hope for. But then he'll have a rest for 5 minutes and do absolutely nothing until the ball comes to him again and then he'll look like he's working hard again. If you're a Wednesday full back with Fessi on the flank in front of you you know there will be times when you'll get no help whatsoever. That's why most managers looking for a wide forward would pick Reach over Fessi most of the time. 

2. He's one of the most selfish players I've ever seen. Given the ball in a promising position his first thought is invariably to have a shot. Sometimes it works (v Norwich) often it doesn't. But if you're a striker and Fessi is your partner, don't expect to get played in very often. This is why most managers wouldn't regard Fessi as the ideal no 10 either.

He's a conundrum. Can Monk solve it and make it work. We desperately need to make the most of his undoubted quality.

This issue was dealt with at his previous club.

Keep him as sub and bring him on with 30 minutes to go.    

Every game.

Guest The Horse

I like what someone said above.

Kadz (copyright Sam Hutch 2019), Fessi and Fletch as a front three indeed gives all the options that a forward unit could want.

Would be a nightmare for the opposing players and management.

Which brings us right back to the thread title and absolutely he can make all the difference.

Fessi could make the difference. I don't know what's the matter with murphy but he seem to panic when he gets near the box. If Fessi was in that position he would charge in there. I'm hoping that will be an area Monk focuses on during the international break and works with Murphy to rebuild the lads confidence.

51 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

On his day he is unplayable, he is our most gifted player by a country mile.

If Monk can get him back to the form he showed in his first season he will be like a new signing and have a big say on how the season goes.

Yep, and to be honest, we need to add more options to our attacking play. Slinging in crosses for Fletcher’s head is useful, but it becomes a bit predictable. Forestieri is a clever player, and anything but predictable

• Thanks 1

I was thinking, is it possible to eventually include, both Forestieri and Reach in the side, without switching to a 4-4-2? It could be argued, and often is by Holmowl, that both men are more effective when starting wide. For that to happen, we would have to leave Harris out, which isn’t going to happen.

My suggestion would be, if we wanted to include all three, switch Harris to the right, probably his more natural position, and use Reach on the left of the midfield, with Forestieri wide on the left. Neither are flying wingers, so use Reach’s box to box running and his long range shooting in a slightly more central role. As Forestieri will generally come inside, Reach will have plenty of opportunity to move wide. That way, we get the best out of both players. By the way, I’m not suggesting a central midfield role for Reach, more using him in the way that we used Bannan in season one. I guess a sort of 4-2-3-1 system

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

We are on Sky for the next 3 games, so he will come back looking like a world beater.  However, as soon as the cameras disappear, so will FF.

One of his goals last season was in a Sky game, the other 5 goals in 5 separate games weren't.

His 5  in 10 games the season before - none were on Sky.

Plus 2 seasons before that plenty of goals not on Sky.

So yeah good theory.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I was thinking, is it possible to eventually include, both Forestieri and Reach in the side, without switching to a 4-4-2? It could be argued, and often is by Holmowl, that both men are more effective when starting wide. For that to happen, we would have to leave Harris out, which isn’t going to happen.

My suggestion would be, if we wanted to include all three, switch Harris to the right, probably his more natural position, and use Reach on the left of the midfield, with Forestieri wide on the left. Neither are flying wingers, so use Reach’s box to box running and his long range shooting in a slightly more central role. As Forestieri will generally come inside, Reach will have plenty of opportunity to move wide. That way, we get the best out of both players. By the way, I’m not suggesting a central midfield role for Reach, more using him in the way that we used Bannan in season one. I guess a sort of 4-2-3-1 system

However you dress that up it’s using Reach as a midfielder rather than a winger. I’m assuming you would have Hutch, Reach and Bannan as our 3-man midfield? 

I think Reach, Forestieri, Harris and Murphy are wingers or the wide forward in a three. That’s where they should play.

Like it or not, Reach and Harris will start at Cardiff. FF and Murphy have to work hard in training, and grasp the opportunity when it comes, which it will very quickly. To have these 4 pushing hard for a starting shirt is great.

Think we will stick with our 4-3-3 formation that we used at wigan.  We seem to have players that can fit well into that system better than any other.  What Forestieri coming back means is that Harris will have a bit of competition on the left hand side and also Monk may want to go 4-4-2 on more occasions knowing that Forestieri would be an adequate partner for Fletcher.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

However you dress that up it’s using Reach as a midfielder rather than a winger. I’m assuming you would have Hutch, Reach and Bannan as our 3-man midfield? 

I think Reach, Forestieri, Harris and Murphy are wingers or the wide forward in a three. That’s where they should play.

Like it or not, Reach and Harris will start at Cardiff. FF and Murphy have to work hard in training, and grasp the opportunity when it comes, which it will very quickly. To have these 4 pushing hard for a starting shirt is great.

Yeah it’s true, although probably more, one of the three behind the striker. Don’t think changes will be made for a game or two, but we need to find a way of getting our best players on the pitch A less one dimensional attacking model is required

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah it’s true, although probably more, one of the three behind the striker. Don’t think changes will be made for a game or two, but we need to find a way of getting our best players on the pitch A less one dimensional attacking model is required

Careful not to open the Carlos shoe-horn drawer.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Careful not to open the Carlos shoe-horn drawer.

If there's one thing that Monk doesn't strike me as is someone who will shoehorn players. Think players have specific positions and roles/jobs and they stick to them.