Forestieri could make all the difference

18 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Even though there probably haven't been many better left backs in the entire league this season than Palmer I would imagine.

We need to focus on what Palmer has done well for us, rather than focusing on all the things we think he cant do and insisting that every manger that sees him play must want to replace him.

I'm oldschool bud. 

For me a left footed left back gives a proper balance to the side. 

It's not that I didn't rate Palmer, he's done a very solid job, but he will struggle to go down the outside or get a cross in when on the overlap with out cutting inside or stopping play. 

Was one of my bug bears playing inverted wingers under Carlos it helped slow our play down and made us easier to defend against. 

17 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I despair when I see a post like the one from Mycroft on here:

"Monk has sorted out the defence by playing more rigidly he needs to getting the attack playing more freely now and bloody entertain us!!"

Many of us recall how it went right down to the wire between us and Aldershot to go down into Division 4 (now called League 2).

I wonder if Mycroft was there at the time and if not does he know what league Aldershot are playing in now?

I think Mycroft is spot on. It's not that difficult to tighten things up at the back but it's often at the expense of scoring goals and entertaining. Getting it right at both ends is the challenge for all managers. I'm not sure what the relevance of a relegation battle 40 years ago is.

As I read Mycroft's post I was just reflecting on all those tremendous 4-1 victories for SWFC over the years at The Riverside and before that at Ayresome Park.

It is hard to pick out from the many which was the most entertaining!

I think that Gary Monk has made a very good start whether we win, lose or draw at Cardiff tonight.

I am not sure what "bloody entertain us" really means.

8 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

He hasn't performed with anything resembling consistency for 3 years.

He's on huge wages, largely utilised sitting at home. Hooper who has spent all year scrabbling to find another club in Azerbaijan, after we finally saw sense, was similar.

We all want them to succeed and to start earning the big bucks, but ultimately they have to turn out on a Saturday and add value.

Thats not true though.

He was on form in 16/17 season.

He was out for an operation in 17/18 but scored 5 in 10 when he returned.

Last season didnt go well but he still ended up with 6 goals 

So its a lie saying he hasnt been consistent for 3 years

18 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

You know what I find really entertaining....

Winning.

So sad, but so true.

Give me a choice between a scratchy, lifeless 1-0 win, or an end-to-end silky breath-taking 5-5.....easy pick.

15 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Thats not true though.

He was on form in 16/17 season.

He was out for an operation in 17/18 but scored 5 in 10 when he returned.

Last season didnt go well but he still ended up with 6 goals 

So its a lie saying he hasnt been consistent for 3 years

Has he beggary.

He’s been nowhere near consistent.

However, he has more talent than most of the squad put together. In the right position, in the right mood, he gets into the starting side week in, week out. We have a new manager who brought Hernandez in and combined his flair with effort. It’s perfectly possible that Monk can do the same with Forestieri.

The prospect of a 433 most of the season with a Monk-motivated Forestieri, Reach and Harris sharing two shirts is mouth-watering. Christ, £13m ex-Prem Murphy might barely feature if Monk cracks this.

Some time during Cardiff, Stoke and Leeds, Forestieri gets his first chance to impress Monk on the pitch. Totally fresh start. Baggage-free. It’s up to him. We know he can do it. Let’s hope he does.

58 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm oldschool bud. 

For me a left footed left back gives a proper balance to the side. 

It's not that I didn't rate Palmer, he's done a very solid job, but he will struggle to go down the outside or get a cross in when on the overlap with out cutting inside or stopping play. 

Was one of my bug bears playing inverted wingers under Carlos it helped slow our play down and made us easier to defend against. 

Dont like Palmer keep cutting back onto his right to put crosses in but he is probably the best full back we got at the club at the minute so he plays every week for me. And with Harris always getting to the bye line to cross the ball his cutting back inside isnt actually to much of an issue at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Has he beggary.

He’s been nowhere near consistent.

However, he has more talent than most of the squad put together. In the right position, in the right mood, he gets into the starting side week in, week out. We have a new manager who brought Hernandez in and combined his flair with effort. It’s perfectly possible that Monk can do the same with Forestieri.

The prospect of a 433 most of the season with a Monk-motivated Forestieri, Reach and Harris sharing two shirts is mouth-watering. Christ, £13m ex-Prem Murphy might barely feature if Monk cracks this.

Some time during Cardiff, Stoke and Leeds, Forestieri gets his first chance to impress Monk on the pitch. Totally fresh start. Baggage-free. It’s up to him. We know he can do it. Let’s hope he does.

Last season he wasn't consistent but to say he hasnt for 3 seasons is just testicles.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I was thinking this. It wouldnt surprise me if monk tried to use him in a similar way.

49 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

You know what I find really entertaining....

Winning.

Did you find the recent game against Wigan entertaining? Like Holmowl I'd rather see a scratchy 1 0 win than a 5 5 draw and I was delighted we won but there's a difference between being entertained and winning. 

27 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Dont like Palmer keep cutting back onto his right to put crosses in but he is probably the best full back we got at the club at the minute so he plays every week for me. And with Harris always getting to the bye line to cross the ball his cutting back inside isnt actually to much of an issue at the moment.

As I mentioned in another thread, it will be practically impossible to find a full back who has the speed to overlap Harris. Harris needs a full back who can defend, first and foremost, behind him

13 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He could - but unlikely based on what he has done in the last two years.

not much.

..the club has moved on and I am not really sure where he fits in anymore.

Our 433 is made for him.

Lets hope Monk is able to get FF to the top of his game.