Opinion on Fletcher.....

I can't wait for Bruce to go out and bag us a couple of decent wingers over the summer to supply a starting pair of Rhodes and Fletcher. They'll get forty goals between them and fire us into the Premiership.

2 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Love Fletch. Great attitude and strength. Great appearance record this year as well but... Can his body keep it up? We know he has a bad knee.

Cardiff or Huddersfield could come in for him, possibly. But not many others could afford his wages. But OP raises questions about our attack next year.

Will we play one up front next year? If so, we might want someone quicker. If not, then he would be may be a great foil for a young lad coming in on loan.

Pace is needed though. Don't think the answer is already at the club.

I think one up front next season wouldnt suit. Really need Joao to step up next season. If we can offload winnall and rhodes too to bring in a new face even better.

1 minute ago, George said:

I can't wait for Bruce to go out and bag us a couple of decent wingers over the summer to supply a starting pair of Rhodes and Fletcher. They'll get forty goals between them and fire us into the Premiership.

I can just see those sprints into the box 

• Haha 3

Really difficult one this and i am a bit torn. As other's have said he's done really well this season and has led the line really well.

However he's 32 on big wages, lacks pace and is injury prone and for me just doesn't score enough goals for a striker. I think Bruce will want to bring in more dynamic younger players.

I don't have a problem with him staying or leaving to be honest and i would trust Bruce to make the right decision for the club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Really difficult one this and i am a bit torn. As other's have said he's done really well this season and has led the line really well.

However he's 32 on big wages, lacks pace and is injury prone and for me just doesn't score enough goals for a striker. I think Bruce will want to bring in more dynamic younger players.

I don't have a problem with him staying or leaving to be honest and i would trust Bruce to make the right decision for the club.

Despite all those valid points, out of our lengthy list of strikers hes the first name on the team sheet for me. Even if all fit.

We would have to sell all the others and sign 2 or 3 really nice,new, shiny strikers to not have fletcher in a matchday squad. IMO

7 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Missed chances and penalty cost us a place in the play offs.  If Celtic come in for him with a cash offer we should look at it esp. if we have managed to find a younger more mobile target man or Bruce thinks Joao can step up.

Rhodes and forestieri missed penalties for us too. Well FF did. Rhodes didnt take his

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

and penalty cost us a place in the play offs.

He also scored the 2 only goals in the win against Brentford, the only goal in the win against Swansea and the winner at Villa.

Silly argument really.

Still a decent player but not going to cut the mustard throughout the full season need younger legs also need to get the wage bill down would be best if he was to move on.

Need a similar type player but with more consistency

He’s played almost every available minute for Bruce. When unavailable or needing a rest it’s Nuhiu who has largely replaced him. So if he leaves it will be for a younger, fitter version of a target man.

If this is the type of footie Bruce fancies next season we don’t have a decent alternative. Joao, Winnall, Rhodes, Hooper - not one of them plays that role well. 

He came back this season fitter, leaner and faster than before. Hopefully with a Summer under Bruce that will see him come back even stronger in August.

Keep.

• Like 1

You know what you get with Steven Fletcher We should keep him, he's useful if we need to change things up Having said that, if we continue to play with just the one up, Fletcher most definitely isn't our man He's too much of a blunt object to act as our spearhead As one of a pair, maybe, For those suggesting he'd benefit from a couple of wingers, he might, but that makes Bannan redundant He can't play in a two

I'm still not convinced we as a club understand the concept of selling a player, so he'll be here. So long as Bruce wants him and he's physically up to it there isn't really a problem with that. Personally I'd like to see us reduce the wage bill and rebuild the squad but I can't see it happening.

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You know what you get with Steven Fletcher We should keep him, he's useful if we need to change things up Having said that, if we continue to play with just the one up, Fletcher most definitely isn't our man He's too much of a blunt object to act as our spearhead As one of a pair, maybe, For those suggesting he'd benefit from a couple of wingers, he might, but that makes Bannan redundant He can't play in a two

And yet our record with Bannan in a two is excellent.