Hughton turns down job

5 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

You speak only for yourself...end of

You seriously think this squad, as it is now, is capable of a top 6 finish without significant transfer activity?

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We've released 6 players in Almen Abdi, George Boyd, Gary Hooper, David Jones, Marco Matias and Daniel Pudil

We've released 7 more from the development squad

And we've signed 3 players

13 out and 3 in, and we might still do some business before the window shuts

That's a pretty big shake up in my book

Those 6 senior players were always going to be released.  All their contributions to the team over the last 2 years have been disappointing for one reason or another.  All 6 are players in the autumn of their respective careers.  Several of those 6 will have been amongst our highest-earners.

Releasing older players like that at the end of their contracts, rather than moving them on for a profit before they get to the stage where no club wants to buy them, is bad business and a loss on the balance sheet.  That’s not something the club should be praised for given our recent run-ins with FFP.

If you’re going to include development players as a way to spin the situation, that’s a rather odd way of looking at things.  How many of those 7 development players had made more than 2 appearances for the first team?

And if we are going to do some transfer business before the window shuts, the club really ought to get a move on appointing a manager and getting some transfer deals done.  The club has been asleep at the wheel here for far too long.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Thats so wrong!!!!! "Ched and I".....FFS lol

No it’s not. If you were the only person in that sentence you would say “me”, not “I”. Therefore the correct grammar in this instance is “Ched and me”.

On another note, I apologise for being a smartarse knowitall nutsack! 

30 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

You seriously think this squad, as it is now, is capable of a top 6 finish without significant transfer activity?

Those 6 senior players were always going to be released.  All their contributions to the team over the last 2 years have been disappointing for one reason or another.  All 6 are players in the autumn of their respective careers.  Several of those 6 will have been amongst our highest-earners.

Releasing older players like that at the end of their contracts, rather than moving them on for a profit before they get to the stage where no club wants to buy them, is bad business and a loss on the balance sheet.  That’s not something the club should be praised for given our recent run-ins with FFP.

If you’re going to include development players as a way to spin the situation, that’s a rather odd way of looking at things.  How many of those 7 development players had made more than 2 appearances for the first team?

And if we are going to do some transfer business before the window shuts, the club really ought to get a move on appointing a manager and getting some transfer deals done.  The club has been asleep at the wheel here for far too long.

You said we hadn't shaken the squad up

Doesn't matter how you dress it up

There's been a turnover of 16 players

That's a pretty big shake up

• Like 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

19 hours ago, Nick13 said:

I'm sorry, but IF Hughton turned us down then his odds should have slipped more than they have done...…..Is all this because of ONE alleged report?.....and if it IS fact then the odds should reflect it...………………..and they don't!

I’m perhaps clutching at straws here too but none of the other press have run with it either. Normally a “ respected” journo runs a story and everyone lumps on. They haven’t and neither have the bookies. Wonder if they’ve checked his source and it’s poo ?

Football Insider is a rarely right "ITK" site though it it is worrying nobody's appointed yet you were shamefully treated by Ashley and Merrick. Bullen's in charge for now? I'm ignorant of him, but, short term he might be what you need.

8 minutes ago, Growl67 said:

It’s his loss if he doesn’t come. At 60 this could be his last major managerial job and I think it’d be great for both parties.

Agreed. I really don't see him getting a Premier League gig after the way it ended with Brighton, and the serious promotion candidates in the Championship have solid managers who are at least on par with Hughton and/or seem in a solid position.

On 31/07/2019 at 17:42, sweetsheri said:

"Eh up love, do you like flowers?"

"yes of course"

"Well, come and get yer twolips round this"...

'Do you like beef? Kop this it's dripping'

Do you like chicken, Try this it's fowl'

Chat up lines from Viz many years ago.