Forestieri could make all the difference

You could have scripted some of the responses in this thread, and most of them from posters who throw a hissy fit if someone gives Fox or Nuhiu the same treatment, still , all about opinions isn`t it , but i am sure everyone can agree that regardless of all thats gone before a fully fit and motivated FF would be a huge bonus at this stage so lets hope he is ready to make an impact.

56 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Shouldn't we say that about most of the squad? Only Fletcher, Harris, Bannan and Borner have reached the heights of acceptability this season.    

You can most certainly add Palmer to that list

On 07/10/2019 at 11:03, Craig enock said:

We can now all agree that defensively we are a solid unit .

23 hours ago, Miffed said:

Can we?

22 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yes I think we can. We have very good options at centre back, and a good right back (playing at left back

I dont agree at all. I think its naieve to think that we are solid in defence.... and by defence, Im not just talking about the back four, Im talking about defensively as a team overall.

In my opinion we still look frail and have a lot more work to do to be considered solid defensively, both from a back 4 perspective but also from the defensive contributions from midfield.

4 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

You could have scripted some of the responses in this thread, and most of them from posters who throw a hissy fit if someone gives Fox or Nuhiu the same treatment, still , all about opinions isn`t it , but i am sure everyone can agree that regardless of all thats gone before a fully fit and motivated FF would be a huge bonus at this stage so lets hope he is ready to make an impact.

Fully fit, fully motivated and played in a wide role.

23 hours ago, gurujuan said:

He is the only player we have who can play between the lines Without him, or someone like him, our attacking options are very basic Yes there are a few reservations about how he might fit into our current set up, but we’d have similar problems with any skilful ball player If we want to be successful, at some point we have to incorporate players who are comfortable on the ball

you have to have the ambition to play more than one up at home, you and I disagree on this.

if ff play's 'in the hole' and we play two up, who holds the m/f?

those mighty tacklers bannan and reach?

he can only play in a one up, and for me monk won't be using that as often at home after the Christmas window .

19 minutes ago, Miffed said:

I dont agree at all. I think its naieve to think that we are solid in defence.... and by defence, Im not just talking about the back four, Im talking about defensively as a team overall.

In my opinion we still look frail and have a lot more work to do to be considered solid defensively, both from a back 4 perspective but also from the defensive contributions from midfield.

I agree that we are some way off defensive solidity.

Despite a decent goals against stat, we look like we could concede at any time. For different reasons, defensively we mastered both Fulham and Middlesbrough, yet in both games we conceded due to shoddy defending. I didn't see the Hull match; was that the same? Wigan could have gone the same way too. We have some way to go before we are "solid in defence".

39 minutes ago, Miffed said:

I disagree. 

Look at the number if shots our opponents have had.

Wigan 5

Hull 8

Boro 9

Fulham 9

Hudders 9

Compare that to the average shots by Championship sides this weekend - 13

24 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

you have to have the ambition to play more than one up at home, you and I disagree on this.

if ff play's 'in the hole' and we play two up, who holds the m/f?

those mighty tacklers bannan and reach?

he can only play in a one up, and for me monk won't be using that as often at home after the Christmas window .

One up front is OK, but several factors limit the potential of the system for us. First of all, Fletcher is not the type of striker you want acting as a lone striker. Secondly, none of our more adventurous second row, especially the wide players, ease the burden when it comes to goal scoring If the focal point of your attack, isn’t prolific, it’s difficult to employ two out and out wingers. 

Maybe, things might improve if we play Forestieri as one of the second row, in a 4-2-3-1 system.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

One up front is OK, but several factors limit the potential of the system for us. First of all, Fletcher is not the type of striker you want acting as a lone striker. Secondly, none of our more adventurous second row, especially the wide players, ease the burden when it comes to goal scoring If the focal point of your attack, isn’t prolific, it’s difficult to employ two out and out wingers. 

Maybe, things might improve if we play Forestieri as one of the second row, in a 4-2-3-1 system.

fletcher was outstanding leading the sunderland line 'one up', but we need more goals for promotion than sunderland needed to avoid relegation.

maybe harris with his speed could be tried as 'second striker'.

I agree we shouldn't be using two wingmen.

which ff are you expecting to turn up?

Him Fletcher and Harris as a front three sounds great on paper. 

You would have a bit of everything in that - pace, trickery, aerial ability. 

Fingers crossed he can come back, hit the ground running and play for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Him Fletcher and Harris as a front three sounds great on paper. 

You would have a bit of everything in that - pace, trickery, aerial ability. 

Fingers crossed he can come back, hit the ground running and play for the rest of the season. 

Certainly that looks the best blend