Roland Nilsson memories

On 06/02/2019 at 19:12, matthefish2002 said:

I remember him v Blackburn 2nd leg League Cup semi at home 1993 and he tried a fancy pass with side of his foot across the area, he totally mis hit it and hit his own post.

this is my over- riding memory of Roly (good as he was)  WTF:  

40 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Petrecu and walker couldn’t even lace his boots, can’t comment on Pickering he was before my time. 

Petrescu laced his boots and wore them.  Was a class player and was a powerhouse at Chelsea and took England apart when he played for Rumania.  We should have offered the world to keep him on the books. 

As much as love Roland for me he has to share top spot with Petrescu. 

Pickering was way above both :biggrin:

Edited by Mycroft

12 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

The best player I’ve ever seen at Wednesday, best player in his position in the league and arguably the world . He would have walked into milans side the best in the world at the time. Absolutely first class player and professional 

Mauro Tassotti was playing right back for Milan then mate.

11 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Did anyone ever try and sign him from Wednesday?

There was a very strong rumour at the time that Manchester United wanted him but the board knocked back Fergusons for the 300 and odd k asked for as he was in trouble at the time and had already invested the bulk of their kitty on Pallister and Ince in the summer.

As it goes, Mark Robins famously saved red noses job and the following summer they signed Dennis Irwin. (Though he later ended up at left back)

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Petrescu laced his boots and wore them.  Was a class player and was a powerhouse at Chelsea and took England apart when he played for Rumania.  We should have offered the world to keep him on the books. 

As much as love Roland for me he has to share top spot with Petrescu. 

Pickering was way above both :biggrin:

All about opinion, mine is Peterescu was a class player but Roland was a World class player. 

Roland wins by quite a distance imo and probably most others on here.

You're right about Pickering though, he was tall.

Edited by OWL1969

21 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Sorry pal like I said can’t comment on Pickering, but Petrescu wasn’t even close to Nilsson, and I mean not a patch, Nilsson was the best in Europe for me at his peak, Petrescu wasn’t even i the top 3 right backs of his time in the top division let alone Europe. 

He was never the best in Europe I’m afraid.

very good though.

On 06/02/2019 at 19:10, WayneTheOwl said:

A different level. Totally class that man.

One great memory if it serves me right was cup semi final second leg at home. We were 0-1 and he passed back to Woods, woods missed it (it was a little wild the pass) and it struck the post. Would have been 0-2 and level on aggregate. Am I right here or is my memory playing tricks ???

I remember the gasp on the kop to this day...... but that aside what a class act he was!

8 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Sorry pal like I said can’t comment on Pickering, but Petrescu wasn’t even close to Nilsson, and I mean not a patch, Nilsson was the best in Europe for me at his peak, Petrescu wasn’t even i the top 3 right backs of his time in the top division let alone Europe. 

Sorry mate but you're wrong.  Ask Chelsea fans how good he was.

21 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

our

21 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

At his peak he was, he shouldn’t have been with us , although I love Wednesday he was well above our level

When would you say his peak at Wednesday was?

7 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Sorry couldn’t edit last post. Forgot to add. 

Imo he was at his peak when he arrived at S6 and he was just about dropping from world class to class when he left. In between he was at his peak permanently

Im not trying to catch anyone out I just think the Nilsson thing seems to grow legs every year that passes by.

people now describe him as world class but you would have to question why when he was at his “world class peak” he was available for £350k, was relegated and then playing in the English second tier and no one came in for him.

people are saying he could have played in the Milan back 4 and then forget that Tassotti was playing there who played 600 games for Milan and won pretty much everything and on more than one occassion.

very good player - one of the best in his position at the time in the top flight but I don’t think world class unfortunately.