Forestieri could make all the difference

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

If there's one thing that Monk doesn't strike me as is someone who will shoehorn players. Think players have specific positions and roles/jobs and they stick to them.

55 minutes into his first game in charge he switched Reach from his unnatural midfield role to RW. Since then every player has played in their best role.

Very pleasing.

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

55 minutes into his first game in charge he switched Reach from his unnatural midfield role to RW. Since then every player has played in their best role.

Very pleasing.

Think he has two players in mind for every position and if the main one is out then the replacement comes. no shoehoring and each role will be specific to that players attributes.

For example I think we will always see Monk play a holding player in front of the defence and those two players are first choice Hutchinson and second choice Pelupessy. And I dont see him coming away from that as its players in specific jobs and roles. So a midfield three of Bannan Lee and Luongo I just dont see happening as Monk wont have his proper defensive minded cover in place.

20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Very pleasing.

And I’m all for that, however a front three of Fletcher, Harris and Reach is too basic, lacks subtlety and won’t get us enough goals 

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

And I’m all for that, however a front three of Fletcher, Harris and Reach is too basic, lacks subtlety and won’t get us enough goals 

If Forestieri can prove he can work as hard for the team as he does sometimes for himself then he will be in that front three.  Dont think he can hog the ball and have 7 or 8 shots a game going for glory and waste possession so easily as he sometimes does.

Think Monk will demand a more team playing Forestieri then any of the managers he has had here.

No licence to roam about the pitch Joao style under Monk's watch.

lol

So far yes, but going forward, we need to be a lot more creative Don’t get me wrong, I’m more than happy with our progress, but I see that lack of guile being an issue if we want to sustain a genuine promotion challenge We have someone who might now be available, who can add a bit of guile, so I was merely musing if there was a way we could incorporate all of them

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So far yes, but going forward, we need to be a lot more creative Don’t get me wrong, I’m more than happy with our progress, but I see that lack of guile being an issue if we want to sustain a genuine promotion challenge We have someone who might now be available, who can add a bit of guile, so I was merely musing if there was a way we could incorporate all of them

4-4-2 is maybe the only way. But then that exposes our midfield centrally to much.

Hopefully Monk is working on it as we speak.

Edited by pazowl55

10 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

4-4-2 is maybe the only way. But then that exposes our midfield centrally to much.

Hopefully Monk is working on it as we speak.

For that reason, I’m not in favour of 4-4-2. Plus, I don’t think we’d get the best out of Forestieri or Reach in that system

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For that reason, I’m not in favour of 4-4-2. Plus, I don’t think we’d get the best out of Forestieri or Reach in that system

4-4-2 isolates Harris aswell. He needs to be right pushed up top on the right back pushing him back. Three in midfield centrally allows him to do that without fear of having to protect palmer to much as we have cover.

5 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

If Forestieri can prove he can work as hard for the team as he does sometimes for himself then he will be in that front three.  Dont think he can hog the ball and have 7 or 8 shots a game going for glory and waste possession so easily as he sometimes does.

Think Monk will demand a more team playing Forestieri then any of the managers he has had here.

No licence to roam about the pitch Joao style under Monk's watch.

lol

Regarding roaming about the pitch, I'd imagine that's more likely to have been from instruction rather than him not being very disciplined in terms of just playing his position.

The other thing about him needing to be more of a team player I don't get though. Ever since that infamous Norwich game he's been far too unselfish in his play and actually needs to go back to being significantly more greedy in my opinion. Far too often I saw him trying to set up chances for others when 99 times out of 100 he'd be better off having a go himself. I hope Monk can get him believing in himself again, because if he gets his confidence back he certainly has the quality to make the difference between finishing mid-table and in the play-offs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dan™ said:

I hope Monk can get him believing in himself again, because if he gets his confidence back he certainly has the quality to make the difference between finishing mid-table and in the play-offs.

Since the start of the 18/19 season we have won 2 of his 16 starts. And one of those we were nil-nil until he went off.

How does that turn into making “the difference between mid-table and play-offs”?

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Since the start of the 18/19 season we have won 2 of his 16 starts. And one of those we were nil-nil until he went off.

How does that turn into making “the difference between mid-table and play-offs”?

This stat demonstrates why the team dynamic is way more important than the inclusion of any of individual, no matter how talented.

If we can learn anything from the pigs it’s that you don’t need superstar players to succeed in this league. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds

7 hours ago, Dan™ said:

Regarding roaming about the pitch, I'd imagine that's more likely to have been from instruction rather than him not being very disciplined in terms of just playing his position.

The other thing about him needing to be more of a team player I don't get though. Ever since that infamous Norwich game he's been far too unselfish in his play and actually needs to go back to being significantly more greedy in my opinion. Far too often I saw him trying to set up chances for others when 99 times out of 100 he'd be better off having a go himself. I hope Monk can get him believing in himself again, because if he gets his confidence back he certainly has the quality to make the difference between finishing mid-table and in the play-offs.

My bad. When I said roam about the pitch Joao style I meant in more of a lazy fashion.  As said by others I believe Monk would adopt a more workmen like approach to his teams and individual talent in the team will only be tolerated if its backed up by hard work. 

I am personally looking forward to Forestieri coming back in because I do think Monk will get something out of him.

• Like 1

People getting excited by him playing up top with Fletcher - I’m struggling to remember a single game where they’ve played well together. Not even a suggestion of any understanding or a partnership there. Granted their time together has been limited, but you usually get the sense that there’s something there quickly. 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Bale went 24 games for Spurs without a win so by your logic he is poo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

The one thing that makes me think he will perform is that he is in the last year of his contract.

Other than that, there has been no recent evidence that he will. 

Last season was stop start due to injury, suspension and court case.

However season before after a long lay off he got 5 in 10 games.

So it shows he is willing to come back, fight and show his worth.

But the more people bang on about doing nowt in years the more its believed. He will have last scored in 2001 soon.

The whole contract jibe is a lazy cliche.

3 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Bale went 24 games for Spurs without a win so by your logic he is poo.

Did he? Don’t remember that. Amazing.

So by your logic, you think I think Forestieri is poo. Which I absolutely don’t. And if you read my many many back posts on him you would know that.

But, replying to a poster saying Forestieri is the difference between us finishing mid-table and toppish, the results with him STARTING show how he should be used at present.

Edited by Holmowl