Roland Nilsson memories

30 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

We all wax lyrical about Waddle, Shez and Hirsty, and rightly so. But this guy was pure class. It’s also overlooked how stupid we were to let Palmer and Worthington go to Scum, both Mr Reliable. Whilst it would have been difficult to replace the first 3, we replaced the the latter 3 badly and the slide began. 

I actually rated Nilsson higher than those three and that takes some doing. Probably the only World Class or maybe touching World Class player I've seen in a Wednesday shirt, an absolute Rolls Royce of a defender. I thought he lost a yard of pace when he was injured in the 2-4 defeat away to Millwall which brought his level down to just brilliant !

8 minutes ago, Walt said:

I actually rated Nilsson higher than those three and that takes some doing. Probably the only World Class or maybe touching World Class player I've seen in a Wednesday shirt, an absolute Rolls Royce of a defender. I thought he lost a yard of pace when he was injured in the 2-4 defeat away to Millwall which brought his level down to just brilliant !

If he hadn’t left we might have seen a couple of years more of classic Waddle. Rolly always played the ball into his feet, as he needed. Nolan and Atherton couldn’t deliver a ball within a yard of him. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Ha ha. Put the same thing at the same time.

Yes I remember it like it was yesterday. All 30,000 plus crowd went quiet for a second until it came back off the post.

The whole thing was was in slow motion, the gasps from the crowd, the ball crawling towards the back of the net, the jubilation when it hit the post. Glad I remembered correctly, was only 11!!!

2 hours ago, the monk said:

Please can we look forward 

I get that response to people who are banging on about past failures. However, celebrating your memories of one of the best and most consistent players to ever wear a Wednesday shirt is not going to be an issue for the vast majority.  

• Thanks 1

Great great player he if had played for Manchester United, Liverpool or Arsenal would have been spoken in he highest regards by the British media.

Was always gutted when he came back to England and went to Coventry, typical Wednesday that we didn't insist on first dibs :mad:

Edited by Birstall Owl

2 hours ago, WayneTheOwl said:

The whole thing was was in slow motion, the gasps from the crowd, the ball crawling towards the back of the net, the jubilation when it hit the post. Glad I remembered correctly, was only 11!!!

Every rule has to have an exception, in this case the rule was Mr Nilsson was always reliable and just didn't make mistakes, this exception just proved the rule!

(I do remember pooing myself as it rolled goalwards and being aghast and astounded that it was Roly).

Edited by OWL1969

My main memory is of him hobbling off at Wembley being helped by Alan Smith in extra time of the FA Cup final replay, having played for Sweden the night before. Apart from that I remember the 2 mistakes in the semi finals as already mentioned which is strange when you think how good he was. I suppose he was so good and made everything look so easy that there arent that many spectacular memories that stand out. Even when he marked Lee Sharpe out of the league cup final, it just felt like it was Roland doing what he does. As has been said, he was a Rolls Royce. 

On 06/02/2019 at 19:13, matthefish2002 said:

Ha ha. Put the same thing at the same time.

Yes I remember it like it was yesterday. All 30,000 plus crowd went quiet for a second until it came back off the post.

Remember it clearly...

If I'm right it took the ball 7 minutes from leaving his foot to hitting the post...