Roland Nilsson memories

Short article on When Saturday Comes looking back at his career, mostly focusing on his time at Wednesday, with some nice photos in there too.

Incredible to think that he played a full game for Sweden then flew back and played the FA Cup final replay the very next day – such a classy player to watch.

https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/14190-focus-on-roland-nilsson-sheffield-wednesday-s-swedish-cult-hero

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Meadows said:

best full back we've ever had?

I'd go for best player...for his position....Simply fluid, professional, reliable, hardly ever injured.

I can remember all the rage about Lee Sharpe in '91, Roland had him on toast, with help from Johnny Harkes admittedly, 

You know when one of our full backs these days is on the ball, with a forward behind him, or whatever?

You shout "Clear it, Out it..." all sorts of advice...When it was Rolly............. I simply took another bite of me pie.........

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I'd go for best player...for his position....Simply fluid, professional, reliable, hardly ever injured.

I can remember all the rage about Lee Sharpe in '91, Roland had him on toast, with help from Johnny Harkes admittedly, 

You know when one of our full backs these days is on the ball, with a forward behind him, or whatever?

You shout "Clear it, Out it..." all sorts of advice...When it was Rolly............. I simply took another bite of me pie.........

Brilliant that Andy - summed him up perfectly.

A different level. Totally class that man.

One great memory if it serves me right was cup semi final second leg at home. We were 0-1 and he passed back to Woods, woods missed it (it was a little wild the pass) and it struck the post. Would have been 0-2 and level on aggregate. Am I right here or is my memory playing tricks ???

1 minute ago, WayneTheOwl said:

One great memory if it serves me right was cup semi final second leg at home. We were 0-1 and he passed back to Woods, woods missed it (it was a little wild the pass) and it struck the post. Would have been 0-2 and level on aggregate. Am I right here or is my memory playing tricks ???

Ha ha. Put the same thing at the same time.

Yes I remember it like it was yesterday. All 30,000 plus crowd went quiet for a second until it came back off the post.

We all wax lyrical about Waddle, Shez and Hirsty, and rightly so. But this guy was pure class. It’s also overlooked how stupid we were to let Palmer and Worthington go to Scum, both Mr Reliable. Whilst it would have been difficult to replace the first 3, we replaced the the latter 3 badly and the slide began. 

1 hour ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Yep, he was so good that he used to play his back passes perfectly via the inside of the post. 

Actually perhaps the only real mistake that I remember him making was in the LC semi first leg the following year away at Man Utd,  his bad back pass led to the only goal.