Hughton turns down job

4 minutes ago, A12owl said:

A genuine honest question. Why is it essential to have a manager with championship experience? Football is football and providing a manager has experience at a similar level abroad it should make no difference. In fact it might be better  . Different contacts in different countries . There are several instances of managers being successful in the championship with no prior experience . 2 of the 3 promoted managers didn't have championship experience until a couple of years ago . 

There is no quick fix and just because a manager has gained promotion previously.

It's all a bit of a pot luck. Some managers will get more out of a certain player than others  . We've seen it here. Pukki at Norwich is a good example.

Will the next manager approached feel badly after being second choice? Who knows. I Will be glad when it's all sorted.

Mr C will get it right. Nothing is rushed by him.

This 100%

37 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

Agreed.

What's frustrating is that we may have spent weeks chasing him, when we could have appointed someone else, who really wanted the job...

Bit like chasing a really fit bird, only for her to just turn out to be a co*k tease... When all the while you could have been banging her slightly porky mate with massive jugs!

lol

Great analogy that mate!

And i agree!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Half time Bovril said:

Birmingham and Brighton appealed to him, but the Wednesday job doesn’t what a 2hat

foook him hope he drifts into football oblivion and is never seen again rocking in his chair whilst we are premier and loaded

You're not bitter then.

:duntmatter:

Pity that CH does not want job but we move on. Transfer window closes in 8 days and we're unlikely to be appointing this week as LB in charge Saturday so time is very tight. Maybe another offered job this weekend but if not might as well let LB take first few matches and see how it goes. Any incoming manager would probably go with his advice anyway for these early matches.

6 minutes ago, A12owl said:

A genuine honest question. Why is it essential to have a manager with championship experience? Football is football and providing a manager has experience at a similar level abroad it should make no difference. In fact it might be better  . Different contacts in different countries . There are several instances of managers being successful in the championship with no prior experience . 2 of the 3 promoted managers didn't have championship experience until a couple of years ago . 

There is no quick fix and just because a manager has gained promotion previously.

It's all a bit of a pot luck. Some managers will get more out of a certain player than others  . We've seen it here. Pukki at Norwich is a good example.

Will the next manager approached feel badly after being second choice? Who knows. I Will be glad when it's all sorted.

If you are on a tight budget, which we seem to be on, I think it helps if you know the division. 

If you're coming in blind, you will have to give the current players time to impress, you will also need to find players who can improve the squad

Someone like Hughton or Rowett, will already have a pretty good idea of our players, they will probably have a pretty good idea of which players can improve us

With the window coming up fast, this is a massive help

A foreign manager will probably not have the insight of someone who has already managed in the Championship

It isn't essential, but it's a big help if you've already got a good idea of what the Championship is about

A foreign manager will catch up, a domestic manager has a bit of a start, that's all

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Not overly bothered if true tbh, not the biggest fan of Hughton and I reckon he’s generally in the same bracket as Pulis & McLaren. The main concern I have is the potential leap into the unknown with a manager we’ve never heard of. That said, there has been a number of good Portuguese coaches working over here recently.

This is old news. There is absolutely nothing in this article that wasn't known publically weeks ago, as Hughton stated he wasn't interested and nothing has changed since.

"A Wednesday source has told Football Insider that the Championship club have offered the 60-year-old the chance to take over the job......" - yeah, we probably did, about 3 weeks ago.

"going into the new campaign this weekend." - well there's breaking news! Well done Pete O’Rourke. Basically he is using this phrase to make it seem like the offer was made this week.

As for Hughton suddenly going back to favourite, unless there is some truth in the odds, I could lump £1000 on Bobby Robson being our next Manager, and within 5 minutes Sky would have cameras outside St. Jame's Park, and interviews lined up with Shearer and Morinho asking him how good he was and whether he will take the job!

Sh!te journalism at its best.

Edited by ChapSmurf

25 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I absolutely agree with most if not all of your points, however at this stage of the year, with the season starting, someone else's squad with the obvious flaws we have, feel experience of the league is a key attribute. 

There is no time to work on the training ground, it's all about recovery and a relentless fixture schedule. It needs in depth knowledge of the league.

With a full pre season and opportunity to recruit, no problem whatsoever. Farke for example at Norwich, first season he struggled, second season he excelled. The Championship is a unique league, as tough as it gets and far removed from anything most foreign managers will have faced.

I would have liked to see someone like Stendel considered as soon as Bruce left, but we've left it too late and seem to have been plundering a pretty shitty pool of out of work managers, pinned our hopes on the only one with a decent CV and now in a pickle.

Edited by striker

Just now, oldowl67 said:

For some reason my progress through this thread  stalled when I came to this. Had to really concentrate to break the spell!

:biggrin:

unless you've been following this since last week  it will seem a bit leftfield 

In short a poster i like on here said hughton was nailed on so I put my entire betting bank balance on him  but warned said poster I would seek him out if it's a wind up

@Costello 77 suggested i use the suitcase method i engage villanelle to do the deed  by giving him a happy ending and then 'came across ' this gif sums it up really 

Chris Hughton Looks  clear favourite to be Sheffield Wednesday manager0791ACB1-067E-4E7A-8955-CA245A797E7E.gif.667a6f58d3194ddd03b3ea15a22a7197.gif

Wait a minute

Chris Hughton Has turned down the role to become Sheffield Wednesday managerC135A420-1377-4C68-8918-E0B0D9137254.gif.322e7c4a3c6e2db9bef382acfefc7d23.gif

Never mind Sheffield Wednesday fans there’s always a Silverlining please welcome your next new manager 

Gary Rowett

D0E8394E-BACD-4AD9-994F-3BB01C12992B.gif.1c433b16ac705c069ff7010fc1edd07a.gif

• Haha 3

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

Not that fussed tbh.

If he wanted it he would have jumped at it 2 weeks ago.

If the Wednesday aren't good enough for you Chris then Fizz off

Exactly my feelings; I think we've hung on for too long hoping he'll come.