I’m glad we’ve hired Monk instead of the Cowleys...

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

Thats b*llocks.

Cowley or Monk - if we aren’t in and around the playoffs, both will be gone.

If the Cowleys failed, we’d all berate Chansiri for a gamble appointment and be on their backs - not a chance they’d be given more time if results went the wrong way

If Monk fails, we’ll hammer him for not going for someone off the managerial merry go round and do the same

Chansiri can’t win - but he’s gone for the easy option for someone who’s managed on this league before, can’t blame him

and the cheap option

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

Go on?

Quite simply, he has no real record of ever getting a side promoted, which is probably the chairman’s aim. Neither does he stay long enough to build anything sustainable, which would probably be my preferred option 

3 hours ago, torres said:

Totally agree. 

The reason so many got excited by the Cowley’s is because they have no “baggage”. 

Most of us are well aware of Monk and people make opinions prior to his appointment.

Id expect a lot had never thought about the Cowley brothers until this week! 

Monk is the best appointment we could have made in my opinion 

Agreed

Only at Wednesday could a fanbase get excited about the Cowley's who would be nothing but a punt 

i just hope Monk is given the support he needs.  He’s a better track record at this level anyhow. 

• Like 1

I was one of the fans in the Cowley's camp - there record at Lincoln is seriously impressive and if those same methods would work and bring a similar improvement to us then it would have been incredible. Saying that - it would have been a gamble, perhaps most managers in the Championship are already as tactically astute and them, and those methods wouldn't work as well. Hurst, Jones, etc - couldn't make the step up.

Whoever we had appointed would be a gamble of some sort. I was underwhelmed by Monk, but having looked again at his managerial record it is better than I thought - coming 8th with Swansea was impressive, and they sacked him too soon the season after. At Leeds he did a good job with a limited budget. Middlesboro not so good, but not really there long enough to find out, before a solid job at Birmingham. Time to get behind him and hope he can do a similar job for us. Seems he is defensively well organised and likes to counter-attack, so very similar to the Bruce template.

Also he's got a point to prove and will hopefully be able to stick around to continue to build the team. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Quite simply, he has no real record of ever getting a side promoted, which is probably the chairman’s aim. Neither does he stay long enough to build anything sustainable, which would probably be my preferred option 

He has as much need as us to make this a success. If he fails here, he will struggle to get a job. He has served his apprenticeship, now is his time to make his name and cement his career

2 hours ago, trev said:

Nah...not having it.

Monk won't be given the time to turn the whole club around. Which we need. His appointment has divided the fan base.

The Cowleys would have been afforded more time. They had the vast majority of fans supporting them and excited about them.

Fans can be fickle I know and it's a results based business. But I just think a few bad results and fans will be on his back early doors. 

He has a very tough job winning over a lot of people. I hope he does, but I just have a feeling he will be sacked within 18 months.

Only the idiots like you...the rest of us realise that we need to build again and this time do it properly with some young players coming into the club

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Although to be fair, he had 2 years at Swansea where it was impossible to get promoted.

1 year at Leeds, taking over a team that came 13th and no-one expected to go up.

Half a season at Boro - the only time he was expected to challenge for promotion and things seemed to go wrong (although in fairness they weren't far off the playoffs with all to play for when he was sacked). The main major black mark.

And 1 full season at Birmingham, who he had saved from relegation the previous season - and had a 9 point deduction, so practically impossible to get promoted.

6 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Although to be fair, he had 2 years at Swansea where it was impossible to get promoted.

1 year at Leeds, taking over a team that came 13th and no-one expected to go up.

Half a season at Boro - the only time he was expected to challenge for promotion and things seemed to go wrong (although in fairness they weren't far off the playoffs with all to play for when he was sacked). The main major black mark.

And 1 full season at Birmingham, who he had saved from relegation the previous season - and had a 9 point deduction, so practically impossible to get promoted.

Fair points, though it’s also worth pointing out that he had good squads at Swansea, Leeds and Boro. Taking into account resources, Carlos had a much better record here

I think the good squad at Leeds was partly down to his signings though - not sure how much say he had in signing Jansson and Roofe, but Hernandez and Bartley would definitely have been through him.

If he has the impact Carlos had, I wouldn't mind that at all. The first year and a half was great, but then we signed Winnall and Rhodes when we were dying out for that money to be spent on the parts of the team that actually needed strengthening, and everything went downhill from there...

9 minutes ago, Pieman said:

He has as much need as us to make this a success. If he fails here, he will struggle to get a job. He has served his apprenticeship, now is his time to make his name and cement his career

I think you're right about the apprenticeship. Hes had a lot of experience at 4 different clubs, it's time for him to step up now. It would be great if we'd got someone with a couple of promotions under their belt, but I'd rather have someone who's made his mistakes somewhere else and has learned from them than someone in his first job like Bullen. Just because he hasn't had a promotion yet doesnt mean he wont get us up. Hughton and Bruce didn't have a promotion on their CV's at one point. Let's hope we're the right club, with the right players at the right time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

...because the “smallest” club Monk has managed is Swansea. He will have a good grasp of big players’ mentality. The Cowleys were unproven in this aspect. 

I think monk is a solid appointment, what would have put me off is the outstanding investigation into alleged practices against the team he was managing

to benefit his agent and by implication him. I think the appointment is a reflection of DC's attitude i.e short termism

rather than the cowleys who could have been part of a long term strategy.

I prefer Monk over the Cowleys.  Proven record at a higher level, horriblebastard, point to prove and my Leeds mates all vouched for him.

The Cowleys would have been fine but I can't help but think that our fans have got a bit caught up in the "Wilder Model" and taking a chance on up and coming managers goes wrong at least as much as it goes right.

2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I prefer Monk over the Cowleys.  Proven record at a higher level, horriblebastard, point to prove and my Leeds mates all vouched for him.

The Cowleys would have been fine but I can't help but think that our fans have got a bit caught up in the "Wilder Model" and taking a chance on up and coming managers goes wrong at least as much as it goes right.

This for me is what we have lacked for a long time

You only have to look at the bloke across the city to know he's got that in abundance

We need someone who is going to kick some arses

In my opinion, man for man we had a better squad than Dem Blavdes last year, but we have too many players that might as well play in carpet slippers

I want a boss with a nasty side, Monk is feisty, he's got that nasty side

I was so optimistic when we signed Bruce, then down in the dumps when he left

I knew after struggling to beat Barnsley and Luton, we needed a manager

Monk will do nicely

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.