Opinion on Fletcher.....

Just wondering peoples thoughts on the potential of Fletcher leaving. Were all interested to see who will be retained or released and who if any of our sellable assets (Reach Bannan Forestieri Joao) will be sold. But no one has spoken about Fletcher.

This time last year most would have been looking to move him on, decent player but questionable injury record, doesn't score enough and as a certain pig said is one of many on 40k a week !!!! However, this year he has had a good year especially since Bruce came in, looks a lot fitter and has scored goals.

However, what do we do if someone does come in for him ? Do we take the money and save on wages or keep him for the last year of his deal in the hope his form continues ?

Personally I would take the money and hope that Bruce can get the best out of others or be canny in the transfer market. 40k a week is a big saving for FFP.

Thoughts ?

12 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Just wondering peoples thoughts on the potential of Fletcher leaving. Were all interested to see who will be retained or released and who if any of our sellable assets (Reach Bannan Forestieri Joao) will be sold. But no one has spoken about Fletcher.

This time last year most would have been looking to move him on, decent player but questionable injury record, doesn't score enough and as a certain pig said is one of many on 40k a week !!!! However, this year he has had a good year especially since Bruce came in, looks a lot fitter and has scored goals.

However, what do we do if someone does come in for him ? Do we take the money and save on wages or keep him for the last year of his deal in the hope his form continues ?

Personally I would take the money and hope that Bruce can get the best out of others or be canny in the transfer market. 40k a week is a big saving for FFP.

Thoughts ?

Doubt he is on 40k a week and also doubt if he has much transfer value. Personally I would keep him as he only 1 year left and always gives 100%. Would be dear to replace and is worth his spot in the team.

• Like 1

He has had a good second half of the season and looks the player we hoped he was, but for me does not score enough goals add to that his reported £40,000 a year or there about's salary if we were to get an offer in the summer I would be looking to move on.

Lets say this season we did not have Hooper or Fletcher on the books and the £3m+ we would have spent on their wages we had instead signed Gayle from Newcastle or Abrahams from Chelsea we could very well now be in the end of season play offs.

Fletcher is a good players as is Hooper but they are both the wrong side of thirty and over the last 2 season they have missed 40 games and 60 games respectively both had injuries that kept them out over a year.

Fletcher had played 43 games so far this season. Impressed by that and perhaps a lesson on writing people off. 

Regardless, I don’t think anyone would take his contract on at his age/wage so he will be here next season. No bad thing but we could probably deploy £40k a bit more prudently.

24 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Thoughts ?

Agree with all of this, last year at this time would have snatched someone's hand off if they took him of our wage bill. This year he has been very good and looks really fit. However History makes me think he plays right on the edge and could break down at any time.

So reluctantly I would move him on, 40k per week is a very useful budget.

Guest wilyfox

32, has a year left on high salary. If there's an offer...consider it. He's done very well this season despite his niggles, so there might be a chance to make a few quid on him. People would make a case to keep most of our players, but reality is we need to trade. 

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

He has had a good second half of the season and looks the player we hoped he was, but for me does not score enough goals add to that his reported £40,000 a year or there about's salary if we were to get an offer in the summer I would be looking to move on.

Lets say this season we did not have Hooper or Fletcher on the books and the £3m+ we would have spent on their wages we had instead signed Gayle from Newcastle or Abrahams from Chelsea we could very well now be in the end of season play offs.

Fletcher is a good players as is Hooper but they are both the wrong side of thirty and over the last 2 season they have missed 40 games and 60 games respectively both had injuries that kept them out over a year.

I'd extend his contract for a couple of years. I might even stretch to £45K per year. :Chansiri:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

No one will come in for a 32 year old on £40k a week.

And if they did, they wouldn't pay him as much so why would he leave. Clearly first choice striker at the moment.

It depends, Could he do a job for a lower Prem team (not the pigs)? Also how do we know he is on £40k a week, is this including bonuses or just basic.

He's shown his worth, just a case of keeping him fit and need a younger understudy who can play the same role and lead the line, to take the pressure off.

As for moving on, don't see anyone paying his reported wage, so fully expect him to see out his contract. 

I think Fletcher is a big player for us he’s really impressed last season 

the trick with Fletcher was always getting people near and around him we’ve seen since Bruce cane in the effect that’s had 

I think next year Bruce will have more pace and runners off him and he will be vital to how we play 

I really rate Fletcher his work really benefits others and he has got goals in him when the team is right

ill put money in him scoring 12 plus next year but being involved in much more 

I can see him if his wage demands beyond his current contract are reasonable extending his stay 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Thoughts ?

Needs to stay 100%

If there is one striker that we absolutely must keep this summer it's Steven Fletcher. He's been excellent all season in my opinion. If he stays fit during the early part of 2019/2020 I'd look to extend by another year provided that suitable adjustments could be made to his salary.

• Like 1

Love Fletch. Great attitude and strength. Great appearance record this year as well but... Can his body keep it up? We know he has a bad knee.

Cardiff or Huddersfield could come in for him, possibly. But not many others could afford his wages. But OP raises questions about our attack next year.

Will we play one up front next year? If so, we might want someone quicker. If not, then he would be may be a great foil for a young lad coming in on loan.

Pace is needed though. Don't think the answer is already at the club.